This really sums the AI up

  • Thread starter Thread starter <_Spike_>
  • 14 comments
  • 846 views
Messages
1,637
I decided that, in my new quest to get 200 A-Spec points on as many races as possible, I'd go cheap for the rallies and use the Dodge. I got to Rally di Umbria on Hard. Normal, I had a little trouble here and there (got to lap 4, fluffed it and had to make an almighty come back on lap 5). But reverse was by far the easiest ever race and showcased the AI's stupidity.

I already knew the Subaru could out do my 560ish BHP Dodge Ram, so I decided that in the first corner on reverse, I'd give it a nudge, just to let him know I was there and put him off for a few seconds. I took first and carried on (hey I completed the game cleanly so sue me for being a bit dirty once in a while), I noticed no split times had come up over S1 and S2 and found this really weird. Of course when I got to corner one on lap 2...I found out why. The AI seemed to have the inability to do a simple reverse and turn, instead it kept going back and forth, turning slightly but not getting anywhere, between the inside of corner one and the barriers on the outside of the corner.

I found this quite amusing...so I made sure to leave him there, winning by +4 laps..something I never thought I'd ever do in a rally. Ironic thing is, when the computer took over after I crossed the line, it decided to hit the Subaru and free it, the impact caused my Dodge to be put into the same situation and until it faded to the replay it remained there going back and forth.

All in all...200 A-Spec points and a picture perfect example of the AI summed up in 5 laps.
 
ahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahhahahah:) :) :) :) ahahahahahahahahhahahahaha

wooops musnt have put the rest in this also happened to me jut thought it was funny
it was hilarious when it happened to me except io was driving my skyline gtr r34
 
boy - What was the meaning of that post?

<Spike> -This thread would be more at home in the Race Reports Sub-Forum :)
 
Probably true, did wonder if I should post it there but didn't seem much of a report. But if it should be there a mod should hopefully shift it that way
 
Phew. Great story... I'd try that sometime.
 
George Morley
boy - What was the meaning of that post?

<Spike> -This thread would be more at home in the Race Reports Sub-Forum :)


Yes and No:


This is a perfect example of how stupid the AI in GT4 is rather then a race report.


However, lots of threads on AI have been made but it's fine, never seen anything like that before to be honest ;)
 
That sort of thing has happend to me before, although it was more common on GT3. They would sit there, paricularly on the first hairpin on Grand Valley Speedway, and reverse back 1 foot, the forward a tiny bit, and would carry on for ages so I would end up winning by several laps!
 
I think it was a small nudge from behind, not turning into the back of him.
 
That reminds me of GT3. When I was racing the Cote d'Azur endurance on GT3 (on a formula racer. I just wanted the prize cars at the time), I didn't let a car turn on that sharp chicane next to the ocean, just to amuse myself. It went straight into a wall and didn't reverse at all. After about ten laps of me passing the car, I got sick of looking at it and nudged it back into the track.

At least in GT4 the cars go in reverse. :3
 
I pity the AI at times for their "artificial" intelligence:ouch: . Highly artificial at that. I just hope they aren't as inept in the next installment of GT. It reminds me of when I was doing the Nurburgring race in 1000 Miles! in the '67 Skyline. My main competition was that little Ginetta G4. He'd be leading me by 5 or so seconds, that is, until he got up to the first hairpin (forgot it's name) and the little booger would end up losing control, skidding off into the sand, and spinning out every lap.

Ginetta G4:dunce:
Me, laughing in my Skyline:lol:

The AI just has serious trouble controlling cars that are extremely lightweight and have good power (the Peugeot 205T16 Evo 2 and the Toyota-7 are the best examples :lol:).
 
The AI reverse, bump, reverse, bump, reverse, bump glitch is an old, and well known one.

Basically, it's easiest to generate at Costa reverse, but it can be done with good timing and patience on other tracks. Basically, what I like to do (when I'm bored, and I have nothing else to do) is come up beside them, turn with them, and wedge them into the box at the top of the hill (first corner). Make sure he's facing the wall directly, and he'll never, EVER, get out.
 
B-Spec did this to me in a 24 Hour Ring race (thankfully it was only as far as the first stop)...reddish tyres...came screaming over the last few bumps and span out...kept going back and forth between the two barriers that signalled the pit entrance..
 
that's sooo sad.... and hilarious too! :D
 
Back