The reality show to end 'em all...

  • Thread starter Thread starter Touring Mars
  • 20 comments
  • 1,267 views

Touring Mars

ツーリング マルス
Staff Emeritus
Messages
31,353
Scotland
Edinburgh
Messages
GTP_Mars
Endemol, the creators of Big Brother, go a step further this week with their decision to go ahead with a programme which seeks to highlight the shortage of organ donors in The Netherlands by having a terminally ill woman choose one of three 'contestants' to receive her kidneys... :sick: Entertainment or exploitation? For the greater good or just another new low in televisual history?

Article...
 
Wow.

It's like George Carlin said, if there was a game show where people committed suicide, there would be no shortage of people who would go on the show or watch it.
 
I'm most against there being only one benefiter when you only require one kidney.

Otherwise, I can't see much more wrong with it. I mean I know it pushes the boundaries of ethics, but it's not as pointless as many other reality shows.
 
I'm most against there being only one benefiter when you only require one kidney.

Otherwise, I can't see much more wrong with it. I mean I know it pushes the boundaries of ethics, but it's not as pointless as many other reality shows.

But that's just it. Only one person gets a kidney. And the others cry, feeling devastated they get to die? Nice idea for a show.
 
It's gruesome and voyeurish, but not quite bottom-of-the-barrel.

This, on the other hand, just might be...
 
:sick: That looks like pure Car Crash TV... most people will only watch it to see a bunch of sad little men who have nothing better to do humiliate themselves on TV... *downloads application form*

As for the organ donor programme, however, I can't see why they have to make it some sort of contest - or even a TV show. This country is short of sperm donors, but nobody's about to make a gameshow out of it - atleast I hope to God they're not :scared: I wouldn't be surprised if Endemol did it, however, since they seem to specialize in bringing us programmes starring a bunch of tossers...
 
This is awful...

The reality show to end 'em all...

Oh I wish they would all end :indiff:
 
But that's just it. Only one person gets a kidney. And the others cry, feeling devastated they get to die? Nice idea for a show.
But the point the show is trying to make is that most these people won't get a donor kidney and will die anyway due to the lack of kidney donors. So provided these people give their full consent to be seen on the show, can you really criticise the show for publicising their plight in an effort to increase awareness of the problem? I'd just like to add that I'm not naive enough to think that the company isn't doing this for some profit. (Text in advice... where's the profit going?).

Chris
This country is short of sperm donors, but nobody's about to make a gameshow out of it - atleast I hope to God they're not I wouldn't be surprised if Endemol did it, however, since they seem to specialize in bringing us programmes starring a bunch of tossers...
A sperm donor program would only be done to put pressure on the goverment to reverse the stupid laws they put in place a few years back.
 
Endemol, the creators of Big Brother, go a step further this week with their decision to go ahead with a programme which seeks to highlight the shortage of organ donors in The Netherlands by having a terminally ill woman choose one of three 'contestants' to receive her kidneys... :sick: Entertainment or exploitation? For the greater good or just another new low in televisual history?

Article...

And yet, it's Americans who are stereotyped as insensitive, tasteless boors.
 
insensitive, tasteless boors.

While we're on that subject, did you also see this? Begs the question, would you go into the Big Brother house knowing full well you may never see your own father again? Says alot about Endemol, but arguably it says more about the people who want to go on Big Brother... Has to be said, Endemol are not covering themselves in glory with the whole 'reality' TV thing now (if indeed they ever did...) If this is supposed to be 'real' life, I'll take this "bizarre fantasy" I'm living anyday... :crazy:
 
I take it she's a British porn star/drag queen/etc ?
 
Actress, thankyouverymuch.


Okay, topless page 3 model who takes herself too seriously. Compare, ironically, with Jordan.
 
She's a woman of many talents... Model, Z-list celebrity (for usage on reality TV programmes); Crash test dummy (airbags department); bouncy castle emulator...
 
Wow, could they have found a less-flattering picture of that 'Jordan' chap?
 
True... that's not the best picture of Jordan I've ever seen - but still, he does make a cracking internet forum :cheers:
 
It has to be said, that's pretty good...
 
During the show around 12000 people registered as a donor,
so you can't say the show has a bad effect

To think press from all over the world were present, even from japan :)
And most of them were really surprised that the show was fake :)
 
Maybe they're just saying it's a joke after so many criticized it. If it was all just a joke, I can think of better things to come up for a joke.

How about a TV show about an abandoned girl trying to start a new life with two men, either of which who could be her father, but they cannot find out 'cause momma whored it up with both of them at the time she was conceived.

Oh, wait...
 
It was joke?! Damn...I was looking forward to this show in a twisted sort of way.....
 
Back