This vs GT1

BarbarianGoth

(Banned)
Canada
Canada
Baptized_Soviet
Baptized Soviet
Which one do you think is better?
I know GT2 has a lot more cars, tracks and dirt racing etc.
But I love the theme of GT1 better. The soundtrack, the individual OST to each dealership, and it feels really special playing the game that started it all, that was the first of its kind.
And it doesn't look half bad on the PS3 with smoothing enabled. Yeah an emulator on PC would make it look "better" (and yes I own both games and the consoles to play it on so I'm not a pirate) but you lose the classic Playstation feel.

Last edited:
GT1 is more focused but GT2 has more cars and a greater variety of tracks. I think ultimately what makes me give GT2 my vote is that it gives you a greater range of opportunities to use your favourite cars in different races and championships. Also, the number of variants for some models gives you a lot more choice for your favourite race modification.

I love the presentation of GT1 and the unique music for each dealership, GT 2’s presentation is a bit more all over the place.

Yeah, shame they didn't keep a similar theme to GT1. Both are great games anyhow. But GT1 will always be the car collecting racing game with (at least semi) realistic physics that started it all, that other series like Forza tried to emulate, and for me that puts it just above GT2 in terms of specialness :D

I love both games, and have fond memories of both, from back when I was actively playing them. GT2 wins for me though, for reasons already stated. More cars (way more cars) tops this list most of all. In general, there's also the fact that the second game began to include more American and European cars.

What GT has over GT2 though has also already been stated. There's more of a presentation in the first game. It's not as free-form as GT2 is; there is more structure in the first game, for sure. I especially liked the ability to do qualifying laps in the first game. No other GT offers qualifying in such a way, in the sense that qualifying laps are used to give an overall feel of "are you good enough, compared to the others?" We can also earn money (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) if we make pole position.

Nowadays, qualifying might feel like cheating in a way. I am good enough with GT games that I can probably get pole position every time, in a car that's still comparable to the competition. But back when I was new to the GT series, I'd often screw up my qualifying laps! Wind up in 3rd place, or worse. So in that sense, it was like the game was then giving me a realistic overview of my performance as a driver, compared to the others who showed up. Not only this, but the first game also would list every car's weight and horsepower, letting us know where we stood, even before doing qualifying / practice laps.

In comparison, GT2 does not really allow any sort of yardstick-of-comparison once we show up at the track. I show up, I've got a maximum horsepower limit I cannot pass, but other than this, I have no idea if I (or my car) are good enough, or if we're too good, not until I do the actual race!

... but it's features like these that really highlight the differences between those first two games. :) Damn, I just wrote a novel, didn't I? :D

Last edited:
I know that I will anger a lot of people with my opinion, but I still think GT1 is all in all the better game. But let me explain before you all put me on a staple with torches in your hands.

GT2 made WAY too many mistakes, because it was rushed. For example the R33 Raynik Skyline 280 type MR - which was only produced in 7 units by the way, making it the rarest Skyline ever - has AWD in the game, but we all know the very few real life counterparts all have RWD, not to mention the wrong pricing between the European Ford Cougar and the American Mercury version.

GT1 is not perfect in this regard, but FAR less mistakes were made. What's more, GT1 has real championships and qualifyings which I really miss in part two. Nothing gives you a better feeling than not knowing if your qualifying time is enough to get the money bonus. Like cpl_richie wrote: part one is much more focused and that alone makes it the better game. More cars and more tracks doesn't necessarily mean the game is better - especially when your all-time favourite racetrack is missing.

Gosh ... I miss SSR11.

Back