The two most important missing features

• Thread starter machscnel
  • 10 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
GTP_machschnel
As we near closer to the release of GT5, I'm concerned that certain aspects that are rather important may not be implemented. These are -

1.A realistic driving view,

2.Being able to lock the DFGT at whatever degrees you like.

Now, I know some people will argue that the current cockpit view is very realistic, but it's not. When your driving you don't see the roof or the steering wheel and if ever you do they are only in your peripherals. Not to mention the fact that most of us already have a steering wheel in our lap a few feet from the moniter! A perfect view would make me feel like I was in the car, driving it and would look like it too. You would have your steering wheel in your lap, then a little bit in front of you would be your screen, (which with a realistic view) would be showing maybe the top of the dash and the windscreen, that's it.

When I purchased the DFGT I automatically fell in love. It changed the whole way I play driving games. But the lack of adjustment to steering wheel lock out points is a joke. The DFGT can do it (see GTR2, GTR Evo), why hasn't Polyphony allowed for us to do it? And before you try to argue against me, go drive the F2007 with 900 degrees of steering...... that's not how it should be at all and with the inclusion of a vast variety of cars, I see the ability to change lock -out points on the fly as essential.

The driving view seems dead on to me. In fact, I took a picture from inside a car from my eye level and compared it to the cockpit view of GT5P and it lined up to probably 95% accuracy which was stunning. The A-Pillar and rear view mirrors block you view in real life as well in the game. The game's A pillar and rear view mirror location matched my real picture perfectly.

May I suggest moving your wheel closer to the screen if possible? I think the A-pillar etc distracts people more in the game because they sit so far back from the screen and they notice everything else more. (they may be restricted to some sort of cockpit) My setup is where I have the wheel clamped 1 foot (30 cms) from the TV. That way your vision is narrowed and you are looking out the window more like you would in real life and any false 'back seat' feelings that are derived from racing the car from the back seat, or several feet away, are done away with.

If that doesn't work then you need a bigger TV. At least 32". I say that because in real life what size TV would it take to fill up your windshield? How can you expect a realistic cockpit view with a small 20" TV? When you say you only see outside your windshield and just a bit of your dash that's because your windshield is so huge and it takes up alot of your vision, but the A pillar, rear view mirror, dash etc are still there, but make up a small percentage of your vision. In the game the a pillar, dash and rear view mirror take up a small portion (maybe just 30%) of your visibility but you would never know that with a small TV. If you had a large TV you could simulate this in your living rooml.

You are right about the steering, but so far it only seems to be a problem with the F2007. The F2007 in GT5P has more problems then just terrible wheel lock, though.

Oh, and I disagree that these are the two most important features. Removeable HUD is more important then removeable hands in my opinion.

Last edited:
The driving view seems dead on to me. In fact, I took a picture from inside a car from my eye level and compared it to the cockpit view of GT5P and it lined up to probably 95% accuracy which was stunning. The A-Pillar and rear view mirrors block you view in real life as well in the game. The game's A pillar and rear view mirror location matched my real picture perfectly.

May I suggest moving your wheel closer to the screen if possible? I think the A-pillar etc distracts people more in the game because they sit so far back from the screen and they notice everything else more. (they may be restricted to some sort of cockpit) My setup is where I have the wheel clamped 1 foot (30 cms) from the TV. That way your vision is narrowed and you are looking out the window more like you would in real life and any false 'back seat' feelings that are derived from racing the car from the back seat, or several feet away, are done away with.

If that doesn't work then you need a bigger TV. At least 32". I say that because in real life what size TV would it take to fill up your windshield? How can you expect a realistic cockpit view with a small 20" TV? When you say you only see outside your windshield and just a bit of your dash that's because your windshield is so huge and it takes up alot of your vision, but the A pillar, rear view mirror, dash etc are still there, but make up a small percentage of your vision. In the game the a pillar, dash and rear view mirror take up a small portion (maybe just 30%) of your visibility but you would never know that with a small TV. If you had a large TV you could simulate this in your living rooml.

You are right about the steering, but so far it only seems to be a problem with the F2007. The F2007 in GT5P has more problems then just terrible wheel lock, though.

Oh, and I disagree that these are the two most important features. Removeable HUD is more important then removeable hands in my opinion.

It's not very sensible to put "buy a bigger tv" or "sit closer to the screen" up as viable solutions. A better solution would be if PD would let us adjust the cockpit camera, which shouldn't be too hard to implement. I don't mean complete freedom, but the ability to move it up-down and forwards-backwards a bit.

What the hell are you complaining about? Do you really think these are the two most important missing features? What about weather, tire marks, etc?

And with your suggested view, you wouldn't see anything even slightly to the left or right.

So basically what you're saying is: you'd go from this:
942026_20080306_790screen009.jpg

to this:
2ikp92w.jpg

A better solution would be if PD would let us adjust the cockpit camera, which shouldn't be too hard to implement. I don't mean complete freedom, but the ability to move it up-down and forwards-backwards a bit.
I fully agree. There are so many people complaining about these little issues, if PD gave us more freedom it could all be solved.

I would like to see the option to:
  • move your seat up/down
  • move your seat to the front/rear
  • adjust the amount of head movement (say from 1-10)
  • turn hud on/off (as suggested above)
  • turn suggested gear / brake indicator (flashing red gear) on/off (you could do this in GT4!)
  • look to apex: on/off
  • steering wheel on/off
  • driver (hands): on/off

Although those last two aren't necessary for me.

I pretty much agree. All games should have pretty much the options you have in GTR Evolution (and I think pretty much every simbin racing game). The ability to change your seat position and field of view. Also the ability to modify what appears on your HUD.

I find having both the option to change seat position AND field of view to be useful, because depending on your screen size and how far you sit away from it, you can usually find a good compromise. Field of view keeps your head in the same spot, but expands the viewing angle (you see more of the track and by nature more of the car interior) and seat position changes where the camera sits in the car.

I don´t think that we get options like this for an public market game... GTR2 was for sim fans but GT will satisfy everbody...

Can you not switch your DFGT from 900 to 200 degree mode with pushing the Select Button + the R3 Button + the Right Shift Paddle at the same time like the DFP??

What the hell are you complaining about? Do you really think these are the two most important missing features? What about weather, tire marks, etc?

And with your suggested view, you wouldn't see anything even slightly to the left or right.

So basically what you're saying is: you'd go from this:
942026_20080306_790screen009.jpg

to this:
2ikp92w.jpg

Tire marks are important? I would have thought the actual driving of the car would have been the most important thing. The first view you show is good..... if you have a large TV. On a big TV you don't notice the steering wheel etc because the track takes up some much actual space. On a small TV it's still the same ratio of track/interior of car, but because of the lack of actual space, I can't really see. Like one of the previous posters said, why not allow us to adjust the view? Then every circumstance will be catered for.

I don´t think that we get options like this for an public market game... GTR2 was for sim fans but GT will satisfy everbody...

I can't see any good reason why any game can't just have a nice default position for people to just sit down and play like GT5P, but still allow you to move the camera and change FOV for those who want to do so.

As we near closer to the release of GT5, I'm concerned that certain aspects that are rather important may not be implemented.

Until the game hits the shelves, no-one has any idea what aspects, important or otherwise, are included.

We have a wishlist thread for "Things that aren't cars" already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back