This could make GT amazing + Please bring back the old tracks

• Thread starter CrazyBear
  • 13 comments
United States
United States
I really liked some of the tracks in GT2, but I so miss the old tracks from GT1 and for that case the old music. If I could get those tracks and Laguna Seca, I would be the happiest GT Bear on the planet. If I could get at least 5 people to agree, that would be pretty cool.

On a separate note, please, next Gran Turismo, bring back parts buying and give us more options for car parts and please let us customize the car bodies wings and hoods. I used to think it was awesome to have the Used car lots and having a special car show up randomly. Not only that, but the fact that some of the cars we could actually turn them into race cars with race mods. What about bringing that back and have some of the cars be able to fit a wide body kit on them.

One more thing. The only that I don't like about this game is that it never "feels" like we are actually moving as fast as the speedometer is telling us we are. I know this is supposed to be a simulator-like game, but the overwhelming tire squealing sound over the engine sounds, the flat engine sounds and the fact that I always feel like I am going slower than I actually am is something I think could be worked on. Constructive criticism guys, I love the games, just want them to be as good as they can be.

For your first point, basically everyone here agrees with you that GTS needs more tracks. They might argue that Spa comes first before Laguna Seca though :P

I also liked that aspect of GT in previous iterations, but Kaz said before the release that "tuning is irrelevant in today's community", in the sense that the casual players who play GT now don't know what an improved air filter does, and why it gives more hp as well as changing the powerband. That's why the upgrades are simplistic as you see right now. And this is not a full GT game (or at least the community thinks it isn't, including me), so I'm not surprised that they don't have custom wings, bonnets, GT Auto, etc. What GTS does have, however, are race cars turned street cars. They're pretty good, try those out :)
Edit on this part: Oh okay I just read that you said "On the next GT". Yeah fully agree on that :D

Your last point is purely subjective, but to just to pitch in my opinion, GTS' sense of speed is actually the best I've seen so far. I've tried PC1 and what you just described is exactly what I felt playing that game. Not sure about PC2 now, but yeah so far GTS is the best for me in terms of sense of speed

the only cars that "feel slow" to me are the VGT cars, but they all have made-up horsepower and grip levels that just make them silly distractions, imo. Pretty much any roadcar or race car has a pretty good sense of speed if you use any view other than chase cam.

Perceived speed is generally a function of field of view. How far you sit from the screen has a major impact on this, because PD give you ZERO options for adjusting. PC2 is by far the better game for being able to adjust this, from FoV to seat hight, seat forwards/backwards, and each view is independently adjustable. Then you have settings you can adjust for car and track 'movement', speed sensitive FoV, speed sensitive helmet 'look to apex' and body movement (brake and you get thrown forward a bit, accelerate and you get pushed back into the seat a bit).

PC2's options are pretty darn near comprehensive. PD options don't exist. If you failed to get a sense of speed in PC2, you never explored the options, or adjusted your FoV based on how far away your screen was.

I was talking about sense of speed compared to real life. I've been in a car going over 160mph before and it felt crazy compared to how the game feels. Also the looks are different compared to real life as well. The game makes it feel slower than it should, but I guess you are right, it is subjective. Somebody who has rarely gone over 80mph in their life will see the game different than say John Force who has moved over 340mph for much of his career. I think they can keep the same physics and change the way the camera moves and scales to the car compared to how fast it moving on the track.
On a further note the cars don't vibrate enough and the tracks feel sort of too smooth some times, but again, that is my opinion.

Your eyes are only a tiny part of your impression of speed IRL. But that's all you have in a game.

I really think you need to give PC2 a try if you want something more visceral and totally out of control! GTS is a kids' arcade game in comparison. You want your eyes to blur as you go really fast? PC2 can do it for you. You want track surfaces that can bounce your car around and make vision difficult? PC2. You want engine sounds that, if turned up to actual levels, make your ears bleed? PC2.

PD will never improve any of these things. It is made for kids.

Yer right about the Tyre squeal, but thats existed since the 1st Gt game, at least you finally go into options and turn it down to nothing.

GTS is showing a bit of the widebody request. The Gr.3 road cars, may be what we'll see happen in the next GT. I know PDI have 20 years experience, but they're definitely gathering data from how we all customise and use "our" cars in GTS. Look at the customised AI cars in GT League.

This game has only been out 6 months. GT6 online was just shut down after 5 years. The next GT is in development. There's more to come this year alone. Good things are coming.

Your eyes are only a tiny part of your impression of speed IRL. But that's all you have in a game.

I really think you need to give PC2 a try if you want something more visceral and totally out of control! GTS is a kids' arcade game in comparison. You want your eyes to blur as you go really fast? PC2 can do it for you. You want track surfaces that can bounce your car around and make vision difficult? PC2. You want engine sounds that, if turned up to actual levels, make your ears bleed? PC2.

PD will never improve any of these things. It is made for kids.

Saying the game is for kids is kind of a bad attitude imo. There are a lot of adults who find the game fun and challenging. I'm glad you like Project Cars 2, it does look and sound amazing. I know that PC2 is another option, but I have been playing GT since its inception and I just want them to get better where they can. I didn't come here to find out if there was another game better than GT or to bash it. Like I said before, I was just trying to share some personal constructive opinions. Hopefully somebody reads it and thinks it is a good idea.

I was talking about sense of speed compared to real life. I've been in a car going over 160mph before and it felt crazy compared to how the game feels. Also the looks are different compared to real life as well. The game makes it feel slower than it should, but I guess you are right, it is subjective. Somebody who has rarely gone over 80mph in their life will see the game different than say John Force who has moved over 340mph for much of his career. I think they can keep the same physics and change the way the camera moves and scales to the car compared to how fast it moving on the track.
On a further note the cars don't vibrate enough and the tracks feel sort of too smooth some times, but again, that is my opinion.
Other than switching to bumper cam, I think you're spot on with the smoothness of the track leading to decreased speed perception. Try out Nordschleife where you cant help but feel the bumps. On that track you KNOW when your going 160mph :nervous:

Lets not forget though, that there is a major difference between 160mph on the couch and 160mph in a car with your life in your hands

Last edited:
I see a lot of stuff on other sites and in other places with people complaining about how GTS sucks because it's not a "real", full-fat Gran Turismo game. The thing is, PD never claimed this was the case. I like the game, I have fun with it, and I think the concept of Sport mode is good, although as I'm sure most can agree, it needs a lot of tweaking to be something that isn't unfair with penalties. We can nitpick over tire squealing sounds and sense of speed and everything else, but these are personal preferences for most people I think.

Having said that, I'm on board with bringing back some of the old stuff in a good way, i.e. some of the older tracks (Trial Mountain and High Speed Ring, anyone?), as well as the music (but updated so it doesn't sound like 90's midi tracks, although I love them still). I think the streamlined customization and tweaking of cars is good for some but I do hope they bring back the full customization in the next full GT game, cosmetic and performance both. That is a +1 I have to give to Forza...I always thought the ability to do something like drop a V12 engine into a 1950 Mercury was pretty neat.

Back