Thinking of getting assetto CorsaPC 

• Thread starter 666666
  • 8 comments
United Kingdom
Carmarthenshire
Im thinking of getting Assetto Corsa, but I have no idea what the difference between it and assetto corsa competizione is. I’m not looking for a multiplayer only game. I don’t usually play online but sometimes dip in and out. So if one is online only then it’s not for me.
Can someone give me some helpful info please?

Both of them are offline/online playable.

Assetto is the older game, has a wider variety of road/race cars and tracks. Fully moddable. No day/night or weather stock but there are mods that adds this.

Assetto Competizione is a focused game on the Blancpain GT3 series. Only has GT3 cars and tracks. Not moddable currently. Day/night and weather is standard. Slightly better physics/FFB and sound IMO but this could be subjective. Oh and it's currently still in early access with release planned later this year.

In my opinion if you really love driving and trying out cars/tracks get Assetto. If you love GT racing and don't mind the narrower content get Competizione. If you have the money, just get both :D

Similar question here and not wanting to create a second thread I'm going to jump in here.

I race GT Sport, enjoy online but lately the Sport Mode races are a bit rubbish and have not enticed me online. I've completed all the off line challenges (at least the ones that interest me) I'm looking at giving Assetto Corsa a go. With it being an older game the "Ultimate" version is reasonable value now with all DLCs and Updates.

A couple of queries:

1: How does the AI in AC rate compared to GT Sport? GT Sport AI like to slam on the brakes randomly, once passed they generally drop off your tail and don't challenge you unless you make a mess of it and a half decent driver can start at the back of a Gr3 race and get to the front in a few laps. How to AC's AI rate? Are they more realistic in their behaviour? Do they offer more of a challenge? 👎 or 👍?

2: I play on PS4 and have an interest in joining a local league that supports the PC version only. I have a small laptop that I could run on but would have to link it to a TV via HDMI for better screen. Any known issues with this? Not having tried before should the link from Laptop to TV be fast enough? I now that when using the HDMI to watch a movie for example the Laptop may be slightly ahead of the TV and that kind of delay could be fatal in a racing SIM. - Perhaps this is a daft question that is best answered by trying it myself first on another game - yeh - so ignore me - but give your opinion anyway if you have experience of it please because I don't currently have any games on the laptop to compare in speed and graphics with a racing sim.:rolleyes:

Yes, I know some of this will have been covered in other forums so apologies for repeat queries. I have had a look and found some answers here already. For example, I use a G29 and found comments from August 2018 saying it was not great on consoles. Others a comparisons with PC cars etc that are not relevant to me and there's plenty of general discussion. I even found a thread dedicated to AI...last post was 2016 so no idea if updates have made all of that discussion redundant. If my two questions are covered somewhere else just give us the link and I'll be on my way.:gtpflag:

Last edited:
@6BK i cannot comment on AC on PS4 as I only know very well the PC version.
I just wanted to mention that your lap top will most probably not be able to run AC at any level of satisfaction. Be careful before buying the pC version.

6BK
Similar question here and not wanting to create a second thread I'm going to jump in here.

I race GT Sport, enjoy online but lately the Sport Mode races are a bit rubbish and have not enticed me online. I've completed all the off line challenges (at least the ones that interest me) I'm looking at giving Assetto Corsa a go. With it being an older game the "Ultimate" version is reasonable value now with all DLCs and Updates.

A couple of queries:

1: How does the AI in AC rate compared to GT Sport? GT Sport AI like to slam on the brakes randomly, once passed they generally drop off your tail and don't challenge you unless you make a mess of it and a half decent driver can start at the back of a Gr3 race and get to the front in a few laps. How to AC's AI rate? Are they more realistic in their behaviour? Do they offer more of a challenge? 👎 or 👍?

2: I play on PS4 and have an interest in joining a local league that supports the PC version only. I have a small laptop that I could run on but would have to link it to a TV via HDMI for better screen. Any known issues with this? Not having tried before should the link from Laptop to TV be fast enough? I now that when using the HDMI to watch a movie for example the Laptop may be slightly ahead of the TV and that kind of delay could be fatal in a racing SIM. - Perhaps this is a daft question that is best answered by trying it myself first on another game - yeh - so ignore me - but give your opinion anyway if you have experience of it please because I don't currently have any games on the laptop to compare in speed and graphics with a racing sim.:rolleyes:

Yes, I know some of this will have been covered in other forums so apologies for repeat queries. I have had a look and found some answers here already. For example, I use a G29 and found comments from August 2018 saying it was not great on consoles. Others a comparisons with PC cars etc that are not relevant to me and there's plenty of general discussion. I even found a thread dedicated to AI...last post was 2016 so no idea if updates have made all of that discussion redundant. If my two questions are covered somewhere else just give us the link and I'll be on my way.:gtpflag:

I don't race against AI in AC so I can't really comment. There is a difficulty slider though and from what I've read at max difficulty it's pretty difficult to beat, certainly harder than GT AI. Of course AI competence varies from track to track (especially if you use mods), but on the vanilla content they should be reasonable. There's an update close to the end of the game's life that made the AI more aware of the player's actions too. It's not earth shattering but it's better than GT's zombie AI definitely.

I use a mid tier gaming laptop from 2014 and I run AC just fine. As long as you don't expect to run graphics settings at High/Epic you'll be ok. Races with lots of AI cars might drop your FPS but I don't do a lot of races like I mention so this is not a problem for me. It just depends what you want out of the game. I would not recommend hooking up your laptop to TV because input lag is killer. Always use monitor for PC gaming.

I don't race against AI in AC so I can't really comment. There is a difficulty slider though and from what I've read at max difficulty it's pretty difficult to beat, certainly harder than GT AI. Of course AI competence varies from track to track (especially if you use mods), but on the vanilla content they should be reasonable. There's an update close to the end of the game's life that made the AI more aware of the player's actions too. It's not earth shattering but it's better than GT's zombie AI definitely.

I use a mid tier gaming laptop from 2014 and I run AC just fine. As long as you don't expect to run graphics settings at High/Epic you'll be ok. Races with lots of AI cars might drop your FPS but I don't do a lot of races like I mention so this is not a problem for me. It just depends what you want out of the game. I would not recommend hooking up your laptop to TV because input lag is killer. Always use monitor for PC gaming.

I appreciate the info. All helpful. You said what I was thinking about Laptop to TV lag and that is deal breaker for me because I don't have a PC and the laptop is a small monitor so I'm into buying a monitor too (perhaps 2nd hand on ebay or a local used advert site) just to play.

@Cote Dazur: I'll check specs for compatability and keep that in mind. Cheers!

6BK
1: How does the AI in AC rate compared to GT Sport?
Well, In GTS i would call them AD, D for dumbness, In AC i would call them AI. The diference is night and day. Th AI in AC use the same physics as the player, in GT the are rubber banded. They are not perfect in AC at all times but they do race door to door, i have had some great races with them. Have not had a singe race on GTS with AI where i havent thought really PD, this is your AI still!

6BK
I appreciate the info. All helpful. You said what I was thinking about Laptop to TV lag and that is deal breaker for me because I don't have a PC and the laptop is a small monitor so I'm into buying a monitor too (perhaps 2nd hand on ebay or a local used advert site) just to play.

@Cote Dazur: I'll check specs for compatability and keep that in mind. Cheers!

How small is your monitor? Mine is only 15 inch and I placed it directly behind my wheel when I play (~30cm from screen to my eye). It's not as good as playing on TV obviously but it works well enough. If you have spare money laying around though, by all means get a bigger monitor 👍

Back