The XP system.

  • Thread starter Thread starter gaming25
  • 21 comments
  • 2,610 views
Messages
271
While I do understand the criticisms of the XP, I am not finding it to be that bad or anything like that. Very few cars are locked after level 30 and all I am saying is that it really isnt a big deal to get a couple more cars so quickly after the release in my opinion. The thing that I and others would always welcome would be more A Spec tournaments, but they wouldve had to switch it up drastically which is why its understandible that they didnt since most of all of the tracks are playble in A Spec.

So to really summarize, I dont find much wrong with the XP system, since I am kind of glad that I dont get to unlock everything just a week after the game's release. So I would think of it this way, play the game, enjoy it, and eventually down the line (if you arent going on an all out grindfest to get a couple of cars quickly) you will have some great cars. But more A Spec and tourneys is always a welcome that Kaz can add in the game. Oh yeah, and I would also like a wager and XP system for online as well :sly:
 
My only problem is endurance events. I love them and they do give quite a bit of xp but I think they should still give more.
 
My only problem is endurance events. I love them and they do give quite a bit of xp but I think they should still give more.

x2 That's a long time to sit on a video game doing one track over and over. Deserves a lot more xp.

I agree with the OP though. I keep trying to figure out why these kids are whining about it being so hard to level up in the high levels. If it were that easy to hit 40 you'd be done with the game and already start the progression of getting bored with it and moving on to another game.

I feel like it keeps giving me something to work at. If I can get through a video game in one week, then I've wasted 60 dollars.
 
Just out of curiousity, why would the game end at level 40?
 
x2 That's a long time to sit on a video game doing one track over and over. Deserves a lot more xp.

I agree with the OP though. I keep trying to figure out why these kids are whining about it being so hard to level up in the high levels. If it were that easy to hit 40 you'd be done with the game and already start the progression of getting bored with it and moving on to another game.

I feel like it keeps giving me something to work at. If I can get through a video game in one week, then I've wasted 60 dollars.

You realize that at the current setup, people will get bored way before finishing the game regardless. Grinding sucks, no one likes doing the same thing over and over again to level up or get enough cash. It doesn't help that GT5 is seriously lacking in events. I rather be able to finish the game in 2 weeks and then start to get bored rather then get into the grind cycle after a week, get bored of the game and never end up finishing it.
 
You realize that at the current setup, people will get bored way before finishing the game regardless. Grinding sucks, no one likes doing the same thing over and over again to level up or get enough cash. It doesn't help that GT5 is seriously lacking in events. I rather be able to finish the game in 2 weeks and then start to get bored rather then get into the grind cycle after a week, get bored of the game and never end up finishing it.

I guess there are just different people that want the game for different things. I didn't buy it to get to the last level in one week. What a piss away of money. I wanted it because I love racing in GT games and doing laps with different cars and tweaking them just to get that .001 faster.

If you bought it to get to level 40 in a week then you need to stick with NFS and Forza, and SOME people might get bored because they have to "grind"? But most GT fans play the game because they love racing. So if this game isn't your style, trade it in.


On the other hand, I agree there is a huge lack in events. They gave 40 levels and your done with all the other events by what? 29? Most retarded thing I've ever seen. Even though there are tons of tracks and tons of cars, so I'm still happy.
 
Just out of curiousity, why would the game end at level 40?

I'm not saying it ends. I feel like once you have hit that mark though, which a lot of these kids crying about XP won't anyways, then you start getting to the point where it's not the main game you want to play when you turn on your PS3. Right now, if my ps3 is on, the only game in is GT5.

For me, I know I'll still play the game consistently until something else fun comes out. Then it'll turn into an off and on type of deal. But I have a feeling that will be a long time!
 
I guess there are just different people that want the game for different things. I didn't buy it to get to the last level in one week. What a piss away of money. I wanted it because I love racing in GT games and doing laps with different cars and tweaking them just to get that .001 faster.

If you bought it to get to level 40 in a week then you need to stick with NFS and Forza, and SOME people might get bored because they have to "grind"? But most GT fans play the game because they love racing. So if this game isn't your style, trade it in.


On the other hand, I agree there is a huge lack in events. They gave 40 levels and your done with all the other events by what? 29? Most retarded thing I've ever seen. Even though there are tons of tracks and tons of cars, so I'm still happy.

I don't care about the levels. But the level stop me from moving on. I am stuck on level 20, and I want to do the level 21 races. Well, then I gotta go back and do some hardcore grinding. Its really boring. I have played GT3, and there was grinding, but because there were so many events and so much variety, the progression for the most part was very smooth. In GT5, it feels like they tried to compensate for the lack of events by giving us a leveling system. Its hard enough gathering enough money to buy those uber expensive race cars, but it doesn't help when you can't even race in the higher level races to get you the enough credits and EXP to be able to buy that race car, and then not to mention that you have to camp outside the used dealer ship to find certain race cars you need for certain events. Feels like they artificially tried to make the game longer than it really should be.
 
I don't care about the levels. But the level stop me from moving on. I am stuck on level 20, and I want to do the level 21 races. Well, then I gotta go back and do some hardcore grinding. Its really boring. I have played GT3, and there was grinding, but because there were so many events and so much variety, the progression for the most part was very smooth. In GT5, it feels like they tried to compensate for the lack of events by giving us a leveling system. Its hard enough gathering enough money to buy those uber expensive race cars, but it doesn't help when you can't even race in the higher level races to get you the enough credits and EXP to be able to buy that race car, and then not to mention that you have to camp outside the used dealer ship to find certain race cars you need for certain events. Feels like they artificially tried to make the game longer than it really should be.

if you need XP and your lvl 20 then enter the rally races in special events... some get u 14000xp for 1 series and theres 3 series to the challenge... that is 42000xp by my count, should be enough :)
 
Yeah, special events are great for fast leveling. I'm at level 23 with still some events undone and zero grinding so far!
 
i think it is worse around lvl 23 -25.

I am about halfway through lvl23, i have done all the licenses and special events (minus the lvl24 amg one obvs), I haven't got gold, mainly silver.

Of the a-spec events i've done all the professional and expert, all the extreme available (minus a few nascar because i hate nascar with a passion).

There just isn't enough to do in a-spec now. I don't see why they couldn't have easily doubled/tripled the number of professional/extreme events. Like where are the HP limit events ie 500hp/750hp events :(

I can't believe they play tested the game at all. A-spec just seems thrown together at the last minute when they knew they had a release date to meet.

At the minute I am just grinding the indy american series for money and points. I like collecting the supercars and messing about with them in practice.
 
I agree with most in here, who wants to finish GT5 in a week? Or two? Not me, I love working hard for certain things and I love the fact that this game will last me at least until Mortal Kombat 2011 comes out next Spring sometime. I'm at level 27 at the moment, currently waiting on a Formula GT car so I can do that Championship, it's the last one I have to do before I hit the Endurance races.

Instead of entering and exiting a race 5x to see if the Formula GT pops up in Used Cars, I'm doing the Dream Car Championship, or an Indy Oval race 5x then going back to the Used Car Dealership to see if it has popped up yet, because I know I'm going to do be needing the CR and EXP down the road.
 
I'm not saying it ends. I feel like once you have hit that mark though, which a lot of these kids crying about XP won't anyways, then you start getting to the point where it's not the main game you want to play when you turn on your PS3. Right now, if my ps3 is on, the only game in is GT5.

For me, I know I'll still play the game consistently until something else fun comes out. Then it'll turn into an off and on type of deal. But I have a feeling that will be a long time!

But that's an assumption. Progression in GT is, IMO, a waste of time. I bought the game to race. As I please. I don't see a reason to go through hoops doing what races PD thinks I should do [for the sixth time].

The level system doesn't add longevity to the game in the eyes of many, myself included. All it does is subtract from the time you get to play the game in a way that is fun.

It's not just about wanting the X1. It's about being able to wake up and do a F2010 race because you felt like it, and then two minutes later switch to a Toyota Vitz race because you felt like it. Right now, you might be able to afford/get one or another cars, but you can't get them all quickly. That means your racing choices are always limited.

Just because someone doesn't like leveling and grinding doesn't mean they don't like to race. In fact, I see it as the opposite. Those who truly like racing for the sake of racing are the ones I expect to dislike GT5's progression system.

I agree with most in here, who wants to finish GT5 in a week? Or two?

No one wants to finish GT5 fast. Especially the people who complain about grinding.
 
Do u get xp and cr everytime you redo races (grind)?
 
Well I guess that's where it comes into a difference of preferences obviously. It took me a week to get to a 22. At a 22 I have a lot of unlocked stuff that I still haven't taken advantage of. A lot of cars I still want to buy and race and tweak. A lot of tracks I still want to see what kind of records I can set on.

So to me, it's not about having everything right now. Because when it comes down to it I'll take my favorite cars and go through the champion ships with them. Then I'll take my b spec guys and let them win some races over and over to level them up, and then come back and I'll have that money too.

I agree there should be more events, but this complaining about wanting to do everything now just seems crazy to me.

And I see what you're saying, it's just the ones who actually enjoy racing can take out all different types of cars, and race them for xp and cr and love doing so. That's what I'm getting at. If you don't like racing tracks with different cars and trying to get faster times then what do you like?

Oh yeah, being able to choose any car you want and take it out and race it? Where's the fun in that? How is it fun to be a week in the game and have everything open to you? What so you can't take out a formula car yet? So everyone is going to cry about it? Which right now being a week in I'm pretty close to being able to anyways, only a week in. So I guess I'm just having a hard time understanding why everyones crying.

If they enjoy the racing part of GT5, they don't mind racing tracks over and over and switching cars and then trying to beat times. I guess the "gamers" in some of you makes you want to be able to beat the game with ease though.
 
I don't mind doing events over and over with different cars, but at the same time, I wish they would put in enough events to support the XP system to prevent people from grinding.
 
I'll take my favorite cars and go through the champion ships with them. Then I'll take my b spec guys and let them win some races over and over to level them up, and then come back and I'll have that money too.
But that's just it. I have a rather large list of favorites. GT5 prevents you from experiencing diversity and all that because you can only get so much at a time.

There are two options:

1. Grind the highest paying race to diversify your garage/racing options

2. Take the slow route and try to progress with diversity. The problem is, it's really slow. And even then, when you've amassed enough XP to move on, you won't have the money needed to move on because you have spent it buying other cars in the name of diversity. Which means to progress you're back to option 1.

And I see what you're saying, it's just the ones who actually enjoy racing can take out all different types of cars, and race them for xp and cr and love doing so. That's what I'm getting at. If you don't like racing tracks with different cars and trying to get faster times then what do you like?
This goes with what I said above. Sure I like racing, but I didn't buy GT to be told what and when I can race. Going for the diversity option hurts progression, so people like me lose either way.

Oh yeah, being able to choose any car you want and take it out and race it? Where's the fun in that? How is it fun to be a week in the game and have everything open to you?
That's as fun as the game gets. I see nothing interesting about progression and unlocking. Nothing. It takes away from the game as far as I'm concerned. It seems to be the idea of many that unlocking is just how it is. But that's not true. It's preference.

What so you can't take out a formula car yet? So everyone is going to cry about it? Which right now being a week in I'm pretty close to being able to anyways, only a week in. So I guess I'm just having a hard time understanding why everyones crying.

It's not about the F1. I used it only as an example. For starters, I want to at least have every car I had in GT4, which is over 300. 99.999% of those 300 cars are in the used dealership, where they randomly appear, and even if I have the money, I may not be able to buy them. And then once I buy them, if they are the truly expensive cars, I need to grind to fix them.

If they enjoy the racing part of GT5, they don't mind racing tracks over and over and switching cars and then trying to beat times. I guess the "gamers" in some of you makes you want to be able to beat the game with ease though.

It's quite the opposite. I come from simulators, where everything is unlocked. I do not have the mentality that makes 100% completetion important. If I could, I'd disable trophies. Beating GT life means absolutely nothing to me. Gran Turismo's appeal is the racing. And while I do like many different types of racing, that in no way implies that I should like being forced to race this way or that when I simply want to do something else. If I recall, user created rooms was one of the biggest demands in GT5P. It's obvious why this was.

Also, GT5 is anything but hard. Hard and long are very, very different.
 
Requiring you to play the game for 400+ hours to unlock the Nurb 24h endurance or the X1 for purchase is just insane. PD will have to add hundreds of events to help people to get to level 40 without grinding away for weeks.
 
The problem with levelling is it is a completely artificial arcade reward system that's simply not necessary in a racing simulator.

Licenses could be a pain but at least they were logical, model a real life requirement for racing and provided a teaching experience for those that needed it.

GT has in the past always had a reward / constraint system built in beyond the licenses and that was economics. It's fair enough that if you don't have the money to buy a Race Modified car, then you wait until you have earned that mlney through prizes & prize money. Real life is like that.

But you don't ever go into a car dealer to buy say an S2000 and the dealer refuses to sell it to you because "you're not a high enough level". The only car maker I know of that ever tested your ability to drive the car before they would sell it was Mclaren with the Mclaren F1

Why would they introduce an artificial arcade reward system into 'the real driving simulator'? I think it is because the AI isn't good enough to offer a sense of reward when you win a race.

The best times I have had in previous versions of GT is once I had a garage full of cars so that I could race what I wanted when I wanted.

Prize money, Prize cars and a sense of satisfaction from beating a competetive AI is all it needed. The XP system is a total abomination in my opinion.
 
They gave 40 levels and your done with all the other events by what? 29?

Combine this with the fact that adding races/series/championships is by far one of the easiest projects for the team to tackle.

- the cars are already there
- the tracks are already there
- even the section is already there

They do not have to create anything at all. It seems to me that PD spent 95% of their time making the game spectacular in every way, but only 5% of the time in making the actual GAME part of the game.
 
Back