The red steering dot above your RPM....

• Thread starter shifty24
  • 8 comments
United Arab Emirates
United Arab Emirates
So I've been running under the assumption since I started playing the game that when the red steering dot reaches either side of the edges, you are at full lock. This is just not true.

I use a Logitech G29, and the red dot reaches the edge at around 45 degrees steering angle either way. Today in warmup for a race i spun out and i decided F it lets see what happens when I go more. I stopped the car and held the rear view on, turned until the red dot stopped, and then kept turning the wheel. Lo and behold the wheels kept turning as I kept turning my wheel, all the way till the lock stop stopped it and I had a lot more angle on the front wheels. I have no idea what this red dot is for but there is a hell of a lot more lock than what that red dot shows you!

I can't confidently say for other steering wheels, but if you use a logitech G29, try it, and you'll see what I mean.

TL:DR. There's more lock on the steering wheel than the red steering dot across the top of your RPM meter.

I posted this to someone else today;

I have noticed this as well (using motion controls). I only tested it when rolling very slowly and stationary. At high speeds, more steering input is required to make the dot reach 'full lock' and I haven't noticed any difference in steering angle when turning the controller past that point. I might be wrong though.

Haven't really paid attention to it to be honest. Is it maybe a lateral g indicator?
It's definitely not a G indicator. It goes in the same direction you turn your wheel/stick. A G indicator would go in the opposite direction.

Straight from the manual:

http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gtsport/manual/#!/race/content02

number_13.png
Steering Angle/Gear Change Indicator
The red dot moves left and right to indicate how much you're steering in that direction. The shift indicator is shown below. This will light up when the engine revolution gets close to the red zone, letting you know when it's time to shift gears.

I think the Steering Angle is really more of a gauge for "effective steering" meaning that if you turn past where the red locks that steering more isn't going to help you change direction. This gauge could very well be linked to your speed but I will have to do a test and see if that is true.

Straight from the manual:

http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gtsport/manual/#!/race/content02

number_13.png
Steering Angle/Gear Change Indicator
The red dot moves left and right to indicate how much you're steering in that direction. The shift indicator is shown below. This will light up when the engine revolution gets close to the red zone, letting you know when it's time to shift gears.

I think the Steering Angle is really more of a gauge for "effective steering" meaning that if you turn past where the red locks that steering more isn't going to help you change direction. This gauge could very well be linked to your speed but I will have to do a test and see if that is true.
I think that is the case at racing speeds but at 10mph the in-game difference in steering angle past the dot reaching the limit is clear.

Back