This game's AI...

Baka_Marimo

I am thou, thou art I.
Premium
Turkey
Turkey
I recently had races against the AI to kill some time because my hotel's internet was rubbish. At the end of one of these races, this occured: We're on the final lap and I'm 30 seconds behind the leader. One would think that victory is impossible at this point, right? Just have a look at the position ranking on the left and see how things play out.

The leader is out of fuel and enters the pit lane to fill up. While he's there, the race timer runs out which means the current lap is now the final one. And because he takes so awfully long to exit the pit lane, I manage to cross the finish line first to win the race :lol:

The AI would've won easily by exiting the pit lane earlier. (Unfortunately they always fill up to the brim regardless of the circumstances).
He could've also lapped more slowly as he had enough of a lead to wait for the timer to run out, but then I guess the AI is not programmed to drive strategically.

The offline component really seems to suffer from all the focussing on online play.

I recently had races against the AI to kill some time because my hotel's internet was rubbish. At the end of one of these races, this occured: We're on the final lap and I'm 30 seconds behind the leader. One would think that victory is impossible at this point, right? Just have a look at the position ranking on the left and see how things play out.

The leader is out of fuel and enters the pit lane to fill up. While he's there, the race timer runs out which means the current lap is now the final one. And because he takes so awfully long to exit the pit lane, I manage to cross the finish line first to win the race :lol:

The AI would've won easily by exiting the pit lane earlier. (Unfortunately they always fill up to the brim regardless of the circumstances).
He could've also lapped more slowly as he had enough of a lead to wait for the timer to run out, but then I guess the AI is not programmed to drive strategically.

The offline component really seems to suffer from all the focussing on online play.

What do you mean? That's exactly what would happen in real life too. :lol: But seriously. The AI in this game is (and always has been) a joke. The GT League poses absolutely zero challenge. The cars are basically just moving obstacles. That's why I don't play GT League at all. They're all just "How quickly can you get from last to first" challenges. Utter rubbish.

I missed a few GT games between 4 and 6, but hasn't the AI always been awful?

I guess you could say that the AI has somewhat improved over time, in regards to how it reacts to the presence of other vehicles on the track, but there's still certain elements crucial to motorracing which it's completely oblivious about. They are programmed to drive round and round the track, fill up with fuel every now and then and maybe avoid an obstacle along the way, but they have no awareness of when a race is actually going to end and can therefore take no action to ensure the best possible outcome for themselves.

Last edited:
Maybe not relevant but I quite like racing against the AI in the custom mode , I do always set the AI to pro level and give them a higher N rating usually 3 to 4 group higher than the car I'm using , with tyre wear and fuel set to 5X and endurance racing rather than laps .
I don't always win but main aim is clean racing.
A lot less stressful than being punted by morons on the daily races.

The AI fuel and tyre strategy in the endurance races is absolutely abysmal. Every endurance race I just go with soft tyres, a rich fuel mix, drive flat out and end up lapping every car and somehow still end up pitting the same amount of times as the AI drivers despite the fact I'm lapping about 4-5 seconds a lap quicker, burning through fuel at an alarming rate and shredding tyres every 5 laps.

Maybe not relevant but I quite like racing against the AI in the custom mode , I do always set the AI to pro level and give them a higher N rating usually 3 to 4 group higher than the car I'm using , with tyre wear and fuel set to 5X and endurance racing rather than laps .

Me too mate 👍 Just had a 3 hour endurance race on Tokyo Expressway's East Inner Loop. I was in the '89 MX-5 with stock specs against N200 opponents on professional level. Fuel and tyre wear x10. The extremely long straight meant a huge disadvantage for me because of my low power but because of my lower fuel consumption I had to pit way less and finally took the lead in lap 50 or so. Race ended with 64 laps driven. 463,000 Cr. as a byproduct isn't so bad either.

The Arcade Single Player(SP) AI are definitely different to the Custom Race and GT League AI.

It appears the SP AI, have more spatial awareness and not as nervous on the limit, compared to the AI programs. Much calmer I'd say.

Riding their rear bumper, doesn't make them jump out the way. The car just stays there and forces me to make a clean pass.
AI still defend the inside line, but it's more subtle. Not a hard block as in the other game modes.

N-classes are still a pushover, but Gr.3 - up, depending on circuit, are a little better the higher the tier.

This is what happens when people complain that they don't get treated as a winner for merely participating.

It’s not rewarding though, 20 500K endurance race wins before I can even afford a unicorn, i’d rather have the difficultly cranked to the max and win the best AI car within that race.

Old posts from 2018 & 2019

So, thought I'd do some Gr. 3 Le Mans Arcade Single races, to prepare me for today's Le Mans Daily race. Lo and behold, yep, scripted on lap 3.

4765403325434691584_0.jpg

4764840367293988864_0.jpg

It's a shame. I was having an awesome battle with it from the Start/Finish line to this point. The Walkenhorst M6 kept me honest and made sure I didn't back off, from here to the finish.

I think it's programmed to be fast either way. I've found AI to scripted to fail at certain pasrt of tracks. I posted where the lead M6 spins into a wall at la Sarthe, at the exact point and moment I I catch up to it, no matter which car I choose to race with.

Are PD ever using "real" AI? Maybe not, but if programmed to be as fast as an Alien(let's say like West World AI) , the Alien may still have a hard time about it.

Custom Race or GT League?

My experience from my videos(in this thread) of Custom Races, show AI much Improved on newer courses. GT League is different, in my experience, the AI are scripted and older tracks from the debut of the game have the same AI programming. Bathurst is always the track I check first. Gr.3 and slower, the AI crawl from The Cutting through Sulman Park.

It’s not rewarding though, 20 500K endurance race wins before I can even afford a unicorn, i’d rather have the difficultly cranked to the max and win the best AI car within that race.

Like I said... that's what happens when you have people expecting first prize in a game for participating, in some games all you need to do is finish 3rd or higher to "win".

I took a endurance win in the Porsche cup with a min to spare, but ran out of fuel on the last half of the final lap, it gave me 315K instead of 420K.

PD need AI like this.

Two sliders. One for difficulty and one for aggressiveness.
The AI have spatial awareness, will back off or capitalise on mistakes made by the User, will set up clean passes.

It would certainly he'll many players to understand it's not always about the win. Learning race craft in a pack at the back and understanding how to keep pace, learning when to back off and reset, are basics in racing. Good AI, can help many players realise this.

At least PD's AI do not attempting reckless moves. If in GT - AI is an obstacle to a player, in PC a player is an obstacle to AI.
Oh, both games do attempt reckless moves. Try some of the Professional Mid-engine, Ferrari and Lamborghini races. Plus, the Porsche Cup Endurance. They'll punt you off.

The biggest issue i have is when i do a multiple hour endurance race in the arcade mode section (on Professional difficulty), is that when you start to get close to the front of the pack the AI starts to treat you as if they have blue flags, they put their blinkers on and move aside and go a small bit slower so i can easily pass them while i actually want to have a bit of a battle with them for the position

Oh, both games do attempt reckless moves. Try some of the Professional Mid-engine, Ferrari and Lamborghini races. Plus, the Porsche Cup Endurance. They'll punt you off.

Really, nothing to compare. Recently raced on Nürburgring, and at corner from GP to Nordschleife AI have openned inside and I have took an advantage. What happened next, it turned into me, and another behind car dive bombed me to the air.

I do find the AI in custom mode to be better and act differently than in the GT League. GT League almost feels like the cars are on a track and you just have to drive around them.

I find in custom mode they can be a little more aggressive and unpredictable at times.

Although the A.I. in GT has always been pretty poor, I like some of the ideas PD has had with it. Them getting aggravated under pressure and being more likely to make mistakes that was introduced in GT5 is pretty cool and not something I've seen in other racing games (are there other racing games that do that?).

What's backwards is that when an A.I. car pulls ahead or falls behind, they slow way down and allow the player and aggravated A.I. to catch up or pull ahead even further. Their pace shouldn't change when they're alone-they should be driving as fast as they can at all times-but their consistency should increase.

I hate seeing that one car in the back that's only slightly slower than the rest basically give up because it fell too far behind. I know they're just A.I. but I feel bad when that happens :,(

Oh and B.O.P.: I don't know why we don't get the option to have it on or off in Arcade Mode. It's definitely not petfect but better than having an untouched X-BOW in the same race as an untouched Ford Focus ST. Seriously, the X-BOW wins 10-15 minute races almost a minute and a half ahead of the other N300 cars.

Although the A.I. in GT has always been pretty poor, I like some of the ideas PD has had with it. Them getting aggravated under pressure and being more likely to make mistakes that was introduced in GT5 is pretty cool and not something I've seen in other racing games (are there other racing games that do that?).

What's backwards is that when an A.I. car pulls ahead or falls behind, they slow way down and allow the player and aggravated A.I. to catch up or pull ahead even further. Their pace shouldn't change when they're alone-they should be driving as fast as they can at all times-but their consistency should increase.

I hate seeing that one car in the back that's only slightly slower than the rest basically give up because it fell too far behind. I know they're just A.I. but I feel bad when that happens :,(

Oh and B.O.P.: I don't know why we don't get the option to have it on or off in Arcade Mode. It's definitely not petfect but better than having an untouched X-BOW in the same race as an untouched Ford Focus ST. Seriously, the X-BOW wins 10-15 minute races almost a minute and a half ahead of the other N300 cars.
R: Racing actually had a system where if you tailgated other drivers they'd be intimidated and made mistakes. It was quite useful. I find the AI in GT League far too easy even in the later events and they drive really slowly - this is both an advantage and a disadvantage, as while they're easy to overtake, in places where I know I don't need to brake (like the second half of the death chicane on Dragon Trail), they'll brake anyway, sending me into a wall and putting me 10 seconds behind. It's very annoying.

The AI in GT Sport is absolutely awful. Gran Turismo has always had really poor AI, and as other series have progressed in this area, we as GT players have been left 15 years behind. Some of the rubber banding is worthy of a karting game.

The only thing I will say in the defence of PD is that GT Sport was never intended to have a proper career and therefore, bar a few Special Events, we wouldn't compete against AI. As a result PD were not developing a new AI system you can assume.

GT Next must have a completely rebuilt AI model as it will look like amateur hour given the competition are already leagues ahead.

Back