The Vulcan Livery Gallery (Vulcan Racing Squadron + Vitessa I '67)

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
VulcanSpirit
Subaru FIA Manufacturers 2021

A closer look at both of my 'works' liveries for the 2021 FIA Manufacturer Series.

WRX Gr.3 2021 Concept

Loosely inspired by R&D Sport's 2021 GT300 scheme along with my earlier 'GT300 2019 Concept' livery for this very car. As a change from the traditional WR Blue Pearl finish, I went with a more vibrant pearlescent blue base to bring up the pink and white stripes more. My original intention for the sides was to make them similar to the BRZ, but when I couldn't make the patterns look convincing enough I settled upon solid black blocks lining up with and concealing the rear brake ducts. These also had the effect of lining up with the rear bumper/bootlid treatment influenced by the BRZ scheme. Pink wheels were added because... why not?

The only major issue I am aware of with this livery is that in GT Sport, the bonnet stripes tend to go all fuzzy and distorted over the centre intakes. However, I am certain that this anomaly wouldn't happen if this was applied to the BRZ GT300 in real life.

WRX Gr.4 STI Pink Concept

This is an updated version of a 'hot pink' livery I made for the Gr.4 WRX based on the classic WRC style. Originally I had intended to create a separate design with side stripes and a black and white front bumper treatment, but wasn't happy with how my ideas for those looked in the livery editor. So, the 'hot pink' design was revisited to take cues from the R&D Sport GT300 cars as well as the #59 TOWAINTEC Racing WRX from the 2018 Super Taikyu Series.

The design is entirely Sport Mode-compatible. To fill in the spaces left behind by the number placement, a list of primary and secondary sponsors were added to the front doors in true JDM-style fashion.

And to finish this post off, here's a bonus Scape of the Gr.3 design which I felt was too good not to share here:

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
VulcanSpirit
Spirited Away GR Supra GT300

Before settling with the Gr.2-based "Gran Turismo NSX", my original idea for LEC #61 (Samurai) was for a Gr.3 livery based around Hayao Miyazaki's highest-grossing and arguably best-known animated feature. The base, incidentally, was initially meant to be an FT-1 or a Supra to compliment the other Toyota/Ghibli liveries I had done up to that point, but I decided to use a Lexus RC F GT3 as it would potentially allow more room for character and sponsorship decals.

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20200828205825.png

The RC F began taking shape as a multicolour scheme featuring asymmetrically-coloured patterns, gradient effects and various characters from the film including Chihiro, Haku, No-Face, the 'susiwatari' and the Radish Spirit. Secondary and tertiary sponsors were influenced by the Petronas SYNTIUM-backed liveries of LM Corsa, who at the time of the LEC were running a customer RC F in GT300. It was with this in mind that I imagined this as a fictional sponsorship livery for the established Super GT runners. A number of additional Easter eggs related to the film would also be featured, including a racing number referencing its original Japanese release date ('20-7-2001') along with mentions of Miyazaki and producer Toshio Suzuki alongside the names of LM Corsa regular drivers Hiroki Yoshimoto and Shunsuke Kohno.

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20200828205907.png

Working on the original Lexus idea marked the first time I used SVGOMG to optimise an existing SVG for use in the Livery Editor (the English Spirited Away logo). @Cytoria also leant a hand in making an SVG of the Japanese logo, and @Sven Jurgens kindly gave me permission to use his Spirited Away decals (particularly those of Chihiro and Haku) as placeholders while I waited for a response to my character decal requests in the SVG thread.

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20210503194739.png

When it became clear that I would not be able to have that request completed in time, I decided to put the Lexus on the backburner and submit an updated version of the NSX into LEC #61. Over time, I made further tweaks to the overall design, including the switch from a dark metallic blue base to a lighter, glossier shade, with the view of marking the 20th anniversary of Spirited Away's original theatrical release in Japan. At one point, I began work on a second version with additional decals of No-Face for possible use in this year's Manufacturer Series. Ultimately, I went with Subaru instead, and it was around the same time that I learnt that LM Corsa had switched to the GT300 Supra for the 2021 season after a difficult year in the RC F.

It was with LM Corsa's development in mind that I found the spark to start a fresh design for the GR Supra Racing Concept with No-Face as the central focus. A few other ideas would be carried over from the RC F (the 'susiwatari' roof, 'wavy' stripes representing Haku's dragon form), but after a bit of experimenting I ditched the gradient idea and settled on making the entire base black. Chihiro and Haku are still represented in an abstract form through alternating pink and green flashes.

As was the case with the RC F, LM Corsa's 2021 livery provided references for secondary and tertiary sponsor placements, though while Dunlop tyres were used Michelins have been kept to avoid clashes while being used in Sport Mode. Lastly, the digits for the racing number were swapped around for added differentiation and to better reflect the date format used in Japan (2001-7-20).

The 'susiwatari' actually consist of 11 separate decals sourced from Discover, plus added circle shapes colour coded with the roof to hide any potential overlaps.

The No-Face bonnet decal has a number of additional shapes to conceal his 'body', making his 'mask' the most prominent feature at the front end. I did consider doing the same around the sides, but felt that it would detract from him having a material presence on the livery itself.

I still intend to complete the RC F at some point, but for now I’m rather happy with how striking and sinister this Supra looks. I've also been making some tweaks to the Nausicaä TS050 which were trialled in my FIA Nations entries last Saturday, so expect an updated version of that to land fairly soon.

Link.

Last edited:
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
VulcanSpirit
Nausicaä Team Toyota GR 1.5

As teased in my previous post, this is an update to the Nausicaä TS050 livery with a number of changes over the previous version (1.2). The most noticeable of these include the use of a darker blue base colour, reworked gradient effects, a white roof and the addition of English film logos. The previously plain blue turning vanes also have decals added to closely match those of the main bodywork.

One of the first major things to be reworked was the front end, which now has extra decals, smoother-looking 'handrail' patterns and a reshaped 'intake' intended to better resemble that of Möwe/Mehve when observed from a top-down view. The OpenSky M-02J, an airworthy jet-powered glider inspired by the fictional craft, also provided further visual references for this detail. Meanwhile, Teto has a slightly more prominent presence than before.

An issue with placing decals over the TS050's roof is that the edges will always come out jagged, even if these do not show up with the base chromium finish. To get around this, I placed extra default shapes surrounding the roof and beneath the airbox to conceal the edges and make the effect look more presentable in Scapes.

More decal changes on the rear wing and sides; I was initially unsure about which logo I should use to replace the Gran Turismo one on the driver's side door, but eventually found an Aisin AW decal which happened to be a perfect fit for the main colour scheme.

You may notice that this batch of images does not show driver names on the shark fin, but as with previous versions I have set them to appear in the actual upload shared in the link below. And with that, my main trifecta of Toyota/Ghibli liveries is now complete:

Link.

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
VulcanSpirit
Vulcan Vitessa I '67

Engineered as a direct competitor to the Ford GT40, the Vulcan Vitessa I debuted in 1967 as one of two endurance racers developed for the World Sportscar Championship and 24 Hours of Le Mans. Several factory and customer-run cars were built to the Group 4 regulations (or the over-2,000cc category in the International Championship for Sports Cars), along with a number of road versions including the luxury-oriented 'GS 5000'. A Group 6 derivative, the Vitessa V.7000, also competed exclusively at the 1967 Le Mans race, but was retired following the introduction of the 3.0l capacity limit for the 1968 season.

The name 'Vitessa' is derived from 'vitesse', the French word for 'speed', reflecting the car's high performance and primary aim to compete at Le Mans.

The earlier Vitessa Is combined a reinforced steel monocoque chassis and aluminium coupe body with a 5.0l V8 engine derived from the Vitessa V.5000. Initially, the engine featured quad 2-barrel carburettors and was rated at just over 400bhp in racing trim. A fuel injection system was introduced from 1968 onwards to improve performance and fuel economy, followed in 1969 by the 'Vitessa Ib' spec with an aluminium chassis and 450bhp engine. The aluminium chassis was developed out of the Vitessa V.7000 project, which utilised an enlarged 7.0l V8 also found in the Venator V.7000 road car.

For the 1969 and 1970 seasons, factory-supported Group 4 team Gooch Engineering developed their own lightweight version with a fibreglass body, dubbed the 'Vitessa G8', with exemplary results.

The car pictured represents one of the 'Vulcan Cincinnati Dealer Team' Vitessa Is which competed in the 1967 season. These factory-run cars could be distinguished by their striking white and two-tone green livery, representing the collaboration between Vulcan's North American division (who supplied the V8 engines from their Lancaster, Ohio factory) and the UK-based Vulcan Racing Squadron in developing the original Vitessa project. Given its proximity to the Lancaster plant, Vulcan Cincinnati was the dealership chosen to sponsor the works North American entry.

Throughout its original career, the Vitessa I and its derivatives proved highly competitive in the over-2,000cc/large capacity division of Group 4. Among the most significant achievements included class victory at the 1967 Le Mans with the retirements of all three Mk1 GT40s, outright wins at the 1968 24 Hours of Daytona and 12 Hours of Sebring, and a pair of overall runner-up finishes at Le Mans in 1968 and 1969 following heated battles with Ford, Ferrari and Porsche machinery. For the 1970 season, Vulcan Racing Squadron developed the Vitessa II to Group 6 regulations in closed-cockpit 'longtail' and open-cockpit 'speedster' configurations, though privateer Vitessa Ibs and G8s would continue to achieve strong finishes at Le Mans and in the International Championship for Makes until their retirement.

Livery Links:
Vulcan Vitessa I '67
Vulcan Vitessa I '67 (Sport Mode compatible)

Last edited: