There was a guy who got the toyota MR2 to pop wheelies... how exactly?

• Thread starter wheelhp
  • 10 comments
Australia
Australia
Saw it on youtube on the blue moon drag sections with the higher grip. He didn't share the tune though

As for my ride.. It's swapped. I've tried everything over the last few days. I think my weight reduction was the problem can't can't undo that. I did put ballast all the way rearward not sure but seemed to give me indication it would but no great wheelies yet

If anyone has info or even a tune that's great

Last edited:
Saw it on youtube on the blue moon drag sections with the higher grip. He didn't share the tune though

As for my ride.. It's swapped. I've tried everything over the last few days. I think my weight reduction was the problem can't can't undo that. I did put ballast all the way rearward not sure but seemed to give me indication it would but no great wheelies yet

If anyone has info or even a tune that's great
Try raising the rear end and soften the rear suspension settings. Set the LSD to the max/most effective settings. Maybe lowering the rear downforce and max out the front. Idk. I’m just spitballing here. I know you said it’s engine swapped (R8)? And I’m assuming that you have it fully tuned up. Oh and of course tires RS. Apologies if this is useless information but your post had me thinking 🍻

Dont ssweat it! give it another go must be some settings ive missed. Think gearing plays a really big role as well

found a different vid that might help since its a wheelie tune for gt sport. which i didn't think was possible either considering its not swapped so it has less power? He gives some special instructions that are useful

Last edited:
You need ballast, fully customisable suspension and racing soft tyres.

1. Raise the suspension to max (front and rear)

2. Make the front suspension as soft as possible (dampers and frequency). Set the rear camber angle to 0, for maximum straight line grip.

3. Add 200 kg of ballast to the trunk.

That’s all :)

Edit: For bigger wheelies, buy customizeable transmission and set the first gear ratio to max (top speed 50 km/h in 1st gear).

Last edited:
You need ballast, fully customisable suspension and racing soft tyres.

1. Raise the suspension to max (front and rear)

2. Make the front suspension as soft as possible (dampers and frequency). Set the rear camber angle to 0, for maximum straight line grip.

3. Add 200 kg of ballast to the trunk.

That’s all :)

Edit: For bigger wheelies, buy customizeable transmission and set the first gear ratio to max (top speed 50 km/h in 1st gear).

That is fantastic result! Thank you sir I will give it a go and fiddle with it

Update: discovered my problem, couldn't beleive it but lucky I had two Mr2's to try this with!
So I've not managed to get it working with a fully upgraded engine swapped MR2 (with increased rigidity and weight reduction mods)! for some reason... the swapped engine does not work with wheelies??? Even after throwing everything at it and tuning nothing but wheelies for 3 hours..
But with the stock engine and minimal hp mods and no weight reduction and with stock rims(skinnier looking tyres) it works a charm?? What??? :crazy:

My only guess is the swapped engine doesn't have enough inertia and changes grip levels.. it's crazy how it won't work for me with a swapped engine car on wide tyres. If anyone has a tune for swapped engine, I'd love to see how you got it to work

I think the weight reduction mods and/or aftermarket wheels might prevent wheelies on this car as well as the engine swap. I am just flabbergasted, I have no idea why the physics of my other Mr2 would not allow it.. but some combination of something was stopping me from even getting a single wheelie till I started with a bone stock MR2 and did minimal mods to it

Last edited:
That is fantastic result! Thank you sir I will give it a go and fiddle with it

Update: discovered my problem, couldn't beleive it but lucky I had two Mr2's to try this with!
So I've not managed to get it working with a fully upgraded engine swapped MR2 (with increased rigidity and weight reduction mods)! for some reason... the swapped engine does not work with wheelies???
But with the stock engine and minimal hp mods and no weight reduction it works a charm?? What??? :crazy:

My only guess is the swapped engine doesn't have enough inertia and changes grip levels.. it's crazy how it won't work for me with a swapped engine
Yeah, I was surprised to learn how easy it was 😁

Perhaps the engine swap changes the weight balance?

The thought of the engine swap changing the weight balance did cross my mind, though I don't quite think it's just that simple. Could be that simple, but if not it'll be good to find out what's going on

Likely it's the weight reduction mods which you cannot remove. I have both MR2s at 300hp with stock transmissions and stock differentials. The engine swapped car weighs 1209kg with ballast.. the MR2 that wheelies weighs 1470kg with ballast as it has no weight reduction mods... that 200kg+ difference is THE factor. so in future, I've got to think "do I want this car to ever wheelie" and consider not buying any weight reduction mods for certain cars.

I challenge anyone to wheelie an MR2 with both an engine swap and all weight reduction mods bringing it down to 1209kg with rear ballast. I'll wait because it's impossible!

Last edited:
Looking at the power curve, the original engine has a much bigger surge in sudden power compared to the swapped engine.
But I havent upgraded either, so I dont know how much the actual value is at any point.

The swapped engine has more torque and is more peaky I guess, was thinking it's an issue with such small tyres it'd just spin instead. That was my thinking.

Back