The Ruins: Anderton's Long-Awaited Return is Nigh! (Oh yeah, SPOILERS too, so beware)

Messages
2,760
Hey everyone.

Whew! I've been away far too long. What have you all been doing sans Anderton's movie rants? Anyway, here goes nothing!

The Ruins

It's about a killer plant, people. And its biggest stars are Jonathan Tucker (from The Black Donnelys) and Jena Malone (from nothing of worth).
It's gory as hell, but there's no point to it. I extracted no joy whatsoever from watching the leg-amputation scene, and I've always said, "Gore for gore's sake is crap."

There were a few scenes that got my heart pumping, but every time I would be brought back to reality by remembering that the "villain" here is a vine!

It actually would have worked better as a monster or creature movie. It reminded me of The Descent, but without any of the awesomeness that movie had.

2/5, but at least it's better than 10,000 B.C!
 
It was an awful book so I wasn't expecting the movie to be good at all. I still can't believe the movie is about a killer plant, has the entertainment industry really gotten so lame that they have resorted to this? I blame Stephan King, he's allowed to get away with pure rubbish now so the rest of the industry thinks they can follow.

I really thought it would be rather Indiana Jones esque but it just wasn't. I don't understand what Hollywood's fascination is with horror movies are of as of late. It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't put out failures of movies.
 
Stephen King ain't to blame yo!

His books are generally pretty good reads, especially the Dark Tower series, which is being adapted into a miniseries by Lost director JJ Abrams. Hopefully it will come out better than The Stand miniseries, which was a PRIME example of how an absolutely awesome book was dulled down and somewhat destroyed as it made its transition to the screen (it was made into a 4-part, 8-hour miniseries for TV about ten years ago).
 
I just skimmed through 1 summary, and it looks like another horror movie that prides itself on the goriest situations you can think of, without any actual horror (like a monster that just comes out of nowhere and makes your heart skip for a second; no suspense in other words).

The one thing the summary didn't seem to talk about was, why the hell didn't they just get off the ruin? It just said 1 person gets off at the very end.
 
not that I'm looking forward to being flamed, but why couldn't this 'review' be posted on the What movies have you seen lately thread?
 
Speak not a word of ill against the Prime and his Movie Reviews, Tom Servo!

McLaren, to fill in the blanks, they can't leave the ruin because it is surrounded by some Mayan-descended (?!) villagers who will (and do) shoot them in the head if they step off the ruin (they are superstitious of the killer vine and believe all who touch it are cursed...yawn).
 
There's nothing wrong with creating a thread for a film review. The what films have you seen lately thread tend to attract more brief comments and opinions than sperate threads often do and they very rarely spark a discussion about the film. You arn't wrong to put the review in either, as long as a seperate thread doesn't already exist anyway.
 
Stephen King ain't to blame yo!

His books are generally pretty good reads, especially the Dark Tower series, which is being adapted into a miniseries by Lost director JJ Abrams. Hopefully it will come out better than The Stand miniseries, which was a PRIME example of how an absolutely awesome book was dulled down and somewhat destroyed as it made its transition to the screen (it was made into a 4-part, 8-hour miniseries for TV about ten years ago).

It seems as of lately thought has has been writing crap compared to the gold he used to produce. He's setting a standard that the horror genre doesn't have to be worth a damn anymore. James Patterson is doing the same thing with crime thriller novels.
 
Back