Thinking of Buying a Wheel for the First Time

  • Thread starter Thread starter Chqr
  • 15 comments
  • 892 views
Messages
3,273
United Kingdom
London
Messages
Chqr
I'm a competent and regular GT5 Driver with the good ol' favourite Dualshock 3 controller.

Now, I'm 16 so Real life driving is not too far away for me. I am thinking of purchasing a wheel. I've done my homework and so far I'm leaning towards the Logitech range - simply because I use their headset for my Ps3 which is over 5 years old and still runs great.

I was wondering GTP, what wheel would be best for me? a new driver to a wheel. I really want 'compatibility' with buttons on the wheel to help me direct through the GT5 Menus. I've got roughly £100 to spend.
 
Also, how big is the jump from DS3 to a wheel?
 
Chqr
Also, how big is the jump from DS3 to a wheel?

it's a big jump, I use the logitech G27 and I tried ti use the controller at my friends house and I sucked. The wheel changed my skill with controllers, but it's worth it.
 
Fair enough. Its just that I've never been better with my DS3, golding licenses, seasonals and what not. I wonder that a wheel may 'screw up' my driving ability.
 
you will learn it pretty fast and be a faster driver too! :p
wheel = heaven :)
 
Chqr
Fair enough. Its just that I've never been better with my DS3, golding licenses, seasonals and what not. I wonder that a wheel may 'screw up' my driving ability.

i had the g25 through gt5 prologue then when gt5 came out I traded the g25 for the g27 and have all gold liscence and I'm a pretty good drifter, the racing doesnt take much skill but drifting takes alot of skill
 
I buy a DFGT from logitech not a week ago, and i must tell you, my best buy in years.
Not a to expensive wheel, about 100€, full suport from the game, plenty of force feadback.
In the first days I did struggle to get accustomed to the wheel and to the gas/brake sensitivity, but after that, it's so mutch better and a lot more rewarding playing the game.

My advice, go for it, you won't regret it.
 
Im also 16 and my dad brought home a G27 about 2 or 3 weeks ago... Its really worth it. Big improvement on lap times with the wheel
 
Buy the Logitech Driving Force GT. Its a cheap but good wheel. Using it myself. The gap from DS3 to Wheel is pretty big but within a few days you will be even better with wheel than with controller. :)

The Logitech DFGT is also compatible with GT5 so u can adjust all the controls as u want. U cant do this with a g25 or g27 :) So imo DFGT is the best buy :)
 
Can only agree with all of the above. I bought a DFGT after using a controller since GT1, and it's the best thing since sliced bread! It will take a couple of days getting used to. Go back to the lower powered cars to relearn your techniques.

Have a look in the wheels sub-forum if you want some more opinions. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=163

That's where I made my decision from. Lots of experience there.👍
 
I will suggest what I suggest to almost everyone else, the DFGT wheel! This wheel was made by Logitech with GT5 in mind, so why wouldn't anyone buy this great wheel?! There are a ton of pros that come with this wheel and of course at a very reasonable price.
 
Yes, get the Driving Force GT from Logitech.

There is a very steep learning curve to these. You WILL be slower at first, and you may get very frustrated.

My advice is to essentially start the game over. Do the Licenses again and do the special events again. Turn off all aids (you can keep ABS though), set the controls to manual, and start driving slow cars. Before you know it, the wheel will be second nature and you'll be faster than you ever were on DS3.
 
when i first bought my wheel i was struggling to control even the slowest cars, but now i'm 5+ seconds quicker with the wheel. not only am i faster, but GT5 is also much funner. a wheel is definitely worth it, and if i were you i would look into the DFGT.
 
I'm a competent and regular GT5 Driver with the good ol' favourite Dualshock 3 controller.

Now, I'm 16 so Real life driving is not too far away for me. I am thinking of purchasing a wheel. I've done my homework and so far I'm leaning towards the Logitech range - simply because I use their headset for my Ps3 which is over 5 years old and still runs great.

I was wondering GTP, what wheel would be best for me? a new driver to a wheel. I really want 'compatibility' with buttons on the wheel to help me direct through the GT5 Menus. I've got roughly £100 to spend.

A concise description of the DFGT :)

But the gear stick is fixed on the 'wrong' side and some people struggle to find the sequential shift on the wheel, because they are buttons rather than paddles.

Those were reason enough for me to go for a G25. There are loads of very satisfied and fast drivers using the DFGT, though.
 
I, too, have been wanting to make the change to the Logitech - does it mount to anything or does it just sit in your lap??
 
I, too, have been wanting to make the change to the Logitech - does it mount to anything or does it just sit in your lap??

The Driving Force GT does NOT sit in your lap. You NEED to create, or buy, some sort of mount.

www.playseats.com makes the most popular pre-made setup. You can also fabricate your own out of any number of materials (PVC, Wood, Metal, etc).

The Wireless Logitech Wheel can be used without pedals and on your lap. DO NOT TRY TO USE A DRIVING FORCE GT ON YOUR LAP.
 
Back