The Village

  • Thread starter Thread starter CAMAROBOY69
  • 11 comments
  • 569 views

CAMAROBOY69

Premium
Messages
18,565
United States
Michigan
Messages
CAMAROBOY69
PLEASE NO SPOILERS!!!

I also saw this last night and it is a movie you will either like or hate. I was tossed around throughout the entire movie trying to decide if I liked it or not. But as it approaches the ending I realized it is quite a clever plot and I ended up liking it. Without posting any spoilers what did you think of the movie?
M. Night Shyamalan's "The Village"
 
Horrible. In fact, it's spawned a new euphamism, known as "Shyamalan Syndrome," wherein a one-trick-magician director wears out his only gimmick and is consequently left to make increasingly bad movies until he falls out of the collective Hollywood conscious. The public will only accept so many "trick endings," especially from the same director.

The Sixth Sense was excellent, Unbreakable was even better, IMO, but things started to slip a little with Signs. Even that wasn't an altogether horrible movie, but The Village has convinced me that Shyamalan sucks. Plus, at every opportunity, he comes across as incredibly pompous, egotistical and arrogant.

And I'm tired of the "No Spoilers" warning. It creates even more hype for movies with trick endings. Thus I am opening my own The Village Sucks thread to give away the end so people won't have to waste money to see it. Ha.
 
Apparantly the below post contains spoilers. Don't look if you don't want to see.

A terrible movie. Badly structured. Christ, I don't think anyone realised that girl was blind until a fair way through the movie, and it was apparant that you were meant to know before-hand. The "twist" was just plain bad. Scare-factor: Zero. The whole monster storyline was pathetic. It was even worse when she went into the "modern world". Just plain corny.

Avoid this movie.
 
Anderton Prime
Plus, at every opportunity, he comes across as incredibly pompous, egotistical and arrogant.

I've also noticed this, I can't stand this guy. Every interview I've seen of him makes me want to punch him in the face.

Oh, and avoid this movie like the plague.
 
Anderton Prime
The Sixth Sense was excellent, Unbreakable was even better, IMO, but things started to slip a little with Signs. Even that wasn't an altogether horrible movie, but The Village has convinced me that Shyamalan sucks. Plus, at every opportunity, he comes across as incredibly pompous, egotistical and arrogant.

I also agree about the director,and everything in Anderton said, except I didn't like Unbreakable as much.

Bunch of us went to this movie together, paying full price because of my recommendation. Let me just say, it was very awkward and uncomfortable situation for me after the movie that night.
 
I thought the whole comic book premise of Unbreakable was an excellent idea. The movie does move at a nearly unbearably slow pace, with many shots drawn out, but I think it adds to the overall point of the movie. It's the story of a "real" superhero. I love how the ending leaves it open for a sequel which will never be made. But you don't even need a sequel, you can just make up your own adventures. Plus I loved the music, and Samuel Jackson was spectacular as usual.
 
Jimmy Enslashay
A terrible movie. Badly structured. Christ, I don't think anyone realised that girl was blind until a fair way through the movie, and it was apparant that you were meant to know before-hand. The "twist" was just plain bad. Scare-factor: Zero. The whole monster storyline was pathetic. It was even worse when she went into the "modern world". Just plain corny.

Avoid this movie.

So much for the NO SPOILERS warning! :D You gave away 99% of the movie... if you did it on purpose, then good job, as people need to avoid this movie at all costs 👍 If you did it by mistake, then good job, as people need to avoid this movie at all costs 👍

I actually wasted $6.50 to go see it when it first came out in the theaters. :indiff: :yuck:
AVOID AVOID AVOID

The Wizard.
 
I liked it - go see it and decide for yourself.
 
Zrow
I liked it - go see it and decide for yourself.

That would be sound advice if it were free to view the movie, but it's not (unless you're downloading, to which I say STOP). But because people have already shelled out $8-10 in the theatres to see this movie, they're offering to help others not pay $5 to rent it at the video store. There are thousands of movies available to watch; people can't just watch them all and "decide for themselves" if they like them or not...they need this kind of advice.

And so, I reiterate my original opinion, namely that The Village sucks.

Rent Collateral or Man On Fire instead. OR check out Unbreakable if you haven't already seen it.
 
The whole film bored the hell out of me until the ending. Even then...it was a big let down. He could have done a whole lot more with the twist. M. Night's best film thats for sure. I liked Signs because Aliens freak me out. I seriously think they exist and seeing that scene where the Alien walked past the camera sent a chill down my spine.
 
that is the worst movie, about 30mins into the movie I found out what the plot was and when the blind girl fell into the hole that was pure bul****e i mean if you were a blind boy/girl and you fell into a hole would you be able to get back out and when she was brought to the killer or the crazy guy (not sure which one coz it was hard to understand) how did she lant those punches so cleanly coz if I was blind i would land it badly or miss. and what the hell did they make a wildlife reserve only for humans?
 
- No spoilers here, so read on -

The movie had a terrible and inconsistent message. The decisions that the characters make in the end go against their experiences, so the message makes little sense (and it definitely does have a message).

The acting is fantastic, as is much of the dialogue.

However, (and I feel anyone should know this before deciding whether or not to watch this movie) it was mis-marketed. I'll let you draw your own conclusions from that, just make sure you don't make any major assumptions about what this movie will be like.
 
Back