the worst gt ever

  • Thread starter Thread starter thegt4masta
  • 22 comments
  • 1,706 views
Messages
63
what do you guys think the worst gt is?? i like gt4 but i read most of these complaints and things and i think gt4 is probly the worst gt ever made. i hope gt5 will be better. for example the AI is the stupidest in all the gran turismo series! and the backtracking cars that the game puts in... like the ford gt or camaro LM race car.
 
I think you dislike the PS2's limitations on GT4 than GT4 itself.
 
Not the most invigorating thread, but I think that GT4 exhausted what was left of the ps2. It might not look like it, but just how much can you draw from a six-year-old console? There are certainly limitations.

FormulaGT
 
Especially when your console is five years old and It.......loads...............like.............this. The worst GT in my opinion is GT concept.
 
...stupidest...
:lol: Thanks for that little bit of irony.


BTW: If you don't like a back-marker, like the GT40 or Camaro, simply reset the field of AI cars. The game doesn't force you to race against the first randomly selected field.

I like races with lots of close competition, so I make it a point to keep resetting the AI field until it has at least three top AI cars that perform at similar levels.

Personally, back-markers don’t really bother me, and they are a normal part of most races in real life…. Even in restrictor plate racing there are ALWAYS back-markers. In fact, back-markers are the norm for Le Mans style racing, like the example you gave.
 
I cannot believe this hasn't been brough up before, based on some searching I just did :eek:!

I'd have to say GT3. Sorry to anyone that loved it, but I just like theother 3 more. GT3 seems a little bit too...simple for my liking. I like the other ones more because to me they seem more elaborate for some reason.
 
I believe GT4 fully utilities the power of ps2 and we shouldn't ask for more, since ps3 is coming out soon.:)
 
what do you guys think the worst gt is?? i like gt4 but i read most of these complaints and things and i think gt4 is probly the worst gt ever made. i hope gt5 will be better. for example the AI is the stupidest in all the gran turismo series! and the backtracking cars that the game puts in... like the ford gt or camaro LM race car.

I think you're right about the stupid backmarkers (I started a thread on that topic and both of those cars are useless dung) and I don't feel it's due to limitations of the PS2 since the PS1 and GT2 provided excellent competition in certain races. The programmers make the decision of how tough the opposition should be.

But I'll tell ya, try doing some beginner races for 200 A-spec points and you will get some fairly tough racing throughout the whole field. Or try the Saleen S7 race for maximum A-spec points (it'll make you tear your hair out). It's just that you are forced to provide your own handicapping in order to make the game a challenge.

I say that in GT5 there should be some difficulty level setting that allows you to determine how strong the opposition will be. But for those that don't care then let there be a random setting also. For all I care PD can leave the graphics quality at the current level and give me more tracks.

In conclusion, I can't say that GT4 is the worst version, but I do think that GT2 was probably the best for close racing in my opinion. It seems that multiple AI cars used to battle for first place but I might be wrong.
 
what do you guys think the worst gt is?? i like gt4 but i read most of these complaints and things and i think gt4 is probly the worst gt ever made. i hope gt5 will be better. for example the AI is the stupidest in all the gran turismo series! and the backtracking cars that the game puts in... like the ford gt or camaro LM race car.


Err, no, firstly, Gran Turismo 4 is by far the best Gran Turismo game, the AI are not stupid, but they are slow, so use a slower car.

If by 'backtracking' you mean always drops behind the other AI, all the Gran Turismos have that, in Gran Turismo 2 arcade mode, there was the Renault Clio Sport V6 which looses to Lister Storms and Aston Martin Vantages, in Gran Turismo 2 GT mode, the Lister Storm Race Car looses to the Toyota GT1 and Ford GT40 Race Car by a long shot, becuase it's a stock Lister Storm with racing decals.

You say that the Camaro LM is a backtracker, go to the American GT Championship and see it come in the top 3, (unless against Panoz, Viper Oreca and 2J Race Car in the same line up), it looses in events such as the Gran Turismo All Stars becuase the other AI are much faster.
 
I think GT3 is worse because there is very little cars and it just seems a bit cartoony for my liking for some odd reason and not sure why. GT1-2 and 4 are the best ones yet, in my opinion
 
GT4 was limited by the PS2, yes, but that doesn't mean it's a good game. It means Polyphony Digital were foolish for not keeping the console's limitations in mind.

Instead of spending their time trying to make the graphics 2x better than GT3 (which is impossible to do on the PS2), adding pit crew animations, detailed drivers for the open-air cars, etc., they could have concentrated on more important things, like improving the driving physics (instead of making them worse than GT3), improving the engine sounds, putting more than 6 cars on the field at one time, finishing the promised online play, etc....
 
they could have concentrated on more important things, like improving the driving physics (instead of making them worse than GT3), improving the engine sounds, putting more than 6 cars on the field at one time, finishing the promised online play, etc....

The problem is that those things would also be limited by the PS2. The graphics card isn't the only thing limiting the game. I don't think the game could handle more than 6 cars on the field, and probably couldn't even handle 2 with advanced AI.

As for physics, the people at PD think it's better, so you're out of luck. =P
 
My response in another recent rant thread could just as well apply to this one as well:
Great comments Famine & FormulaGT.

Like other rant threads, I think many either forget, or don't realize this game is made by a Japanese company with their core fan base being predominantly in Japan and Asia with North America a close second.

I also think many of the harsh critics don't understand the difficulty and massive amount of resources (legal, financial, human, processing, testing, and time), required to make such a complex game and to include each new car and track into the game.

From some rants one might get the impression that the reason GT4 took so long to come out is that everyone at PD was too busy drinking sake and telling dirty bar jokes. :rolleyes:

Oh... and I also think some people really do forget this is a GAME... not a true simulator... and certainly not real life.

If anyone is really disappointed in the physics of GT4, the quality of the AI, and or the lack of their favorite cars, my suggestion is to sell your games, sell your consoles, sell your PC, and focus all your free time on becoming a race car driver, because short of that, I don't think you'll ever be fully satisfied with anything less.... and yet apparently that is what many feel PD should provide them.

It has been brought up before, and perhaps needs to be said again. This is a game that has a massively diverse audience at many different skill levels and with every version of GT, PD continually has succeeded to enhance and develop the series such that it appeals to a wide diverse audience, and its amazing sales figures are a testament to their success.

However, as the old saying goes… if you honestly think you could do better, then do it yourself. If you can, you stand to make hundreds of millions of dollars, and many will applaud your efforts. Of course, if you do… don’t be shocked if you receive similar rants from those who feel you could have and should have done a better job despite your success. :D
 
The problem is that those things would also be limited by the PS2. The graphics card isn't the only thing limiting the game. I don't think the game could handle more than 6 cars on the field, and probably couldn't even handle 2 with advanced AI.

As for physics, the people at PD think it's better, so you're out of luck. =P

TOCA Race Driver 3 has many more cars on the field at a time, and its graphics, physics, and AI didn't have to be compromised because of it. One could argue that this is because every car on the field is just one of two or three cars with a different paint job, but PD always gives us a maximum of six, even when every car on the field is identical.

It was once said that GT3 didn't even come close to utilizing the PS2's full potential. I'm just saying that if this was true, the rest of that potential probably could have been spent improving the things I mentioned. Neither of us will know for sure either way, because neither of us are PS2 programmers.

Oh... and I also think some people really do forget this is a GAME... not a true simulator... and certainly not real life.

Now, can you really blame anyone for reading the cover of the box the game came in? ;)

If anyone is really disappointed in the physics of GT4, the quality of the AI, and or the lack of their favorite cars, my suggestion is to sell your games, sell your consoles, sell your PC, and focus all your free time on becoming a race car driver, because short of that, I don't think you'll ever be fully satisfied with anything less.... and yet apparently that is what many feel PD should provide them.

I feel that PD should provide me with a game that is on par with or better than several racing games that I am satisfied with.
 
Now, can you really blame anyone for reading the cover of the box the game came in? ;)
Yes I can, especially if someone is thinking they are getting a true simulator from a $20-$50 game played on a $100-$300 console, instead of real simulators that use an actual car chassis with complex series of hydraulics and multiple HD monitors in place of each window in the vehicle. All controlled by multiple powerful purpose built PCs and proprietary software. ;)



I feel that PD should provide me with a game that is on par with or better than several racing games that I am satisfied with.
And yet by comparing sales, fan sites, forums, and internet traffic its pretty clear the majority feel it is on par if not better than any other console racing game. :)

However, this doesn't mean you are wrong as its a personal opinion. After all, even the very best cars, games, etc have their critics. (they just don't share the same opinions as the majority of owners). In the world of games, like so many other industries, the phrase "You can't please everyone" truly rings true.

I suspect if someone made a game that you considered "perfect" there would be many gamers who would disagree. :)
 
For me GT4 was a disapointment, but not as much as GT3 was to me. I think you can only fully rate a game in the grand scale of things when you've stopped enjoying playing that game. I've just about got to this stage with GT4, having completed less than 70% of the game i've just got no interest in finishing the rest. Although i probably put more hours to GT3, there were fewer games around at the time that interested me. The PS2 has reached its pinicle games wise, the games that have come out in the past year are arguably the best on the platform. GT4 has much more competition than GT3 ever had for racing/driving sims, some of which are superior in certain aspects. It still holds the title of best all round driving game in my opinion, whilst GT3 had little opposition in its day.
 
I suspect if someone made a game that you considered "perfect" there would be many gamers who would disagree. :)

Too true. Many people hate Enthusia and Live for Speed because they think "it feels like driving on ice." My favorite quote is from Gamespot's review of Enthusia -- "if real-life RWD cars handled like they do in Enthusia, no one would ever buy them." :lol: This, coming from the same gaming website where you can click on the gameplay videos of any driving game and watch them plow into every wall in sight like a retarded monkey. :rolleyes: At least the remainder of the review was more fair than IGN's.

Oh, and just to clarify, I don't think either of those games are perfect, but physics-wise, they're as close to perfect as you can currently get on their respective platforms.
 
The one thing I have to say in regard to Wolfe is that he is more than happy to admit that Enthusia has its faults, unlike the following, which appears to have slipped under many peoples radar.

(on Enthusia)
TRUST ME WHEN I SAY THIS, you have found the most realistic game ever made, more realistic than LFS, more than GT4 by a mile, more than GTR, more than Rfactor.......I have yet to play a game more realist yet and I have them all. You'll soon figure this out once you get your DFP. I'd recomend using the dual wheel setup to have a clutch pedal and e-brake lever with external shifter if your really into sim racing. Much fun. :)


Stunned (and that takes a lot for me)

Scaff
 
Comments like that are just as bad as commments like Gran Turismo is perfect. EPR is great, but it's not flawless. Imo it is more fun than GT4, I wouldn't however call it more realistic, rather I would say between GT4 and EPR it is a close call.

Reagarding GT4 specifically, there is no doubt that it is the most realistic GT game yet, the problem with GT isn't so muh the physics though there are better out there. It's that the races just arn't fun imo. You can argue it's just fun to drive, but I can have more fun just driving in LFS, GTR, GTL and RFactor, I can also have more fun racing in thoes games. In terms of which GT game was the best it's hard to say GT4 isn't, it's harder to try to explain why. Because the best I can come up with is it's just lacking that special something. Yeah that's a really technical reason. GT4 is the best GT game in terms of physics and content, it's just not the most fun imo. Maybe that just has something to do with the fact that it was between GT3 and GT4 I started playing games like LFS and GTR which have just upped my expectations of what I want from a Gran Turismo game more than I've realised.
 
The one thing I have to say in regard to Wolfe is that he is more than happy to admit that Enthusia has its faults, unlike the following, which appears to have slipped under many peoples radar.




Stunned (and that takes a lot for me)

Scaff

I was going to respond to that, but then I moved on to a different thread and forgot about it. :lol:

Speaking of Enthusia's faults, I've recently come to a new conclusion -- the difference in grip between newer cars and older cars seems to be quite arbitrary, as opposed to being based on the differences in suspension technology and/or tire technology. I noticed this when, according to the game, winning the D1GP in the BMW 2002 Turbo seemed like it would be a piece of cake...unlike the more modern FR's in the game, the 2002 can hold a drift for what seems like an eternity, no matter how small the angle is.
 
Err, no, firstly, Gran Turismo 4 is by far the best Gran Turismo game.

:bowdown:
:cheers:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

GT4 looks great, plays well, carries many of the older GT's highpoints and not many, if any of the lows.

With so many cars and so many tracks looking as good as they do and playing as well as they do I see no choice other than to say GT4 is the best of all GTs to date.

Runner-up, now that is up for debate. :sly:
 
Back