The unwritten word on sponsor decals.

England
St helens, merseyside, England.
crazybuttocks198
Crazybuttocks19
Just want to get some thoughts on how people set out decal sponsors on liveries.

I know personally I don't like to use 2 different company rivals on the same car (like tyres Toyo and Michelin etc).

What different sponsor sections do you like using like using (like brakes, tyres, alcohol, computing etc).

Some racing series require cars to use two different Tyre sponsors such as the VLN, where Falken is a major sponsor but cars can run Michelin rubber instead.

Personally, the decals I hate the most are people using lubricant sponsors that are owned by a different rival oil company than the one that’s on the car.

Others include competing horology or tech sponsors like Microsoft and Apple.

Basically just make sure you google everything and check parent companies before posting your livery.

I avoid everyt brand mostly related to „optical car tuning“ (Mickey Thompson wheels for example) and also the austrian lemonade mixer. IT-companies also won‘t be on any of my cars.

I like to have „good ol‘ german“ stuff on my cars. Anything that could be seen in reality but probably is no global enterprise. (Premio, Vergölst, Mampe, Nigrin etc.)

That's the thread I have been searching for a long time !

On a personal note, even though I do share your opinions about not making obvious mistakes, I think it is always cool to see some novelties and/or unexpected sponsors on a car (within reason of course).

When I try to create a fully original livery, I try to get a major sponsor that could be any brand - really - (it's the fun part because you have to make up a full livery according to the company's colors / logos ...) and then work my way out from here. I also like to add a few odd ones here and there. For instance, my R33 I set as my profile pic has a "Netflix" sticker on the rear bumper. And it looks great.

Il would love to make a Visa RSR for instance.

*ahem*
  • Wrap first, indicators (extinguisher, towing eye, etc.) second, decals third.
  • At least one decal has to vertically align with another on the sides, e.g. If component brands are being laid out vertically near the front wheels, make sure that the main sponsor lines up with at least one of them. Decals on the bumpers have no excuses to not be aligned.
  • Side mirrors are almost always the secondary colour of the scheme.
  • The 'Other' parts - as outlined by the Livery Editor, are almost always the tertiary colour of the scheme. If there is no tertiary colour, then they are matte black.
  • Small sponsor decals are always laid first, starting with the tire brands.
  • Every sponsor has to appear on the car at least twice .
  • If it is not an 'art' car, then at the very least, place indicators and tire brand decals on the car.
  • I'm, oddly enough, normally relaxed about where component manufacturer decals are placed on the car. My only golden rule is that, unless it is the main sponsor, tire brands are NOT to go anywhere except on the front and rear bumpers, or near the wheelarches.
Some racing series require cars to use two different Tyre sponsors such as the VLN, where Falken is a major sponsor but cars can run Michelin rubber instead.

Personally, the decals I hate the most are people using lubricant sponsors that are owned by a different rival oil company than the one that’s on the car.

Others include competing horology or tech sponsors like Microsoft and Apple.

Ugh, those liveries with Monster and Red Bull - on the same car - make me want to grab some bleach and pour it in my eyes.

Last edited:
The guidelines by @2clicks above and series rules [like Blanckpain or IMSA] or specific partners of race teams are mostly my terms of reference. If Gazoo Racing for example has Bridgestone as a race partner, I will only use Bridgestone decals and same for Michelin or Pirelli for Rinaldi Racing. Same applies for the location of the decals.

Not unwritten rules as such - but as I'm not so young, some things seem wrong, odd or out of place in a game that is for the very young to the very old:
  • I almost never use any of the standard yellow colours, and if I do use my own mix, will either match to a decal, or will use a round number. So i often use 14/100/100.
  • I prefer to change the colour of minor sponsors to match the main colour theme of the livery - or have them all white or black. they are often along a straight line that matches the prominent line of the car
  • I rarely change the wheels, and prefer to paint them silver, grey or gold. Rarely white or black. I hardly ever use other colours now
  • I dislike using numbers 69 or 666 (Having grown up in Europe, and now living in Asia I also don't tend to use 4 or 13 very much - not that I am remotely superstitious)
  • Not a fan of pro drug messages (but then I am out of touch)
  • I try to avoid using more than one oil or tyre brand, or any other competing brands for that matter (I probably made mistakes here though)
  • I never use overly sexualized images
But then, I admit to being a bit of a hypocrite - as my gallery is full of cigarettes and alcohol sponsored liveries (I don't smoke, and I hardly drink!)

I would like to learn how to create modern looking liveries, but whilst I'm blown away by the really good one's that can be created - my attempts are terrible. So I stick to what I know how to create!

I don't have many of my liveries showing in my Gallery but when I do make Liveries I usually have 3 type of scenarios I stick to:
1- The decals are exactly the same as the version you would buy in brand central, but the paint and design are my own
2- The Decals are the exact same as the version in Real life, number backing plate will be the same but minus the car's racing number, car paint and design same as real life car
3- In the case the car has little to no branding such as Nclass vehicles, I only use 1 decal for oil, tyres etc. but I am only using brands that are A) physically shown on/in the car(eg. seatbeltmanufacture) B)used by the Manufacture in real life, but the paint and design are my own

*ahem*
  • Wrap first, indicators (extinguisher, towing eye, etc.) second, decals third.
  • At least one decal has to vertically align with another on the sides, e.g. If component brands are being laid out vertically near the front wheels, make sure that the main sponsor lines up with at least one of them. Decals on the bumpers have no excuses to not be aligned.
  • Side mirrors are almost always the secondary colour of the scheme.
  • The 'Other' parts - as outlined by the Livery Editor, are almost always the tertiary colour of the scheme. If there is no tertiary colour, then they are matte black.
  • Small sponsor decals are always laid first, starting with the tire brands.
  • Every sponsor has to appear on the car at least twice .
  • If it is not an 'art' car, then at the very least, place indicators and tire brand decals on the car.
  • I'm, oddly enough, normally relaxed about where component manufacturer decals are placed on the car. My only golden rule is that, unless it is the main sponsor, tire brands are NOT to go anywhere except on the front and rear bumpers, or near the wheelarches.

Ugh, those liveries with Monster and Red Bull - on the same car - make me want to grab some bleach and pour it in my eyes.
  • Oh no, I've broken some of the 'laws'. ;) :lol:
Some personal 'rules' I follow. Most of the time anyway as you may see. ;)

I don't think it is a good idea to have competing brands on a livery such as the Red Bull - Monster mentioned above, as eye catching as those logos are. There are some brands I favour because I either use their product, or more often, they have a strong and distinctive logo, but I don't also have their competition on the car. Although saying that, I did do a Coke/Pepsi half and half car, :lol: but that was a conscious thing with two totally different designs, rather than two rivals logos next to each other. Not saying it was good, but it was different. ;) :lol:

I stay away from tobacco brands because I have never smoked and I don't want to give those brands any 'advertising' even if it would probably only be as someone was scrolling through the newest liveries and mine was there. It's a shame that some of these companies have such distinctive logos, and have had some significant places in racing history. :rolleyes:

I stay away from alcohol brands because I don't think cars/sport and alcohol should go together in any way. Which is again a shame as there are some good logos. Although saying that, again I have used one on a livery representing the significant sponsors of Liverpool FC over the years, and one alcohol company's logo was on the front of the team shirts for many years.

I won't use betting companies too.

Alcohol, tobacco and betting companies have, and continue to have, a huge place in racing/sporting history/finances, and will automatically get some subconscious 'affection' because of the success some cars/teams have have had over the years in certain liveries/designs. So for me, that is a lot of brands not usable. For most it will not be a problem.

I don't put competing tyre brands on. There may be some real life competitions where that could happen as mentioned above, but unless I were trying to replicate a car in one of those competitions, I go with whatever is on the wheels of the car, if that is an option for that category of car. Sometimes I choose a tyre brand for the wheels for how the colour sits in with the colours of the car.

I find a GT Sport livery may not be able to be as subtle as real life liveries as they will not be seen close up as real life apart from at the start of some races. Some colours, and colour contrasts don't show up as clearly in the game as they would in real life imho, so some options don't work so well. You will only get that from experience of what works for you.

Because of the above I find that some some real life livery's are able to put more logo's on and keep the separation to keep them clear and defined. A lot of decals are too blurry small and close up in GT Sport.

A livery has to work on both sides of the car imho. A lot of logos are designed to be seen best in one way, normally on the left side, some can be flipped, the Red Bull is good for that, but some can't like the 7up logo for example, because the '7' looks wrong in reverse. There have been some great designs I have seen online, but when you look at the whole design as the car rotates it falls down on the reverse, and some just flip the logo, which sometimes works, but doesn't for something like the 7up logo. When I do a Coca Cola design, if I use the 'white wave' separate from the 'Coca Cola' part as a design element, I will flip it to be symmetrical to the other side. I'm not sure most people would notice.

It is difficult without some knowledge to be aware of which fuel/oil/lubricant brands are in conflict imho, and I for one may make that mistake, or not pick up on someone who did that, but others may think 'wtf!'.

Because of the size limitations of the decals it is difficult get a good 'photo' of something/someone, so for me are best avoided.

Back