The (un)pleasantly surprised purchase thread

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jujubean
  • 29 comments
  • 2,869 views
Messages
498
Messages
Jujubean14
Whether or not you were pleasantly surprised with purchasing the game, I want to know what cars you have bought that surprised you one way or the other.

I just bought a Countach to compete in the Supercar Nostalgia Cup, and I was blown away by the car. So much easier to drive than the Esprit I just got as my Bday gift from GT. I would have thought that a big flashy mid engined monster such as the Countach would be more of a Bull (get it?) to drive, but it was really well planted and nimble.

[Edit: and thats with aids all OFF except ABS on 1]

I will post up some pics in a bit. So again, post what cars surprised you (goof or bad) with pics if you want.
 
I got the Premium Corvette Stingray and damn that thing handles well, it feels as if it over steers but while it does you're in complete control. its great braking late and sliding the last little bit of turn just for the fun of it. Shame it wont go 600hp+
 
Early in the game I got the Mugen Motul Civic Si Race '87 , and looked at it, thought to myself; what a piece of ****.

Then I tested it, as it was the only car i could use for some race, and fell in love. It is a great car, and a nice backup if my RX7 smokes them too easy.
 
Pleasantly surprised with the Ferrari Italia, it was between this or the Scuderia, glad I went with Italia.

Not so happy with the '92 Ferrari F40, the dealership said it was 1100kg. The arcade says it's 1100kg. It's 1100kg in real life. But for some reason when I bought it it became 1322kg which changes everything :grumpy:
 
Early in the game I got the Mugen Motul Civic Si Race '87 , and looked at it, thought to myself; what a piece of ****.

Then I tested it, as it was the only car i could use for some race, and fell in love. It is a great car, and a nice backup if my RX7 smokes them too easy.

I had the same perception about the Civic when I first got it , that thing tears up in the Japanese classic race for me :D
 
Early in the game I got the Mugen Motul Civic Si Race '87 , and looked at it, thought to myself; what a piece of ****.

Then I tested it, as it was the only car i could use for some race, and fell in love. It is a great car, and a nice backup if my RX7 smokes them too easy.

+1

Who knew FWD could be so much fun? 👍
 
Another vote for the Civic Race Car. Infinite grip machine :lol: I can't imagine what a beast it must be fully tuned.
 
Toyota FT-86. Very balanced but not boring. 👍
 
The Lupo GTI Cup Car. Used that the other day in the lupo only event around the ring - expecting it to be awful. To my surprise, found it to be more fun than the 300 SL in the AMG specials.
 
The Hommell Berlinette. Saw it in the used car lots, didn't know what it was. Actually pretty fun to drive :)
 
I was unpleasantly surprised when i tuned a mclaren mp4 12c to the max it was awful. I then got a 458 italia and tuned it to the max and its brilliant, shame you cant give it a turbo though.
 
I also really like the Toyota FT-86. Yesterday I did the Ring event with the Lupo GTI Cup Car, but it had so much grip it almost felt arcady. None the less it was great to drive.
 
blue_thunder is right, that Lupo was a blast to drive!

Apart from that, the Buick Special '62 is brilliant in my eyes.
And the Madza 6 Touring Car from GT4 (The money laundring one) is a fantastic piece of kit.
 
The Lupo GTI Cup Car. Used that the other day in the lupo only event around the ring - expecting it to be awful. To my surprise, found it to be more fun than the 300 SL in the AMG specials.

Same thing happened to me. I had a blast in that race.
 
blue_thunder is right, that Lupo was a blast to drive!

Apart from that, the Buick Special '62 is brilliant in my eyes.
And the Madza 6 Touring Car from GT4 (The money laundring one) is a fantastic piece of kit.

I loved the Lupo too, a brilliant drive on the ring.

Same with the Buick, might not be so great around corners but goes like buggery in a straight line. Lays big black elevens as wide as fiat 500's behind you from standing too! :D


I was a little disappointed with my 'cuda to start with, had nothing compared to all the other muscle cars. Bit of tuning and now I love it too :D
 
BMW Z4 (new one) awesome car

Gallardo as well

Physics in this game are amazing and these cars just make me smile :)
 
Nissan Micra mm-R Cup Car. That ugly froggy little crap box won so many races for me before I finally decided to buy my first 'real' car after the kart. I might just keep it.
 
Acura DN-X [Honda Dualnote] - one of the most suprising cars for me, and not just because it is a hybrid, it feels excellent to drive once fully tuned and can easily take on a few supercars [not as high up as zondas or bugattis, but around the mid ferrari-lambo range] :D
 
Same thing happened to me. I had a blast in that race.
Add me to that list! That was an awesome event, just too bad it was only one race.
 
ooops, wrong thread.....
 
I just modified a Dodge Charger R/T to race and it's a monster, love it very much lol, like how you can feel the car is pushing from the back allll the time, also the noise, omg the noise is so good :D
 
I purchased the 512BB Ferrari (just because A, i wanted a ferrari, B, its one of my favorite Ferraris) and i was very surprised how well it handled then when i fully upgraded it the handling took a turn for the major worse, however after driving it for a while i have it under control now and its actually not half bad, i still love it to death and want to own a real one. Thanks GT5!

Then we have the Klubwagen.... 0-50 in 45 seconds!!! need i say any more?
 
Sound. After GT4 and GT5Prologue I thought it will be same again.

My gallardo sound great (not like placeholder from GT5 Demos)
 
Driving a Mitsubishi Evo X on the High Speed Ring for one of the license tests... I was very impressed with what happened when I hit the gas while cornering at high speed. Very, very impressed. Try the evo X on high speed ring, and you'll see.:)
 
I got the Premium Corvette Stingray and damn that thing handles well, it feels as if it over steers but while it does you're in complete control. its great braking late and sliding the last little bit of turn just for the fun of it. Shame it wont go 600hp+

Agreed. That thing is stunning for how old it is, but for some reason my B-spec drivers choke on it. They can't control oversteer for crap! I had to upgrade just about every piece on it to get my drivers to do what I could do with it stock. Sad.
 
I am loving my Chrysler 300c. It can actually turn better than i thought, lol. I got rid of as much wieght as i could and now it handles great. I have HP maxed, though i had to un-install the supercharger (destroyed the cars handling).
 
I was surprised at how rough the AI could be. I was racing at Madrid braking into the last turn where theres a turn-off into the pit lane, Well I was braking hard and all of a sudden Boom a car behind me shoves me into the pit lane.
I never got this mad at a race in Gran Turismo, ever.
 
I was disappointed with the 458 Italia. It's jerky and snappy.

RUF Yellowbird is the single worst car in the game yet. Might be fixable with tuning, but why even try when there are so many cars in the game that handle great to begin with?

I was also a bit disappointed with a used standard NSX I got. They used to be like solid rocks in earlier games, a bit like the 458 is now. But the one I tested in GT5 had mad oversteer when going on the gas exiting corners.

The '74 Lambo was a positive surprise. Great cars from earlier games, that are still great, include the standard model Viper GTS, pretty much anything from the sixties, and the GT-R. The Viper has a perfect amount of oversteer on the throttle.

They probably have to make the GT-R great, though, because it's japanese. I raced the GT-R pretty soon after the 458 Italia, and the GT-R is like candy, the Ferrari more like a hammer. The Ferrari is probably really fast. It's the feel, though, that makes a car fun, and having fun is the whole point of playing the game.

I always turn all the assists off, except for the ABS. Sometimes one level of TCS can help you off the line. But whatever you do, turn the ASM off! It ruins the game. Any car is horrible to drive, and really slow, if you use the ASM.
 
Back