THIS is the Issue with Sport Mode and Matchmaking

United States
United States
AMS_Redline
First of all, if the matchmaking worked, I should not be lapping anybody, or have as big of a lead that I did. I passed this lapped car cleanly off the final turn, just to be punted off track multiple times, resulting in a big loss in my total lead. After the race I messaged this lapped driver asking what he was doing, just to be treated with some strong words I'm sure I probably can't put on this website.

Any suggestions on how to fix "issues" like these kinds of racers? I have a few ideas, but I would like to see what you guys think of it first.

Note: I also had the "default setup glitch" happen to me during this race, and I still pulled a 13 second lead before the incident. Matchmaking has been poor from my experience so far.

EDIT: My Sportsmanship Rating is S

Last edited:
The fix is to implement a disqualification system, that reacts to the severity of the intended action. He intentionally hit you from behind and it should't be hard for the system to calculate that. There's no reason to reward such a behaviour with continuous race time.

Haha, I started to give him the benefit of the doubt as just being a bad driver then hit did it again. :) It sucks and maybe they will make changes but really I think players like him will get weeded out. What was his SR, do you know?

The fix is to implement a disqualification system, that reacts to the severity of the intended action. He intentionally hit you from behind and it should't be hard for the system to calculate that. There's no reason to reward such a behaviour with continuous race time.

The problem with this is that there is nothing to stop uber-idiots from brake checking people and causing them to get penalties and/or DQ...

Idiots and trolls will always find a way to exploit a computer controlled system. The only way to make it 100% fair is to have real people stewarding the races, but obviously there's far too many people playing for that to work.

Another option, I suppose, would be for the game to eliminate contact between lapped vehicles. I.e. if you're +1 lap then they can't contact you.

That said, that is a part of racing as some drivers can work through back markers quicker than others which is a skill in racing...

That person would be banned from playing Sport Mode, if I was in charge of the online functions.

Isn't there a Code of Conduct clause now??? I remember reading on my screen that "Denial of Service" could happen if I didn't conduct myself properly... was that just for the FIA events, or overall as I understood it?

Cheers

The problem is, PD have 3 separate servers for each region ( Asia / Europe / America )

So when XX players signed up, the sorting orders will be

1. by DR rank ( A / B / C / D / E )
2. followed by SR Rank
3. And for each split, there will be another sorting order which is by Qualy time

If PD decided to combined all 3 regions, then the match making will be more accurate since there are larger pool of player will signed up.

For DR, there's hidden number that PD don't show on the screen. That DR calculation will be used for ranking and splits.

The problem is, PD have 3 separate servers for each region ( Asia / Europe / America )

So when XX players signed up, the sorting orders will be

1. by DR rank ( A / B / C / D / E )
2. followed by SR Rank
3. And for each split, there will be another sorting order which is by Qualy time

If PD decided to combined all 3 regions, then the match making will be more since there are larger pool of player will signed up.

For DR, there's hidden number that PD don't show on the screen. That DR calculation will be used for ranking and splits.
I'm pretty sure the DR thing is false, because I'm currently B and sometimes get matched with Ds.

Haha, I started to give him the benefit of the doubt as just being a bad driver then hit did it again. :) It sucks and maybe they will make changes but really I think players like him will get weeded out. What was his SR, do you know?

Or he's probably doing what a bunch have started doing & that's racing until he gets put in the higher ability lobbies, and then purposely wiping people out in an effort to tank his DR/SR so he can drop into the low skill lobbies and get easy wins/poles for the gold trophies.

Open your eyes to the bigger picture my friend ;)

I'm pretty sure the DR thing is false, because I'm currently B and sometimes get matched with Ds.
maybe when you signed up, there not enough B player signed up too. So the system will push C and B player into the same split. In PC simracing they show on the screen how many people signed up for particular race. In my timezone ( GMT +8 ), the most people signed up will be 12AM-4AM for GT3 race in iRacing, so the matchmaking worked well.

maybe when you signed up, there not enough B player signed up too. So the system will push C and B player into the same split. In PC simracing they show on the screen how many people signed up for particular race. In my timezone ( GMT +8 ), the most people signed up will be 12AM-4AM for GT3 race in iRacing, so the matchmaking worked well.
That's interesting. I never knew PC games did that. I'd like to see GT Sport add a similar feature later.

I'm pretty sure the only definite matching tool is SR. I'm almost always matched with S rated SR drivers but have been matched with D rated DR drivers some who were over 10 seconds slower on their quali lap. I lapped someone last night, flashed at them continuously a good 30 seconds before I overtook them and they still managed to make contact with me after they ran wide:(

That's interesting. I never knew PC games did that. I'd like to see GT Sport add a similar feature later.
yeah they should showing XXX numbers of player signed of for 14:10 Gr3 races. So you can predict which time of the day tha have the most signed up players.

In iRacing ( similar system to GTS ), we only race on weekend because of SOF Night. Imagine 500 players signed up for 2AM GT3 race. Each player have their own DR ( we call it iRating ). So there will be splits, since only 30 players can race in the same instance.

Then there will be lot of splits and matchmaking will be accurate because 500 players signed up for that particular race.

Why SOF matters ? Because of champ points ( this is yet to come into GTS, maybe while FIA Cup already in progress ).

I had this exact issue yesterday, matchmaking works around 90% SR and 10% DR from what I can see, so my best time was in a race with people who took 22seconds longer...
1st place,pass 14th position, calmly passed the green lambo in 13th, bam half a lap from there on out was a green lambo attacking me.

Solution: matchmaking should place me with players of the same SR(As it does), next checkpoint LAPTIME, no DR. DR should be a little pat on the back system for you, not a group you are in. I'm group B and continually placed with B's & C's with inferior times, not just worse but inferior. can only result in problems.

I'm pretty sure the only definite matching tool is SR.
From what I've seen there is no single dominating factor. It appears to take into account raw SR and DR scores, but also what it assesses as your ability outside of DR based on qualifying times (and it seems to estimate them where you don't present one) and previous race results. I was paying close attention to it when I was a 'default' driver at DrE and SrB and even after just a couple of races and no qualifying time to work with it was putting me in fields with wildly differing DR/SR ratings but a spread of abilities sufficient for me to work my way up from the back of the pack to the middle by the end. With a qualifying time it started to put me, at DrD and SrA, into lobbies with C/S and B/S drivers - along with D/A and E/B drivers further back.

I don't know how it weights the factors it uses - and I wouldn't even know where to start.

I am DR: A and SR: S and sometimes I’m paired with DR: D and SR: A with 8 second slower qualifying times. It just doesn’t make sense.

Last edited:
I am DR: A and SR: S and sometimes I’m paired with DR: D and SR: A with 8 second slower qualifying times. It just doesn’t make sense.
I'm so lucky to be matched only SR S drivers, last 10+ races. I'm on D/S currently, soon pumping D higher, did my SR with stock setup cars and had lot of fun.

That "default setup" bug really annoys me, have to remember every time go on driving settings and car setup prior hitting track or else it leaves your setup as stock, nice to drive with 1:59.4 Q on nurb without tune, starting 3rd and getting 2:01-2:03 lap times when others are pushing 2:00-2:01..

Maybe everybody's already sick to death of it so nobody's actually playing Sport mode and that's all the people they could round up for your race!

I for one am fed up of the waiting. If I go into Sport and see I can wait 3 minutes for another go at the mind-numbingly tedious oval N200 race or FORTY EIGHT MINUTES to enter the Gr.3 race I might actually enjoy, then the best option seems to be a different game entirely.

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20171029212204.jpg

Need. Offline. Content.

Maybe everybody's already sick to death of it so nobody's actually playing Sport mode and that's all the people they could round up for your race!

I for one am fed up of the waiting. If I go into Sport and see I can wait 3 minutes for another go at the mind-numbingly tedious oval N200 race or FORTY EIGHT MINUTES to enter the Gr.3 race I might actually enjoy, then the best option seems to be a different game entirely.

View attachment 685324

Need. Offline. Content.

Do those on row or like I'm doing two on row and 15 min break. (Gr4&gr3 races)

Back