Thoughts on RMs/8HRs

• Thread starter Ducatista
  • 11 comments
What are your thoughts on the various racing bikes and which model do you prefer to ride?

As much as I would love the Ducati 999R RM to be the fastest, I seem to be much better off with one of the Japanese rides. However, there the line is much more blurred. Every time I think I have figured out which bike suits me best I go test another one and either improve my riding or learn something new about the bike and... BAM ...go faster.

So far I have tested the 1000cc RMs from Ducati, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Yamaha, and I have also won the Moriwaki, Yoshimura, YSP/Preso 8-hour bikes. I liked the Moriwaki best until I figured out the YSP/Presto Yamaha and broke the 1:40 barrier at Valencia in stock form. It probably won't be long before I go faster on something else...

I'd love for the Duke to be fastest too, and while I've managed slightly under 1:40 with it at Valencia, the Japanese bikes have the upper-hand, even if, going by specs, they all seem more or less equal. As for the Japanese bikes, I've found the Ninja to have the worst brakes, yet is the fastest, and the CBR is the best all-rounder. The Yamaha and the Gixxer seem to be more or less evenly matched for me, but just can't match the Honda.

For the 8h bikes, I've only used the blue CBR (I forget the name at the moment), because I was assuming the 8h bikes were similar to the regular RM's. I'll have to experiment, though.

Last edited:
As in real life, the japanise bikes are on the cutting edge. They certainly are more 'sterile' feeling than the duc tho.

The ducati is UBER stable, and has gobs of torque however. Its a better match against 750 cc supersports (only one left... the GSX-R 750).

In superbike racing, i think the 4 cyl. bikes were restricted, and ducati ruled the day for a long time.. Now all bets are off.

The 8hr bikes are far superior to the normal 1000cc RM bikes.. However, dont discredit the 600cc RM bikes. They handle MUCH better than the 1000cc bikes, and are marginally slower.. but in alot of cases, the sweet handling more than makes up for it.

The 1000cc bikes are monsters.

In terms of pure speed, I have found that the Seven Stars Honda works best for me. It has that little extra something that makes me noticably quicker than the other three 8 Hour bikes I have so far.

The Ducati may not be as quick but I do prefer its more "unique" personality. I'm also faster on it using the lean-in style as opposed to the neutral form, which works better for me with the four cylinders.

As for the 600cc bikes, I do find them a lot of fun and I think I actually enjoyed the 600cc races more than the 1000cc and unrestricted ones. I think I'll even give the latter races a try with a 600cc bike.

I do wish they would have included the Ducati 749R and RM in the 750cc and below catagory, but maybe we'll have that in a future version of TT...

I enjoy racing the ducati, but it is slower than the other liter rm bikes. i prefer the CBR1000RR RM than any of the other japanese bikes, but when it comes down to racing with the 8H ones, i am the most quickest on the Yoshimura GSXR although the 7 Honda is right behind it.

the honda has the upper hand by far. but the gixxer falls right behind for me. the ninja coming in last

yoshimura is best tuner for me too

I seem to be alone on this, but I'm much faster on Midfield with the R1 RM... The Honda's better all round and easier to ride, but the R1's a rocket ship with the gears shortened.

Im with MikeOne on this one. Im also fastest on the R1 RM, with the CBR1000RR next, than the Ninja. I cant seem to get it right with the gixxer. The MV Agusta and the Aprilia are great fun to race against each other but cant keep up with the other 1000cc bikes, includig the Ducati. As for the 8hr bikes im loving the Yoshimura. It seems to me that different bikes work with different styles. And for me the R1 works best with my style, which basically has me right up on the tank with my ass hanging off the bike and my leg paralell with the ground.:scared:

SpeedyR1
Im with MikeOne on this one. Im also fastest on the R1 RM, with the CBR1000RR next, than the Ninja. I cant seem to get it right with the gixxer. The MV Agusta and the Aprilia are great fun to race against each other but cant keep up with the other 1000cc bikes, includig the Ducati. As for the 8hr bikes im loving the Yoshimura. It seems to me that different bikes work with different styles. And for me the R1 works best with my style, which basically has me right up on the tank with my ass hanging off the bike and my leg paralell with the ground.:scared:

I find the r1 is the fastest for me too. Trail brakes great, can nail the apex evry time, and just hooks up and drives out of the corners.

The r1 RM and the 8h versions are super too.

The r6 is also a winner.

Latest Posts

Back