The 'tape over your brake indicator' experiment

• Thread starter humpus
  • 72 comments
In GT4 you're able to turn off the suggested gear indicator / brake indicator. Unfortunately this feature is locked in GT5:P.

Now I know not many people turned this feature off (or even knew it could be turned off), so here's what I did:

I simply put a piece of ducktape over the place where the suggested gear pops up.
I marked the spot in yellow on the following picture:

3639991535c1d5945853.jpg

What almost everybody is doing right now in GT5:P is just waiting for that red flashing number to pop up and start braking... Trust me, you are.

So go and give this a try, you'll notice you (almost) never picked any braking points by surrounding signs or other track elements. As a result this does take some getting used to, but I find it much more rewarding in the end.

Personally, I think this feature should always be disabled in pro mode. If you're someone like me, who turnes TC and ASM off, why would you need help spotting your braking points?
Ofcourse, a lot of you aren't going to agree with me on this one. Maybe it's an option we'll be able to select for private online races :P

Btw: If you own an expensive TV, I wouldn't use ducktape ofcourse.
Doesn't matter how you do it, just make sure no light comes through that spot.

So go and give it a try, and post your thoughts!

Sounds like someone is eating their words. I've been using physical markers on track since I started play Gran Turismo and any other racing game or in real life.

It's always a good thing not to assume everyone is like you.

First of all, as a forum member here you should know we don't insult people directly.

Second: if I'm fast, I can say whatever I want? That's crap.
And no, I don't hold any top 3 times. And since it does matters that much to you: I'm quite OK, but defenately not one of the fastest. Even all my geniousness can't help me beat everyone out there

This is still a forum, last time I checked. A place where people post ideas and opinions and share them with others in order to start a discussion.

First, I didnt insult anyone, directly or inderectly. Because I called out your ignorance doesnt mean I insulted you.
Second, I never said you can say anything if you are fast.
Third, you didnt state an opinion, but what you did post was an idea along with how you know what everyone does:tdown:

I never really knew what that flashing icon was, the braking indicator anyway.

I always look at my surroundings, there always seems to be some sort of tree, shadow, marker or even change of grass to gravel to show where the braking zones are. They vary with different cars but i find they're easy enough. I don't think the feature is useful at all, and the flashing gets annoying at times.

I've never really found that indicator right. Not only are the brake points wrong, so are the recommended gears. Often I am able to brake later and less than the indicator or driving line show. That usually puts me in a higher gear as well.

Besides, I am not duct taping my HD TV!

Humpus,

I agree with you. I wish the light were able to be shut off.

No matter how I try to ignore it, IT IS THERE. Sometimes I see it. Sometimes I just see it subconsciously.

I try not to let it affect me, but there is no way I can be 100% sure I have succeeded.

I think this is what you are trying to say.

Everyone else, don't get so bent out of shape! Humpus just used a little too much imagination when he told us what we were doing. ;-)

Dave

I may have stept out of line a bit in the OP, but Dave (and enough of others) are getting the point. I for one can not ignore it, and I'm glad I'm not alone.

As for those who've never noticed it, didn't know what it was, or simple have the willpower to ignore it: you're blessed.

And if you can still play GT4 and you're willing to give it a try, put your screen mode to 'simple' in options (that way it's turned off) and share me your thoughts :)

According to the OP, when the gearshift indicator starts to flash it's time to start braking, I cannot say i've ever noticed it, nor am I near my PS3 to try.

This is the first time I have heard about it being a braking point,I have seen it and its not for braking point its the suggested gear for a corner like in an F1 car and normally its wrong,for example through the esses it suggests 3 or 4 but I always go in 5(f2007).Braking points are located before every corner on all proper tracks,like before degner 150 metres,100 metre and so on,they are the braking points for example when you turn in karusell on the RING there is a very tall tree and its been featured in GT4,FORZA and some other games and it shows if there are no signs telling you how far the apex is then aim for landmarks.Flashing gear is not a braking point and its generally wrong.

Trust me, you are.

I have never used the gear thing as an indicator to brake. I always used my instincts really, sometimes a mark or an object on the race track helps. (Before the chicane @ Fuji, I brake where the 'dark' spot is on the track) 👍

"...What almost everybody is doing right now in GT5:P is just waiting for that red flashing number to pop up and start braking... "

In this quote, you may or may not be correct...but as has been stated before, I'm one of those players who does NOT wait for a 'light' to tell me when I should/should not 'brake'...and/or when I should/should not 'shift gears'....as I've got a keen ear for actually listening to the car's engine and then shifting gears that way.

Secondly, since I've been playing GT5:P on my roommates Ps3, I've only been driving using the 'cockpit view' and quite honestly, I hadn't noticed the 'shift indicator' was even 'on' until just before making this post, I threw the game in and went for a quick spin and finally noticed it!

As for on track markers to look out for, I've been doing that since GT3...which is right about the time I started playing it seriously.

As for the
"...Trust me, you are...
part of your closing statement...

SimRaceDriver
"ummmm...No I'm not! So stop assuming everyone is as ignorant as you!

Is all I'm going to say on that subject matter!

SimRaceDriver

Coming from PC sims I am used to using the darker lines on the track as the method of initially finding braking points (i.e. the extra rubber put down by other cars braking).

That works most of the time in GT5P, but sometimes you have to use cues on the side of the road.

About the only place I've never found a decent cue for is the busstop on Daytona road, and like others I use the flashing light and wait a bit then brake. But that's simply because there's a total lack of decent marker for that corner, which is very annoying.

I can say that I am definitely not infuenced by the flashing gear indicator in the crner of the screen, I barely even notice it most of the time as I'm usually concentrating on my approach to whatever corner I'm about to negotiate.

I have to say, ever since I'm playing on another TV (widescreen) I don't notice it that much either.
Finally I can ignore it and start remembering braking points :)

Back