The thing I hate most about GT...

  • Thread starter Thread starter DeadlyFred
  • 17 comments
  • 1,073 views
Messages
73
... is when they toss some stupid car into a race that totally outclasses everything else. :irked:

It'd be nice if half the 700 cars in the game were actually viable to drive in half the races. No, you gotta pick something that can actually stand a chance of beating the one random supercar that laps everything else on the track, stupid. GT3 did it, GT4 does it... it'd be real nice if they could be a little more narrow when picking cars to fill the grid in GT5. :banghead:

I was all excited to use my '05 Mustang on the American Championship and, whee, I did great in the qualifiers but, hey.. what's this flat little thing... oh, its a... Chaparral race car that just lapped me... and everyone else. Determined to be optimistic, I start the race anyhow, in 2nd place. By the end of the 3rd lap I was still comfortably in second, and that stupid Chaparral was about halfway to lapping the 6th position.

This is dumb, it's redundant, and it really makes the game ALOT less interesting.

Please stop, PD, it makes the Pony cry.
 
Oh no you didn't just use my line. :eek:

I'm going to try this Shelby... if it doesn't work, I guess I have to break out an LMP again, heh.
 
I don't think any line is gona help me win this, heh. Qualified 2nd again with a fully tricked Cobra and the Chaparral still got about 17 seconds ahead by the last lap. I ran some of the best laps I've ever run on Seattle too, heh. That Cobra's fun to drive... but unfortunately it just doesn't cut it I guess. I don't think any ammount of driving skill is gona make up a 17+ second differential. :irked:
 
Yup, it's barely enough. I've gotten gold on all but the NY race so far... guess I'm gona need something fancier to get that one, heh.
 
The thing that pisses me off most about GT4 is how rigidly the third-person camera is "attached" to the car. The movement in GT1-3 was WAY better!
 
mclaren777
The thing that pisses me off most about GT4 is how rigidly the third-person camera is "attached" to the car. The movement in GT1-3 was WAY better!

i thought it was much better........
 
Yeah that sucks, it pisses me off when it puts something that is totally outclassed in the field that brings your a-spec points right down. Like having the 63 corvetter race car in against stuff like the GT-1 or the Ford GT spec II. it was a bloody hard race to win at leguna seca cos the Lemans cars just bolted off yet I got 10 a spec points cos it had some old crap mobile that we lapped.
 
mclaren777
The thing that pisses me off most about GT4 is how rigidly the third-person camera is "attached" to the car. The movement in GT1-3 was WAY better!

For sure - I used to play from outside the car in GT3, but within two laps (I guess license tests) I was inside the car becasue it was far harder from outside. I loose all sense of how the car is reacting from the outside view, it seems to give no feedback until it's too late to recover. Inside the car is nice. :)

DeadlyFred
Hey buddy, this is my gripe thread!

I was thinkin' about starting a gripe thread kinda like this, but it was going to be: I hate.. but I love... - you state what you hate about GT4 (and we've all got some gripes), then you state what you love about it to kind of balance things out.

I think I'll just try and hijack this one :sly: :)

I hate: The way the AI brakes way too early when you're chasing them, yet when they're behind you they slam you off the track!?
I love: Setting the cars up for drifting and then hangin' the back out for as long as possible and linking the next corner and doing it all over again - the accurate tuning in GT4 makes this possible. :)

Your turn?...
 
Personally, I'm getting frustrated running the Rally Races, and getting the 5-second penalties. I finally figured out that if I slide the TAIL end of the car into the walls, it doesn't penalize me, but it seems that the slightest contact with the AI car will penalize me. Not only that, but if AI hits me, ~I~ get the penalty. That gets frustrating over the course of a competitive rally event.
 
The Rabbit is my major peeve too. It's incredibly unrealistic and it would have taken about 8 lines of code to fix, so it must be on purpose. It ruins the Classic Car series, too, amoong others.
 
jadcock
Personally, I'm getting frustrated running the Rally Races, and getting the 5-second penalties. I finally figured out that if I slide the TAIL end of the car into the walls, it doesn't penalize me, but it seems that the slightest contact with the AI car will penalize me. Not only that, but if AI hits me, ~I~ get the penalty. That gets frustrating over the course of a competitive rally event.
I really hated all of the normal and hard rally races(especially the ice and snow ones)before, but then for a while I really got into just tuning and drifting heavier cars like the chaser and got pretty good at it. Then yesterday I decided to have a go at some of the special conditions races and by last night I had finished all of the races except for a few of the hard races. Practicing drifting really helped me with car control and anticipating what the car was going to do next during the rallies. BTW the stock mitsu super rally car is a really good car for all of the SC races until the hard races.
 
DeadlyFred
Yup, it's barely enough. I've gotten gold on all but the NY race so far... guess I'm gona need something fancier to get that one, heh.
I got the c5r and sadly had to put the big turbo on to beat that champoinship. But it worked! And try exiting and re-entering until none of the capparals are there.
 
greenjack
I got the c5r and sadly had to put the big turbo on to beat that champoinship. But it worked! And try exiting and re-entering until none of the capparals are there.

That's pretty much what I ended up doing, though I got through the series only missing a gold on the NY Circuit with my Camaro Race Car. I went back to redo just that one and, surprise, no Chaparral; I beat it easy.

What I find really odd is that the Arcade mode usually does a really good job of turning out a pretty even competition for races. :irked:

The GT mode seems to just say "X Country, Greater than X Horsepower, X Class" and pops out a bunch of random cars. Not only on the high end of the spectrum but on the low end also. What fun is it when one of the opponent cars is trailing by 30 seconds?

I think perhaps in the future they might want to record the 1/4 mile time for all the cars, and sort them based on that, rather than on-paper specs. Might make for some more even and competitive races.
 
Back