The tire war!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Zuel
  • 22 comments
  • 1,508 views

Zuel

United Sports Car Champ
(Banned)
Messages
2,095
United States
Burke, Fairfax,
Messages
GTP_STRIKER
Messages
Xbox SUCKS
I must know why are 99.9% of us continue to run on soft tires?

I myself have been running on medium to hard tire since GT3. I find it more of a challenge to run on medium and hard tires because I got more of a thrill knowing the car could come lose at any time pending on how hard I pushed. I want to know how many more think this way and if they think using soft tires is a crutch beside myself. Any body could be fast on soft tires some faster than others pending on setup. But can you keep up with medium to hard tires?
 
I'm more into the sports tires. Hard being my favorites, but I'm not usually into races or time trials, just cruising for fun.
 
I enjoy running on sport tires while in a road car soft tires are out of the equation though. To me soft race tires on a road car is lame.
 
Couse Race medium to hard tyres make you slower (Unless longer races with tyre wear on).
And with Race softs u can go faster but it loses grip more agressive.
More speed more fun :p
I do lots of online racing but for roulette and slower cars its more fun with the sport tyres.
On A-spec and seasonal i use mostly sports too.
 
I think it just comes down to personal preference. Some like like the harder tyre for more of a challenge, some prefer racing softs for more grip & quicker times. To each their own, as long as you are enjoying your game the way you want, who cares how anybody else prefers to enjoy their game.
 
I want to know how many more think this way and if they think using soft tires is a crutch beside myself. Any body could be fast on soft tires some faster than others pending on setup. But can you keep up with medium to hard tires?
Everybody is faster on soft tires, but it's a false assertion that it's a "crutch" for weaker drivers. I had a look through the results of different WRS time trials and each event on race tires had a much larger spread between fast and slow drivers than events with sport or comfort tires. In other words, slower drivers don't fall further behind but rather close the gap as you reduce the grip.

Rather than tires, what really seems to separate fast and slow drivers is cornering speed. Any time you go to a car with higher cornering speed the faster drivers seem to take better advantage, and since soft tires increase cornering speeds it has the effect of widening the gap.
 
Personally, I prefer racing softs. Why? Well, If, in real life, I went to a race track, with my production car, I wouldn't want to crash. I like driving/racing in GT5 also, not so much fond of crashing. Racing softs help keep me from crashing. And when i am driving a "race car" in Gt5, it occurs to me that racing tires just might be the better choice. For me, it's like this: winter tires are for winter, summer tires are for summer, dirt tires are for dirt, racing tires are for racing.
 
Some race drivers have reported that while slick tires do have excellent grip they lose it less progressively than street tires do. That means that over the limit slicks can be more dangerous.

In general the tire model of GT5 is rather fluffy (that's why we can't adjust the tire pressures nor are we shown the tire temperatures) so it's a matter of taste what tires people use. Personally i tend to use sports tires on street cars and racing tires on race cars because thats the way i enjoy the game best. :)
 
Last edited:
I must know why are 99.9% of us continue to run on soft tires?
I use them simply because everyone else does. I'd be happy to run lesser tyres more but its
not easy finding a room that does so, so I just go along with what the room's doing

ps. Just noticed you maybe weren't talking solely about online. So yes, in offline mode I do use
what I consider to be the appropriate tyre for the given event
 
I only use racing softs on my Enzo(I need a bit more practice with it) and a few race cars, it frustrates me to constantly see people running racing softs online, I was in a lobby yesterday which was restricted to under 475 PP so I hopped in my new Silvia which had sports soft thinking it would be a good race, and everyone else had racing soft! So I left.. Racing softs are completely unrealistic and it's hard to find a good fun room where nobody runs racing softs... I prefer sports hard or soft, that way I can "feel" how much grip I have, etc. I usually lose in room where everyone is running racing softs, but in a room where everyone is on sports tires, I always place in the top 5 and usually in the top 3... If I want unrealistic amounts if grip and other "sensations" that racing softs provide, I'll go play another game like NFS.. Is it obvious that they frustrate me? :p
 
I use racing hard, namely because I use the DS3 and I'm quite aggressive in turns.
 
Race softs are about as realistic as me racing in F1. i avoid those for most of my GT5 driving.

since i'm a moderate driver at best, my thing is taking basic cars (like the BMW 120i or 120d), mod to max, and put Race Hards, no aids, hit the 'ring. with Sports or Race Hards that's a lot of fun. with softs it's just an arcade game and nothing more. totally unrealistic, but different strokes...
 
sport hard-soft usually
i just buy ever tire for every car just incase
 
Sports soft are my tyre of choice when racing properly. If im having a grinding session then race softs it is, just to do the races quicker.
 
I agree that racing soft’s are the biggest crutch in the game. With softs on I don’t even have to come close to my braking point or I can miss an apex by a mile and still recover. I feel that using sport or racing hard tires make me a much better driver. I have to be on top of my game to win. GT5 makes it too easy by allowing soft’s in most races. I’ll admit that as soon as I feel intimated the first upgrade I do is super slicks, and when I have a 45 sec. lead it feel s like cheating. It’s not my fault the A.I.’s are not smart enough to run soft’s. I know in the extreme challenges I would have killed for a set of soft’s, but I stuck it out and I think became much better driver and Learned a lot about set up without the crutch.
 
I just got done racing with a few of my tuning to prove a point to them about running Soft racing tires. We ran 20 laps on soft then 20 on mediums at Nurburgring GP/F. The first race I placed with in the top 10 which is the norm, when we went to mediums I grabbed the lead by lap 7 and increased my lead by 15 second by lap 15 then a kept a steady pace. Most of them got a little hot that I beat them by 15 seconds and the other understood what I was talking about this whole. Some of them are going to re-tune their cars to run better on a harder tire now.

I wounder if the WRC and the other sub divisions would change the ruling on the tires to make it more of a challenge. It's one of the main reason why I haven't entered in this years WRC or any of the other sub divisions.
 
Personally, I try and use realistic tyres for the cars, you don't get Suzuki Swifts with slicks in real life, I try to use the same rule in online lobbies, if I have the limit set to below 450, comfort softs are the max, 450 - 525 = sports hard, 525 - 575 = sports soft, 575 - 650 = racing hard, 650+ = racing softs
 
Everybody is faster on soft tires, but it's a false assertion that it's a "crutch" for weaker drivers. I had a look through the results of different WRS time trials and each event on race tires had a much larger spread between fast and slow drivers than events with sport or comfort tires. In other words, slower drivers don't fall further behind but rather close the gap as you reduce the grip.

Rather than tires, what really seems to separate fast and slow drivers is cornering speed. Any time you go to a car with higher cornering speed the faster drivers seem to take better advantage, and since soft tires increase cornering speeds it has the effect of widening the gap.

I think its that slow drivers rarely use harder tires. I bet most of the people using sport hards or comforts and things like that realized that Racing softs are overkill and not that realistic, and are seeking a more realistic experience. Also, i think it is more rewarding to use the harder tires (or whatever the AI is using in A spec.
 
I prefer the lower grip tyres, but it is massive fun to put racing softs on a race modded Elise :) The way it corners is simply incredible!
 
they need to not allow racing tyres to be mounted to street cars. make it that racing tyres can only be used on "race" cars.
 
It's simple to find a room/lobby with Sports tires (or any tire you like). Just make it yourself.

I tune all of my street cars on sports tires. My Enzo is kind of fun on Sports Hard in the Super car seasonal. Doesn't win much, but what's the point if you're going to win every race.

I was just racing with some friends on Daytona Speedway and was told more than once that I wasn't using RS tires. I knew that!

I do like Racing Hard tires for my Super GT cars (and leave the cars stock!).
 
Why just single out tires?...Why not ask the same about turbos or excessive PP or ask "Why did you throw that wing on the back,it looks silly?"
There are many ways to stack the deck in ones favor.
 
Becuase this thread is on tires. If you got to put power adders to your race car to keep pace the you really have no skills point blank. If some people get upset for that comment then they've seen my point. I can understand putting a rear wing on a car, but only if needed. On some cars it works fine and on others it totaly throws the car off balance then you have to find out what to change. That can be a real headach the work thourgh, some time it really just waste of time that why a barely do it.

I've came to realize that a lot of people came to follow the norm when it comes to GT5. To me it's pathetic, if I ruffel some feathers so be it. Though it's my own opinion.

Yes the tire model is way off to be frank, really way off. If there was a way to get to it changed then I'm all for it. Buy we all know it will never happen due to the cry babies.

Ok enough of fire back to the matter at hand but at a later time.
 
Back