• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 2 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
A much less chaotic, not as many lockdown times happened in 2021 for motorsports. As I normally like to do each year, I want to take a look at the current year in motorsports before we look ahead to the new year in motorsports. So this is a thread to discuss all of the goings on in motorsports for (in this case) 2021. Anything relevant to motorsports is free for discussion. It is also best to discuss any motorsports events and championships that have been completed. For example, you can discuss the 2020-2021 season of Formula E because it was completed this year, but you can't discuss the 2021-2022 season of Formula E.

There are a number of things you can discuss regarding this year in motorsports. If you don't know where to start or don't have any ideas to discuss, here are some to get you started:

• best moments of the year (races, teams, drivers, events, anything motorsports related)
  • worst moments of the year (races, teams, drivers, events, anything motorsports related)
  • indifferent moments of the year
  • most memorable motorsports moments this year
  • overall review of 2021 in motorsports
  • what to look ahead to in 2022 for motorsports

I intended on posting this before the Formula 1 World Championship concluded. However, I decided to release this topic today. Let us take a look back at 2021 in motorsports in 2021. Go!

This is not a cumulative review, but I will share some of my more memorable moments on this year. For one thing, I found it was amazing to see loads of people in the stands at the Indianapolis 500 as more people got vaccinated. It was even a great race. It was sad I didn't get to see the F1 finale between Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton.

I want to offer my condolences to all the motorsports personalities we've lost in 2021. Some that hit me hard are the losses of Al Unser Sr., Robin Miller, Bob Jenkins, and Murray Walker. I liked the tell-it-like-it-is personality of Robin Miller as one of the most esteemed motorsports journalists. Al Unser Sr. was a racing legend. You certainly get a tingle in your body hearing the surname of Unser and what it entails. Bob Jenkins and Murray Walker were two excellent announcers who both were engaging in calling races. Certainly Murray Walker was amazing calling races.

I wanted to bump this back up to hopefully gauge some more look backs at 2021. So go ahead if you'd like to contribute to this look back at 2021 in motorsports.

Best Moments
  • Best F1 season for as long as I can remember, producing a title fight that so many were desperate for
  • Indycar with another cracking season, and drivers like Palou and O'Ward finally showing their true potential
  • BTCC continuing to produce a great show throughout 2021
Worst Moments
  • Spa GP was an absolute farce
  • Merc's whining overshadowing the F1 finale
  • Hamilton taking out Verstappen at Silverstone
  • Lando getting robbed of his first win in Russia by the weather
Indifferent Moments
  • LM Hypercar didn't get off to the best of starts since Toyota romped the season again with no competition
Most Memorable
  • Final lap of Abu Dhabi was the most intense thing I've ever seen
  • Verstappen's heroic stand against Hamilton in Austin
  • Helio winning his historic 4th Indy 500
  • Ricciardo winning at Monza
Overall
A year of racing full of fantastic and controversial moments. F1 breaking the monotomy of Merc domination was a breath of fresh air and Indycar's youth movement produced exciting racing.

Looking forward in 2022
  • F1's new ground effect aero regs, hoping to allow the cars to follow each other better
  • BTCC embracing hybrid technology
  • Peugeot arriving in LM Hypercar

Last edited:
Back