The SR-aw that broke the camel's back. I quit.

• Thread starter nuu1212
  • 44 comments
What in the world would you get a sailing penalty for? I’m genuinely curious, I would have never thought a penalty could be had in sailing. :)
You can go anywhere you want as long as you round the marks. Hitting a turning mark, going over the start line early, cutting off a boat that is on a starboard tack when you are on a port tack(rules of the road(right of way)). lots of racing rules. Most dont even know half of them.

Punting someone onto the beach?
LOL!!!! Cant make it to the beach. My boat draws 5 ft. More shallow than that and I'm grounded.

Last edited by a moderator:
The SR should only be rated when you're close to other players on the track. It's misleading to say that someone has behaved well in the last sector when there was nobody else around.

Is there a thread (or does someone wants to make one) that explains how to drive defensively but fairly against a dirty racer ? Like, what should you do to ensure you won't get a penalty when a guy dives on you ?

Because I understand the anger of the OP, losing time because you are getting pushed off track, spinning, destroying the tires etc is already an annoying consequence of meeting a dirty racer, but getting SR- and time penatly is just making it worse when you are the victim.

I'm sure the penalty system can work sometimes well; in campaign races, the penalty system is silent, but it is however functionning (it decides whether you get the clean race bonus or not) : I was doing a BMB the other day, and I had several contact with AI cars (never my fault), including a fairly "strong" one ( I think I even touched the wall because of it) and I still got the clean race bonus. Point is, the penalty system sometimes detects correctly whose fault it is.

Is there a thread (or does someone wants to make one) that explains how to drive defensively but fairly against a dirty racer ? Like, what should you do to ensure you won't get a penalty when a guy dives on you ?

Because I understand the anger of the OP, losing time because you are getting pushed off track, spinning, destroying the tires etc is already an annoying consequence of meeting a dirty racer, but getting SR- and time penatly is just making it worse when you are the victim.

I'm sure the penalty system can work sometimes well; in campaign races, the penalty system is silent, but it is however functionning (it decides whether you get the clean race bonus or not) : I was doing a BMB the other day, and I had several contact with AI cars (never my fault), including a fairly "strong" one ( I think I even touched the wall because of it) and I still got the clean race bonus. Point is, the penalty system sometimes detects correctly whose fault it is.

If I find I'm being dogged by a dirty racer then I just let them by. The cost to my SR is not worth the position. With dirty racers there is a good chance they will either 1) Take themselves out or 2) Crash with someone else taking them and/or the other driver out.

Either way the result is my position improving by at least one, and possible more.

Always watch your mirror. If someone comes barrelling up your inside at a corner straighten up your car and stay on the brakes. Watch them fly by, cut back up their inside and keep going.

Why even bother about SR/DR? Unless you’re a ‘Pro’ who’s challenging for the big prizes in FIA.

These days I just race online for fun. Strange concept I know. I’m more interested in improving my speed and racecraft than SR/DR.

>system is flawed
>"Ahh who cares!"
There are definitely a lot of people who race for SR and DR, the first because they want clean drivers, and the second because they want to race against drivers on the same level.

I feel that people put way too much stock in their DR/SR. It's to the point that it impedes their enjoyment of the game.
I can understand peoples frustration when the DR/SR system is not working like it is supposed to work. I made the mistake of believing that there would be clean racing in A lobby full of B/S driver and I can understand others for believing that SR S rated drive would drive a clean race. Most of the full B/S races are full of red dots at the end of the race and only the guys in front wil have blue SR.

I used to care more about being clean and keeping my SR high. This mentality caused me a lot of frustration and was bad for DR. The times I got run of from behind because I was stuck behind a slow driver that was blocking like a maniac and slowing me down are over. I feel like you need a move or be moved mentality at the lower DR levels.

I can understand peoples frustration when the DR/SR system is not working like it is supposed to work. I made the mistake of believing that there would be clean racing in A lobby full of B/S driver and I can understand others for believing that SR S rated drive would drive a clean race. Most of the full B/S races are full of red dots at the end of the race and only the guys in front wil have blue SR.

I used to care more about being clean and keeping my SR high. This mentality caused me a lot of frustration and was bad for DR. The times I got run of from behind because I was stuck behind a slow driver that was blocking like a maniac and slowing me down are over. I feel like you need a move or be moved mentality at the lower DR levels.

The system is definitely not perfect. I'm not ignorant of that. I played Sport Mode regularly for 8 months and I fell into a trap of caring too much about my rating. Yes, you should always aspire to race as cleanly as possible, but unless you run an exclusive lobby with specified ratings and a pool of players you absolutely trust, Sport Mode is almost always going to match you up with potentially problematic drivers. That's a risk many are willing to take. I feel that I peaked as a driver with my B/S rating, but was mainly turned off by the limited Daily/Weekly Race offerings. I switched to lobbies because I wanted the opportunity to compete against other drivers, but with less restrictions (tuning, car choices, etc.).

I think DR and SR matter a lot with regard to the other drivers you are stacked against in the daily races. If your rankings are low, you will be placed against similar drivers and this is what happens. I know it can be a real chore to improve your rankings, but if this stuff really bothers you, maybe it is worth the effort.

Racing for SR/DR is kinda like putting the cart before the horse. SR is no problem as it's a doddle to max out (if you're reasonably competent) and DR takes care of itself once you hit your peak.

If you're clean and <---this---> fast, rank knows where to put you. No intervention needed from you other than a consistent performance.

The system is definitely not perfect. I'm not ignorant of that. I played Sport Mode regularly for 8 months and I fell into a trap of caring too much about my rating. Yes, you should always aspire to race as cleanly as possible, but unless you run an exclusive lobby with specified ratings and a pool of players you absolutely trust, Sport Mode is almost always going to match you up with potentially problematic drivers. That's a risk many are willing to take. I feel that I peaked as a driver with my B/S rating, but was mainly turned off by the limited Daily/Weekly Race offerings. I switched to lobbies because I wanted the opportunity to compete against other drivers, but with less restrictions (tuning, car choices, etc.).

The thing I like about the daily races is that you can jump right in. I used to race a lot in lobbies in GT5 but times were different then. I can no longer spend a whole saturday or sunday on playing online and don't heve the time to find a lobby that I like. Another thing that annoyed me back then was when you finally did find a lobby, the host kicked you out because the host did't like the flag next to your name. Daily races or perfect for people like me that get to play for an hour before going to bed and want to do a quick race or 2.

The thing I like about the daily races is that you can jump right in. I used to race a lot in lobbies in GT5 but times were different then. I can no longer spend a whole saturday or sunday on playing online and don't heve the time to find a lobby that I like. Another thing that annoyed me back then was when you finally did find a lobby, the host kicked you out because the host did't like the flag next to your name. Daily races or perfect for people like me that get to play for an hour before going to bed and want to do a quick race or 2.

Depending on lobby structures, some are designed as casual pop-ups where you can race once or twice and go on with your day. Sure, there are some lobby runners with unwarranted vendettas, but we're not all like that.

I feel like decreasing the rate that SR is earned and increasing the rate that it is lost (while reducing the threshold for a DR reset and/or not making it a “full” reset, but just a letter grade drop) would be an improvement to the system, though not ultimately a fix.

It’s always been too easy to gain SR and hold on to it, pretty much since the closed beta everyone was bunching up at the top despite the fact that there were clearly dirty drivers amongst the ranks. It’s currently very easy for someone to cause some major incidents in a long race and recover all the SR they lost within just a few more clean races. If SR points were treated more in a similar fashion to DR points, with increased amounts required to traverse the higher letter grades, as well as reduced earnings the higher the letter grade, there’d be an immediate improvement.

Ultimately the best solution is a better penalty detection system, but what I just outlined is something that PD can do fairly easily without a complete reworking of the penalty detection system.

Back