The War on Terror, Drugs and the welfare state....

• Thread starter A2K78
  • 7 comments
United States
orlando,FL,USA
What do all 3 of these have in common? They produce human tragedies like what we see at America's southern border and that of Mediterranean. The sad thing about this is that proponents of all three will continue to fail to see this.

What do all 3 of these have in common? They produce human tragedies like what we see at America's southern border and that of Mediterranean. The sad thing about this is that proponents of all three will continue to fail to see this.
And your evidence? Particularly for the claim about the welfare state that I am interested in.

Last edited:

Source?

EDIT: Didn't see @haitch40's post, source required nonetheless :D

"I heard this man over here from the Cato Institute say, well, it was because of demand. ... They didn't want fentanyl. They thought they were getting Percocets!"

The war on drugs makes it difficult to get Percocet and other opioids. Because of that difficulty, people turn to the black market and disreputable dealers that are frequently peddling fentanyl purported to be something else. The war on drugs also drives the demand for opioids (with other substances prohibited) to significant degree.

"And they say oh let's just give them the strips."

The war on drugs also means "drug paraphernalia" is frequently prohibited. Fentanyl testing strips are an inexpensive and effective means of checking for the presence of fentanyl in contraband, but heroes of the war on drugs justify outlawing them because they "promote consumption of illicit drugs." Testing can be the difference between an addict's fix and a fentanyl overdose. Fentanyl testing strips are prohibited in 42 states and Washington DC.

This is sheer lunacy. The war on drugs doesn't solve the problem of drug use. The war on drugs claims lives.

Last edited:

Setting aside Rapey McForehead's ignorance, Singer is so good here. He mentions the "iron law of prohibition." As enforcement of prohibitions ramps up without any reduction in demand, the potency of contraband increases so that those trafficking it can carry less to avoid detection or brave carrying greater quantities for potential greater profits.

The war on drugs doesn't work. The war on drugs doesn't address demand, so it doesn't address trafficking to satisfy that demand. All the war on drugs does is imperil individuals by exposing them to increasingly harmful substances that they acquire for personal, recreational use.

Just found this in my downloads folder from I guess a week ago and realize I never actually remarked on it.

polimath.jpg

I think it's kind of funny--perversely, anyway--that Shapiro here appears to reject the notion that it's Republican politics that is causing life expectancy to decrease and then refers to something which is caused to significant degree by...yep, Republican politics. Prohibition of illicit substances (this is redundant because, by definition, it's prohibition that makes them illicit) isn't uniquely a Republican aim, but it's certainly not among Republicans that there's traction to lift prohibition or to decriminalize.

Prohibition kills. It certainly doesn't stop individuals consuming, but it does make consumption--including that which is recreational rather than habitual--increasingly lethal because of the nature of the product available on the black market where users are driven.

Let. Adults. Assert. Dominion. Over. Their. Own. Bodies.

Back