They totaled my car for a dented fender, hood, bumper, and broken headlight.

• Thread starter Sertsa
  • 4 comments
I wanted to share my pain somewhere. I have a 2012 Mazda 3 with a manual transmission, one of only two cars I bought new. It has been fantastic.

But a little over a week ago, in search of modems as my ISP fried them all in an update, I hit a deer. I didn't think it was too bad and mostly feel bad for the deer. Initial estimate was under $3k. A bit much, but okay. Today, however, I was told the estimate is around $5,600, close enough to the car's value to total it.

It's still drivable, and I went and got it. The shop didn't even remove a fender before upping the estimate, but I'll have to deal with a complex salvage title/insurance/rebuilt salvage inspection/can-it-get-insured genuflecting rigmarole.

And the car market is not good. Nor is anyone making an efficient, reliable, and engaging car with a manual for under US$20K.

And coupled with other expenses, like how much my medical insurance will be next year, I'm not having the greatest time dealing with things.

Maybe a motorcycle? I have the endorsement, but I live in a rainy/snowy place.

I really like my bicycle, but I avoid roads shared with motor vehicles, as I've known two killed and have been attacked while riding.

Maybe pack up and move to a place where I can use my bike, public transportation, and maybe one of those new Honda suitcase scooter things.

Anyone dealt with the salvage-but-still-drivable thing?

Last edited:
Yeah the sneaky "repair bill worth as much as the car you like" sucks, same basic thing (but of being rear ended) was what did in the '09 Genesis I briefly owned back when I first got my permit.

Willing to bet the deer did some special unibody realigning in the process of being hit (poor thing).

As for salvage-but-drivable, depends on your comfort level and what exactly went wrong.

Yeah the sneaky "repair bill worth as much as the car you like" sucks, same basic thing (but of being rear ended) was what did in the '09 Genesis I briefly owned back when I first got my permit.

Willing to bet the deer did some special unibody realigning in the process of being hit (poor thing).

As for salvage-but-drivable, depends on your comfort level and what exactly went wrong.
Thanks. It hurts. I don't believe there is any structural/drivability damage at all. It looks like I can at least straighten the hood, maybe the fender. I'm not sure about the bumper. One headlight definitely needs replaced, but that's the only really broken part.

I have a 2002 Honda Civic,i hit a deer in 2017, $4500 was the estimate(he landed on the hood and lots of front end damage but no damage to the headlights or either fender), they wanted to write it off,i told them i put a different engine in it in 2015,cost $3000,.....he asked if i had the receipt, i did ,sent it to him,hour later ,he calls back and says they will repair it,still driving it today...

Back