This is what I want FM4 to sound like..

• Thread starter vkss
  • 8 comments

Just make the cars sound like this and i'll be over the moon.
Listen to the exhaust as it sputters in between gears, the gearing down or overrun, the raw mid range and higer rpm notes,the rev matching..etc
That's what racing games need. More raw sound files as opposed to the smooth,'perfect' sounds we get especially where modified cars are concerned.

Audio compression kills all recording efforts. Pc sim racers sound mods are massive in size. doing that for 500 cars would span the game over multiple discs with fewer cars each and will have longer load times installed or not. And the ram needed to store the audio needs to be in greater, that 512 is too puny for uncompressed sound files for 8-16 cars.....

Audio is an overlooked feature in modern consoles. Back in the day consoles had dedicated dsp's for sound, Now its done by the CPU.

Here's how Turn 10 capture their sounds. This is the Turn 10 sound man in action

How did you know it was Turn10? I hope it was, having that sound in Forza 4 would be excellent.

Audio compression kills all recording efforts. Pc sim racers sound mods are massive in size. doing that for 500 cars would span the game over multiple discs with fewer cars each and will have longer load times installed or not. And the ram needed to store the audio needs to be in greater, that 512 is too puny for uncompressed sound files for 8-16 cars.....

Audio is an overlooked feature in modern consoles. Back in the day consoles had dedicated dsp's for sound, Now its done by the CPU.

Dead on the money; however, I imagine there's room for improvement, after all he is talking about the audio from a YouTube video.

CCX
How did you know it was Turn10? I hope it was, having that sound in Forza 4 would be excellent.

They've shown previously this is how they get car data. And there's this Turn 10 Blog It's quite possible that very CCX in the video is the one providing the sounds for the CCX in the FM3 "stig's garage" car pack

^ I looked at the related videos "Supra Popping flames" and until the end I was thinking they need to be recording the sound from a set distance behind the car in order for it to be accurate. Then the camera was lifted off of the ground and a mic about 7' behind the car came into view.

Good job to the people recording. I hope they are also getting samples of the interior sound with the windows rolled up. I always thouught FM3's interior engine sounds were a little too clear.

Also if this is for FM4... they are recording a modified Supra? Will modified exhaust notes return?

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back