This licence is driving me nuts!

• Thread starter Hoffmann
  • 20 comments
n00b alert :sly:

I have Silver now on all Licence tests, except in the Novice class where you have to ride around a circle. Its the second of the two tests, with a blue bike. I'm still 5 one thousands of a second off silver and it has just about got my hair truning grey!

Anyone got any ideas to speeding it up?

I'd like to help, but I also only have silver here. I blitzed through the entire Super license test in 2 hours and I can't go in a freaking circle??? Hopefully we'll both learn something. :)

Stay as close to the inside line as possible, too much throttle will not make you faster, it will send you wide, at which point you have to slow down to get back towards the circle. Once moving, you NEVER need full throttle. Also, you have to learn to anticipate that you've got too much speed. In other words, hear the engine speed; if it's too high, you'll be going wide, back off a bit before you actually run out. If you wait until you're actually wide before backing off, you'll have to slow down more, and lose more time.

These tests are like a slow corner in a race. You can't make up time, but you can certainly lose it.

for this test I had to keep the tuck button held down and hugged the kerb all way round and gold wasnt a problem

Heh i was just going to post this exact same question asking how to do this, as im going back to try and win all the riding gear, this is also the only test im stuck on really.

I have 3 licenses now and i have gold on all of them.
The most difficult one was the 9th of license #3.
After almost an hour of trying i was .001 seconds to slow :ouch:
really frustrating.
it took me another 45 minutes before my time was good enough

This test took me a while to get gold, I was feathering the throttle and going in and out of tucking and at the end I gave it full throttle and clipped the finishline...the scoother was tougher for me to gold.

The other problem tests were the slolom

I didn't read all the suggestions but this was the only test where I watched the demo to see how fast they were going and how close to the curbs. Being as close to the curb as possible and about at the same speed +/- as in the demo will get you an easily earned gold medal...

The demo doesn't show speed, though. Does it? Or did I just miss something?

TB
The demo doesn't show speed, though. Does it? Or did I just miss something?

A demo is just a replay. Cycle through the replay types. Starts on plain screen, then you get dive (for whatever reason), then information display, then back to plain, etc. Square button, I think (although my posting at work from memory is now about 0 for 3, this may make it 4.)

I kinda figured it was something like that. I wasn't sure as I typically don't watch the demo because it usually ends up making me do worse.

Tucking the whole time helped me, as well as maintaining a constant throttle opening and hugging the inside line. For me, the hardest novice license to gold was the Triumph at Laguna Seca.

don't tuck (no need at low speeds of this test) and watch the demo, with the display on, this will tell you the avg. speed you need to hit and how to do it.

The best way to do it is stay to the inside accelerate for a bit then let off, accelerate then let off, and so on keeping your speed around the same. If you use these techniques you should find it pretty easy.

At this speed, I would suggest maybe tucking helped your balance and thus your line, not your speed. Just a thought.

Good job, though!

wfooshee
At this speed, I would suggest maybe tucking helped your balance and thus your line, not your speed. Just a thought.

Good job, though!

Roger that. In a tuck i could hold a tighter line while still going a few mph faster than i could without tucking.

Tucking seems to help lean angle for me in many situations. Un-tucking (or however you would say it) primarily controls bike stability, rear wheel traction for high-powered bikes, and prevention of lowsiding with some very wide bikes (try the CB750F challenge at the high speed ring and attempt to maintain a tight line while tucking through the first corner to see what I mean.)

wfooshee
Stay as close to the inside line as possible, too much throttle will not make you faster, it will send you wide, at which point you have to slow down to get back towards the circle. Once moving, you NEVER need full throttle. Also, you have to learn to anticipate that you've got too much speed. In other words, hear the engine speed; if it's too high, you'll be going wide, back off a bit before you actually run out. If you wait until you're actually wide before backing off, you'll have to slow down more, and lose more time.

These tests are like a slow corner in a race. You can't make up time, but you can certainly lose it.
👍 Good description there...

Before I even read this thread I had a feeling that it might concern this test. I've only just started the game myself, but already have noticed that this test is quite hard.

I thought some of those Junior class tests were the most difficult ones to Gold, the slaloms gave me fits, those were the very last ones I got.

Maybe nobody else mentioned this because it's so obvious, but I thought I'd throw it in there...

The key is not to steer...just hold the stick hard right and control direction by adding/subtracting throttle in small amounts. Once you get up to about 38-39mph (IIRC), crank it right, hold it tight to the curb, and juggle the throttle. I golded this pretty easily, but I also use the right stick for throttle which is easier for me to finely modulate than the buttons.

Back