think I found an oldie...

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sniffs
  • 18 comments
  • 817 views
Messages
2,568
Messages
we're waiting for the PS4
Messages
fishtailrook1 (?)
I went in yesterday for gas and passed this oldie on the way in. on the way back, I stopped in and gave it a once over. I might just pounce on it.

I need Mopar guys in on this!

the car is a plain white 60Something Dodge Monaco (I can't find info on the way to determin the year, but I think it's a 65)

I copied down the entire cowl tag data just in case.
 
How's the body, oh king of the rustbelt?

Price?

Engine/trans?
 
Dodge Monaco?
 
Buy it, Buy it, Buy it :D

But seriously, it all depends on what shape it's in, and how much time and money you'd be willing to put into it. If it really strikes you as a good car, and you like it, then I'd say definately go for it.
 
Rotary: THAT goes straight into my sig!
engine's allready been modified and updated, so I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole (would you mess with Edelbrock goodies?), but it has to be a V8. it might also be a replacement. my best guess (untill I call the current owner for details) might be the infamous 318. sounds gorgeous, too. Slushbox (saves me some effort), and I hope it's a 3 speed :P
the body is pretty damn sound considering it's 40 years old. it's in better shape than diablo's Cuda, quite frankly (same color, too), and the only bad spot appears to be a fender corner. heck, it's in better body shape than my 4Runner atm. interior's half decent, the only bad spot in the vinyl being the driver's butt-patch. the dash isn't even cracked, which I found amazing.

Holden: think Commodore with about an extra metre of arse on it. I think it's around 4500 mm...and it sure doesn't look like a yaght.

it's the sedan, which means it should pretty much go for a song. I have to contact the current owner (he didn't put a price on it while it set out) for more details. but, that's why I copied down the cowl-tag info.

this is the nose that's on it. it's in white
1967_Dodge_Monaco_500_fsvp=KRM.jpg
 
That's a '67, just checked.
 
My cars older :p

If it's in that good of a condition then you should definately buy it. The taillights look mean as hell to boot. What do they want for it?
 
Know what, the price should be really rather low: It doesn't have a name that starts with a "C," and It's not a Hemi. If the guy doesn't want too much for it, I say go for the big 4-door. or 2-door.
 
*sigh*

so much for that.
I've just talked to the owner (who needs to sell the car due to both retirement and a Cancer), he confirmed 67. Unforunately, he wants $1100. I have only half of that in my "put up" money (some of which I need to keep my Daily running).

the engine is a 383.
 
That is extremely cheap, especially with the size of the engine. Hell, just sell your daily and buy that. Then again, a 383 isn't exactly cheap on gas.
 
it's also only half an inch off the ground. my job requies crawling up winter drifted driveways, logging roads, etc. Besides, the daily is worth only it's metal-weight...it's old enough for antique plates itself :P
 
That's too bad then. I'd keep the guys number just in case, though by the sounds of things it probably will sell quick.

How old is your daily, or are you just joking about it's age.
 
$1,100? A 383 for $100 more than my 1.6L Chevrolet Nova. That's a deal that won't be coming back anytime soon.

It's a shame you don't have any more money to play with. It would be a wonderful car, a perfect way to get into Mopars without getting in over your head.

Still, see if you can't talk him down a little.
 
I'm not joking...much

it's going to be 19 years old, shortly. my first car would qualify for antique plates next september, my first toyota would allready need them.

that nova should HAVE a collector plate on it :P (even the AE82's are now in the "old Fart" catagory"

i don't think it would sell quick. it's an obscure sedan. I'd be more afraid this thing would go straight to the scrapyard than anything else. there's been reports that car parts are suddenly extremely scarce because there's more money in selling them for scrap than there is for anything else.

*frowns* I was just informed that there is no collectors value in a sedan! I'm not exactly looking for a "collectors value". this will be for emergencys and Car Shows.

I wanna oldie, dammit
 
I would have bought it on the spot man!
 
I'm not joking...much

it's going to be 19 years old, shortly. my first car would qualify for antique plates next september, my first toyota would allready need them.

that nova should HAVE a collector plate on it :P (even the AE82's are now in the "old Fart" catagory"

i don't think it would sell quick. it's an obscure sedan. I'd be more afraid this thing would go straight to the scrapyard than anything else. there's been reports that car parts are suddenly extremely scarce because there's more money in selling them for scrap than there is for anything else.

*frowns* I was just informed that there is no collectors value in a sedan! I'm not exactly looking for a "collectors value". this will be for emergencys and Car Shows.

I wanna oldie, dammit

I can't get AV plates for a few more years yet, it's 20 years old, but it needs to be 25.

Again, see if you can talk this guy down...if it's not in demand, It's better for you...granted, the price is already EXTREMELY low, but if you explain your situation to the guy, he might concede a little.

I also don't like reccommending this...but have you considered a small loan?
 
Last edited:
Microbanking! Oh, wait.

That sucks on the price, even if it is below bargain basement level.
 
Prower: no credit, and no real bank account. I try not to keep money in a bank. sounds rednecky, I know, but I don't trust electronics now that some idiot made a movie about the arabs causing a depression by detonating a nuke 500 miles up to create an EMP that'll clean out all the computer chips.

we have a "classic" plate in this state at the 20 year level.

a bargin basment price is what my mother paid for my first car (so I could haul her to work).

$125!
 
note to the admin: the "edit" command has been seized by malware! http://www.dovico.com/?cid=502 is the address it's going to when you click the edit button!
 
Back