This is Why We Can't Have Nice Things: ABC Cancels 'Last Man Standing' Due to Right-Leaning StanceTV 

United States
Azle, TX
supermanfromazle
SanjiHimura
Despite a loss of audience of 5% from last year, and its status as the anchor of ABC's Friday Nights, the network abruptly cancelled the Tim Allen show 'Last Man Standing' today after the show's co-producing network, 20th Century FOX, agreed to reduce its fees without negotiating a clause that would allow the network to buy back rights. The move has been criticized as purely political, though the network claims it was due to Tim Allen's salary.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/16317/despite-high-ratings-abc-cancels-trump-friendly-john-nolte#

Despite a loss of audience of 5% from last year, and its status as the anchor of ABC's Friday Nights, the network abruptly cancelled the Tim Allen show 'Last Man Standing' today after the show's co-producing network, 20th Century FOX, agreed to reduce its fees without negotiating a clause that would allow the network to buy back rights. The move has been criticized as purely political, though the network claims it was due to Tim Allen's salary.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/16317/despite-high-ratings-abc-cancels-trump-friendly-john-nolte#
Watched the first 4 seasons on Netflix a while back. Loved it. I'm guessing it'll pop back up somewhere else. A show this popular isn't going to just go away. There's money to be made!:)

I've heard about that, it sucks that they cancelled it. I really enjoyed that sitcom and hope it comes back in the future. If it doesn't however, then oh well; I'll just watch the reruns.

Really? A Tim Allen show gets cancelled and we immediately assume that it's a political thing and not because it's a Tim Allen show?

I've never been a Tim Allen fan so I'm not to bummed about the show getting the axe.

Really? A Tim Allen show gets cancelled and we immediately assume that it's a political thing and not because it's a Tim Allen show?

It was actually pretty successful, averaging 6.4 million viewers during their last season. Add onto that the fact that Fox was seemingly offering a sweetheart deal to ABC and the political angle suddenly takes on a little more credence. I'm not buying that it's the only reason, but I wouldn't be shocked if it played a role in the decision.

It was actually pretty successful, averaging 6.4 million viewers during their last season. Add onto that the fact that Fox was seemingly offering a sweetheart deal to ABC and the political angle suddenly takes on a little more credence. I'm not buying that it's the only reason, but I wouldn't be shocked if it played a role in the decision.
I just remember that episode of "The Simpsons" where Homer becomes an astronaut; NASA decide to revitalise their image by putting an average American in space and look to network television for ideas on what the average American looks like. Cut to a grab of "Home Improvement" and Tim Allen backing a turbochared ride-on lawnmower through his neighbour's fence.

20thC Fox all by itself is usually reason enough for good series being cancelled for no good reason other than their own executives' incompetence. ABC though cancelled at least ten shows with three more possibly to follow at the same time.

Cancellation due to a conservative stance is unlikely; far-right wing - now I can fully understand that as being a reason for cancellation.

20thC Fox all by itself is usually reason enough for good series being cancelled for no good reason other than their own executives' incompetence. ABC though cancelled at least ten shows with three more possibly to follow at the same time.

Cancellation due to a conservative stance is unlikely; far-right wing - now I can fully understand that as being a reason for cancellation.
But Bob Iger will label anything that doesn't agree with the liberal narrative in Hollywood far-right.

As a bit of a related note, remember the show 'Dukes of Hazzard'? When it was cancelled, it was #11 in the ratings - a ranking that would make execs think twice about cancellation today - but CBS pulled the plug anyways for this reason - the repair costs of the cars that appeared on the show.

Today, 'Dukes of Hazzard' remains one of the top syndicated shows on TV today because of its message, which deep down, could have been a reason why it had its plug pulled.

'Last Man Standing', on the other hand, existed during the days of the internet and widespread liberal thinking in Hollywood, and so having a show that delivers a similar tone and message to the 'Dukes' would not sit well with network executives who are trying to push ideologies that do not sit well with 90% of America (geologically speaking). So having Tim Allen take a stand and making this show for the rest of us is a bit refreshing, and it paid off in the show's ratings.

Back