this game is so inconsistent

• Thread starter jasonb1985
  • 28 comments
jasonb1985
I just tried a different tune on my GT3RS. I took it out on Road America with no AI for 2 laps just to test it out. It was ok, not to terrible. I then decided to try it once more but against the AI. So i did 2 laps on Road America with 4 AI opponents and the car behaved totally different. It began bouncing and throwing me off the track at speeds much lower than when i did my test laps. I made no changes to the tuning or anything in between. I just went from one race right to the next and the car handled totally different.

this game is the biggest piece of crap ever. they must have done no testing at all before this game released.

it sucks that PS3 as of right now has no real good racing games. GT5P is nice, but very short. Dirt 2 is very nice as well, but that's all we have. it's pretty lame.

PD give us GT5!!!!!

I just tried a different tune on my GT3RS. I took it out on Road America with no AI for 2 laps just to test it out. It was ok, not to terrible. I then decided to try it once more but against the AI. So i did 2 laps on Road America with 4 AI opponents and the car behaved totally different. It began bouncing and throwing me off the track at speeds much lower than when i did my test laps. I made no changes to the tuning or anything in between. I just went from one race right to the next and the car handled totally different.

this game is the biggest piece of crap ever. they must have done no testing at all before this game released.

it sucks that PS3 as of right now has no real good racing games. GT5P is nice, but very short. Dirt 2 is very nice as well, but that's all we have. it's pretty lame.

PD give us GT5!!!!!

I wouldn't call it the biggest piece of crap ever, no, there were games that suffered from bugs and glitches far more severe than anything that's been noticed in Shift as of yet. As for the PS3 not having any good racing games, there are plenty: You've got Formula 1 Championship Edition (if you can find it, and if you can let me know!), Ferrari Challenge (a very, very good sim by System 3) Supercar Challenge (Same developer) and I might be wrong, but I think Race On might even be available for the PS3.

Others I can't remember at the moment, because, well look at the time...my mind is gone for the day. :lol:

I wouldn't call it the biggest piece of crap ever, no, there were games that suffered from bugs and glitches far more severe than anything that's been noticed in Shift as of yet. As for the PS3 not having any good racing games, there are plenty: You've got Formula 1 Championship Edition (if you can find it, and if you can let me know!), Ferrari Challenge (a very, very good sim by System 3) Supercar Challenge (Same developer) and I might be wrong, but I think Race On might even be available for the PS3.

Others I can't remember at the moment, because, well look at the time...my mind is gone for the day. :lol:

haven't played F1CE yet. i'm on the lookout for a copy. might have to Ebay it.

i tried the SCC beta and the physics felt weird and i read that it has a lot of bugs as well. i also read that the track layouts are not very accurate.

I saw a few copies of Formula 1 at my local Fry's store. I think it was $49.99. Is this game really hard to find?

PD give us GT5!!!!!

I was suspicious of how different the car handles when I'm on the track alone and with AI. Tonight I did a few tests with the PS3 version (and G25 wheel). Yes, they do feel different and I'm quite sure it's intentional perhaps due to the fact that both the physics engine and the AI share the same thread- so in order to accomodate the AIs, the physics takes a bit of a hit.

Road America is quite bumpy especially in in the corners. With the Porsche GT3 RS, I find it's best to leave everything at the default setting (the suspension is set quite soft) for almost any of the tracks in SHIFT. I don't know if you're playing it with a wheel- even then, I wouldn't recommend any other wheel but the G25 and still it's one of those game where you either able to tolerate all the imperfections or not. But for me, it's the best thing since sliced bread.

It's not the GT3 RS but it's racing version the RSR, around Road America

[YOUTUBEHD]-uMcUofPPrg[/YOUTUBEHD]

haven't played F1CE yet. i'm on the lookout for a copy. might have to Ebay it.

i tried the SCC beta and the physics felt weird and i read that it has a lot of bugs as well. i also read that the track layouts are not very accurate.

As a beta tester for SCC, I can tell you that there were big improvements made in the FFB and handling between the final beta development release and the actual game release candidate that you can buy on the shelves. It has a very similar 'feel' but it's been fine tuned. It's 'different' in feel from Prologue but I think it's pretty realistic and next to GT5P, it has probably the most realistic physics of any racing game currently available for the PS3. It does have some bugs but most of them are minor. The big problem is it's not available for sale in North America so you'd have to order it from a game shop overseas. You can pick up Ferrari Challenge from Amazon brand new for $13 + shipping. It's even cheaper than buying it used.

I saw a few copies of Formula 1 at my local Fry's store. I think it was $49.99. Is this game really hard to find?

It really is. It's still retailing for $60 in some places, but the $49.99 you mention is the average I've come across.

I have to go on an adventure now.

Had to venture for Shinobi on the PS2, Capcom vs. SNK 2, which cost me a pretty penny...and now F1: CE.

PD give us GT5!!!!!

I complained about this very problem on the EA forum and got no responses whatsoever. It was like my grip levels were cut in half when racing the AI vs. my practice laps alone on quick race.

I wondered at the time if it was a bug or some type of "game thing" to make the Career more challenging.

Whatever it is, I've put off doing any more of the Career events until EA brings out a patch for their software. I enjoy running the Teir 2 & 3 cars on various tracks in quick race and messing around with the tuning.

In my opinion nothing "feels" more like driving a real car than Ferrari Challenge. Using a G25 wheel & racing seat you can feel the weight transfer through the wheel when you let off the accelerator, or balance on the edge of your tires grip through a turn etc. If someone were to combine NFS Shift's terrific visual feel & gameplay with FC's force-feedback effects and physics then they would have the perfect racing game.
Of course that's just my opinion....:)

In my opinion nothing "feels" more like driving a real car than Ferrari Challenge. Using a G25 wheel & racing seat you can feel the weight transfer through the wheel when you let off the accelerator, or balance on the edge of your tires grip through a turn etc. If someone were to combine NFS Shift's terrific visual feel & gameplay with FC's force-feedback effects and physics then they would have the perfect racing game.
Of course that's just my opinion....

Welcome to GTPlanet Manny. Where were you back in the day, when I was trying to persuade the GT zealots that FC was a worthwhile game? ;)

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=112837

Yeah, I totally agree: FC/SCC's FFB & physics with Shift's visuals & sound would be perfect. 👍

Welcome to GTPlanet Manny. Where were you back in the day, when I was trying to persuade the GT zealots that FC was a worthwhile game? ;)

I believe I was in the second semester of "Getting Your PS3 to Connect through a Wireless Router". A self-taught class which I apparently S*CKED at since I still can't reliably connect. :dunce: :lol:

I think that's why I'm not better at Shift. I can't feel through the steering wheel how close to the limits of adhesion I am in a turn. God knows I can't tell by the tire squeal... they howl constantly! :grumpy:

Yet ever the optimist, I keep trying! Actually I think if the car is tuned right in Shift you can judge pretty closely, but it's a long way from FC.

Of course that's just my opinion....:)

I was coincidentally thinking about this yesterday... The ULTIMATE console sim IMO would be... Physics and FFB from FC/SCC, Driver experience from Shift coupled with the graphic refinement we see in the GT series... :drool::drool: :D Now who wants to start a game development company with me and make this happen... ??? :lol:

I was coincidentally thinking about this yesterday... The ULTIMATE console sim IMO would be... Physics and FFB from FC/SCC, Driver experience from Shift coupled with the graphic refinement we see in the GT series... Now who wants to start a game development company with me and make this happen... ???

Maybe this game already exists, it's called ...

Forza Motorsport 3? :indiff:

I went back to GT5P briefly last night, & I have to say, that after Shift, GT5P seems positively wooden in its cockpit visuals & sound. Not only the immersion of the cockpit view, but even the tracks themselves look more convincing in Shift (although GT5P's replay graphics are far superior). On the other hand, the physics in Shift are just so annoying - at times, in some cars, on some tracks, in some sections, you will have a convincingly "sim" feeling moment, then you move on & the physics feel like crap. :(

Maybe this game already exists, it's called ...

Forza Motorsport 3? :indiff:

Forza? Pfft! You need to get yourself a Wii. Look what's coming. And hey, with the F1 in season testing ban in effect, it looks like Anthony Davidson uses it to keep his skills polished.

;) Makes you realize how good we have it in PS3 land.

I went back to GT5P briefly last night, & I have to say, that after Shift, GT5P seems positively wooden in its cockpit visuals & sound. Not only the immersion of the cockpit view, but even the tracks themselves look more convincing in Shift (although GT5P's replay graphics are far superior). On the other hand, the physics in Shift are just so annoying - at times, in some cars, on some tracks, in some sections, you will have a convincingly "sim" feeling moment, then you move on & the physics feel like crap. :(

It's sacrilege to say it I know considering the forum I'm on but... I always thought GT5P was very dull in its' stand-alone gameplay and driver experience. (At least after you got over its' beautiful appearance.) I haven't played it for months.

And you're absolutely right Biggles, if the basis of a great driving game wasn't overshadowed by the obvious flaws in Shift who would bother to take the time pis* and moan about it as much as we do?

My level of frustration with Shift is in direct proportion to how much I would love this game if it worked the way it's supposed to. :banghead:

:cheers:

I find Shift to be like an Alfa Romeo. 90% of the time is spent just trying to get it to work properly, but 10% when it does is just magical. Jumped in a SLR around the ring last night, and I couldn't get the grin off my face, it was just great. These are the reasons I'm still playing Shift instead of GT5P for the umpteenth time.

I think what makes me the most optimistic is that the flaws with the game are mostly not fundamental. At heart, it *could* be an amazing racing game, it's just crippled by bugs and poor design choices. I just hope that Shift is successful enough that they get a chance to make a Shift 2 that could bring out that potential. While it's possible that they could patch/DLC the current Shift up to that level, I think it's more likely they'll just fix the current bugs and leave it at that.

I find Shift to be like an Alfa Romeo. 90% of the time is spent just trying to get it to work properly, but 10% when it does is just magical. Jumped in a SLR around the ring last night, and I couldn't get the grin off my face, it was just great. These are the reasons I'm still playing Shift instead of GT5P for the umpteenth time.

I think what makes me the most optimistic is that the flaws with the game are mostly not fundamental. At heart, it *could* be an amazing racing game, it's just crippled by bugs and poor design choices. I just hope that Shift is successful enough that they get a chance to make a Shift 2 that could bring out that potential. While it's possible that they could patch/DLC the current Shift up to that level, I think it's more likely they'll just fix the current bugs and leave it at that.

I hope so too. The sense of speed is amazing in this game. I played GT5:P and ended up taking turns way to fast because the game feels slower. I play Shift every once in awhile just for the experience.

My level of frustration with Shift is in direct proportion to how much I would love this game if it worked the way it's supposed to.

I agree, but I question how, in fact, "it's supposed to be". I would wish it to be more of a sim, & I have the feeling that that potential exists, but I'm not sure that was the intention of EA in putting this game together. Unfortunately, what Shift has done is made GT5P seem too "dull", & FC/SCC too visually weak, without offering us a really viable alternative. :irked:

PD give us GT5!!!!!
It's because they screwed up the autosaving.
If you've ever even bought a suspension upgrade, or tweaked the stock one, it will periodically change back and forth between the different settings.
Best advice I can give at this moment is to reset back to default, go manually save, and then set the tuning the way you like it best, and manually save again. This process will have to be repeated everytime you tune it differently. Neat, huh?

i'm just done playing it until they fix it. if they never fix it then it will get traded in when GT5 comes out.

i'm not going to waste my time trying to play a broken game.

I hope so too. The sense of speed is amazing in this game. I played GT5:P and ended up taking turns way to fast because the game feels slower. I play Shift every once in awhile just for the experience.
Sense of speed has always been NFS's strongest playing point. Always delivers in that aspect :)

Imari

That's the problem I'm seeing with NFS series though.
What I've realized is, these problems are always there, the difference with this game is it just doesn't work right. If it did, it'd be the best NFS to date.
By far. And that's despite annoyances like the livery editor, being harder to use than ever, not be able to change colors of most manufacture decals, not being able to make decals over certain sizes, not being able to search through a proper alphabetical list of the decals, not being able to select car color from dealer, therefore not being able to select any factory colors.
Did I mention I hate the livery editor? When underground came out, I could deck cars out, and make them look exactly like something I'd see racing around LeMans. With this editor though, I just paint 'em and leave 'em. Waaaaayy to much work required, especially since I might have to reset the tuning, sell the car, and buy another one if it so happens to go haywire :(

Tier 3 Mixed Track Series in Career mode. Driving the 911 GT3 RS which is using the brilliant tune conjured up by our friend Terronium. This thing is solid as a stone everywhere I've run it.

Anyway as soon as the race starts this thing is hopping up and down like it's gotta pi**! It's maddening! :mad: It was impossible to finish the race!

And again this is the same track where minutes before I had done 6 laps (alone) in Quick Race with no problems at all.

I guess the more cars there are in a race the more pronouned the various glitches become. It really has become close to impossible to continue in the career mode.

This is why, since they apparently know what's wrong, I wish they would fix this physics problem with a small patch NOW and then deal with some of the irritating but less catestrophic issues later. :grumpy:

Sigh... sorry for the rant...

Tier 3 Mixed Track Series in Career mode. Driving the 911 GT3 RS which is using the brilliant tune conjured up by our friend Terronium. This thing is solid as a stone everywhere I've run it.

Anyway as soon as the race starts this thing is hopping up and down like it's gotta pi**! It's maddening! :mad: It was impossible to finish the race!

And again this is the same track where minutes before I had done 6 laps (alone) in Quick Race with no problems at all.

I guess the more cars there are in a race the more pronouned the various glitches become. It really has become close to impossible to continue in the career mode.

This is why, since they apparently know what's wrong, I wish they would fix this physics problem with a small patch NOW and then deal with some of the irritating but less catestrophic issues later. :grumpy:

Sigh... sorry for the rant...

exactly what i am experiencing. hopefully this is part of the patch they are working on.

Hmm ... I really haven't experienced undue bouncing. Probably because I'm only playing in Quick Race - I only play Career as a way to unlock cars.

Hmm ... I really haven't experienced undue bouncing. Probably because I'm only playing in Quick Race - I only play Career as a way to unlock cars.

I just tried a Quick Race with 10 opponents in the 911 GT3 RS at the Tokyo track and it was the same as in Career mode! Felt like driving in an earthquake!

I swear it's like the game is demanding too much from the processor and the result is inconsistent physics. And it seems that the graphics intensive city tracks like London and Tokyo are the ones where the problem is the worst. 💡

Latest Posts

Back