There needs to be a competitive AI mode

  • Thread starter Thread starter PhantomF
  • 15 comments
  • 1,298 views
Messages
18
Messages
PhantomFTR
My main problem with this game is it's way too difficult to find a good/entertaining competitive race against the AI. The longer the race is the harder it is to have an exciting race. Either your car is too slow and you get creamed or it's too fast and you're forced to slow up to give the AI a chance.

There needs to be an AI mode where the AI cars can change skill dynamically to give you a good competitive race not matter what. For instance say I have a stock 458 Italia and am racing against a bunch of lesser Ferraris such as 430's and even some 360's. Well obviously the 458 is superior but the game should see this and buff up the other cars to be on par with my 458 and then keep the race competitive. If I'm up by a couple hundred feet then boost the AI to catch up to me and challenge for the lead. If I fall back then slow the AI up to give me a chance to catch up. Keep this up for the entire race and I would have a blast playing single player.

I realize this is a simulation game and this would probably not work for standard Aspec races but this type of feature should at least be offered in a separate arcade or practice mode called competitive AI race or something and even optional for Aspec if you want to use it. I think it would just make the game so much more enjoyable.
 
The AI itself needs to be faster. They should be able to get laps within 1 second of what a human can achieve.
 
In arcade mode I'd prefare adjustable A.I and the ability to select opponents.
 
The AI itself needs to be faster. They should be able to get laps within 1 second of what a human can achieve.

Agree and add PP to singleplayer events. I think a catch up boost would kill the game for me but I wouldn't have a problem with it being an optional thing.
 
Yeah it seems crazy to me that there's no way to adjust AI strength at all in this game.
 
This may help you to get in more challenging races.

The P/W ratio is just like Performance Points, but in a slightly different way.

And yeah, I like competitive races and I completely agree with some people saying that the AI itself need to be faster. That's why I'm using this spreadsheet!

I will be pleased if PP system is added to A-Spec, and it will make that spreadsheet useless! :D
 
Last edited:
Thanks Gamerwillz, will give the spreadsheet a try 👍
 
AI also needs to be more aggressive , right now all you have ti do is ride their bumper a little and they will lift on the gas hit the brakes and let you go by then never try to get their spot back !
 
If I'm up by a couple hundred feet then boost the AI to catch up to me and challenge for the lead. If I fall back then slow the AI up to give me a chance to catch up. Keep this up for the entire race and I would have a blast playing single player.

It starts to get old really quickly when you're racing a sports car against Kei cars that hang on to your bumper effortlessly for the entire race and then blast past in the final corners if you make the slightest mistake. The good old rubberband AI struck again. If you've played GT2 you know exactly what I mean. I also suggest searching for rubberband AI to see how much people like it in general.

Having said that, it's really impossible to have a "competitive" AI for everyone without rubberbanding. OK, the situation may be such that I'm leaving them behind by three seconds a lap which is too much. But there are people who are five seconds a lap slower than me and they're already getting killed by the opposition. Imagine my frustration if I had to deal with the AI that matches the skill level of the slower players, or their frustration if they were pitted against the AI that would keep me occupied for the entire race.
 
Having said that, it's really impossible to have a "competitive" AI for everyone without rubberbanding. OK, the situation may be such that I'm leaving them behind by three seconds a lap which is too much. But there are people who are five seconds a lap slower than me and they're already getting killed by the opposition. Imagine my frustration if I had to deal with the AI that matches the skill level of the slower players, or their frustration if they were pitted against the AI that would keep me occupied for the entire race.

Unless I misunderstand your post I must say you could not be more wrong. I play a lot of the PC game GTR2 which has an excellent AI (relative to other games).

going from memory...GTR2 has 4 or 5 settings for the AI for increasing difficulty (beginner, intermediate, professional, Alien. Within this setting there is a scale that goes from 90-120% to further fine tune the AI. You can also select AI Aggressiveness (timid, normal, angry).

And best of all if you have a field of AI in the same or similar cars you will notice their paces will vary. A few will be quite fast, most are in the middle, and some are quite slow. What i do is tweak the AI settings until I can finish mid-pack then work on my own skills until I can beat the AI. Then I increase some or all of the AI settings for another challenge! great stuff that works well...and IIRC this game of GTR2 came out 4 or 5 years ago! PD should contact SimBin for help.
:)
 
It would help if you could select tires for the ai cars too. I'd use sports softs myself but give race softs for the ai cars or so. Plus it would help if you could control the pp of the ai cars so you could set the field to 600pp and use a 400 pp car yourself or so.

The ai itself sucks horribly and only way to really fix it though is to code it better. The aid doesn't even seem to understand or notice road camber so they brake at tracks like daytona for example. It's just so poor...
 
AI is GT5's single greatest downfall. If the AI was a little more "intelligent" and a bit less "artificial", I would have no reason to play any other game. And if you could pick your opposition you could set up any scenario you could ever dream of.

Instead, I find myself getting frustrated by the AI (not to mention the ridiculous collision sounds) and playing F1 2010 instead, only to return to GT5 for a few laps of the Nordschleife every now and then.

Had the most challenging race on F1 yesterday, battling with 3 cars for the entire 20 lap race and I remembered why I love that game so much. Sadly, until PD something about the AI in GT5, it won't be getting a lot of game time any time soon
 
It starts to get old really quickly when you're racing a sports car against Kei cars that hang on to your bumper effortlessly for the entire race and then blast past in the final corners if you make the slightest mistake. The good old rubberband AI struck again. If you've played GT2 you know exactly what I mean. I also suggest searching for rubberband AI to see how much people like it in general.

Having said that, it's really impossible to have a "competitive" AI for everyone without rubberbanding. OK, the situation may be such that I'm leaving them behind by three seconds a lap which is too much. But there are people who are five seconds a lap slower than me and they're already getting killed by the opposition. Imagine my frustration if I had to deal with the AI that matches the skill level of the slower players, or their frustration if they were pitted against the AI that would keep me occupied for the entire race.

Well there would obviously have to be limitations to this. So if you're driving a Zonda and are racing a bunch of muscle cars then there's just no way the AI would be able to keep up with you. You would have to use some sense in choosing the car you're entering into a race based on known competitors. You shouldn't have to start a race 5 different times to get a feel for which car/setup you will need in a specific race to have some fun, which is what I've found myself doing on several occasions.

Unless I misunderstand your post I must say you could not be more wrong. I play a lot of the PC game GTR2 which has an excellent AI (relative to other games).

going from memory...GTR2 has 4 or 5 settings for the AI for increasing difficulty (beginner, intermediate, professional, Alien. Within this setting there is a scale that goes from 90-120% to further fine tune the AI. You can also select AI Aggressiveness (timid, normal, angry).

And best of all if you have a field of AI in the same or similar cars you will notice their paces will vary. A few will be quite fast, most are in the middle, and some are quite slow. What i do is tweak the AI settings until I can finish mid-pack then work on my own skills until I can beat the AI. Then I increase some or all of the AI settings for another challenge! great stuff that works well...and IIRC this game of GTR2 came out 4 or 5 years ago! PD should contact SimBin for help.
:)

This sounds good! "The real driving simulator" can't even simulate the most important aspect of racing, your competition. So fundamental and yet so broken in this game!
 
This sounds good! "The real driving simulator" can't even simulate the most important aspect of racing, your competition. So fundamental and yet so broken in this game!

True that
 
Agreed. It gets boring running time trials with myself.
 
Take note PD:



If Rfactor could manage competitive racing 6 years ago, surely you can do the same with GT5...
 
Back