Thoughts on Sport Mode, winning (and not winning) and BoP skewing

• Thread starter GTWelsh
  • 2 comments
Wales
Wales
TSR_GTWelsh
Just some thoughts on current events, my take on Sport Mode and the point of it in general.
Might be worth a thread for discussion :)

Sport Mode

Sport mode and it's DR-SR rankings is designed so you don't win all the time. As you get faster so do your opponents.
So by design you're not going to win all the time unless you're right up at the top of the S ranks with no one / very few ahead of you.
So why is everyone using the Porsche?

The 911 and BoP skewing
By flocking to the car of the moment, not only are you potentially bumping your DR higher than it should be (and then when BoP sorts itself out you'll get absolutely smashed, frantically looking for the next BoP car), you're helping to skew the results for that car and the next BoP update won't be as accurate as it could be.
If we all stuck to the car we just generally like, rather than the one that's "the best at the moment" BoP will update over time and even everything out.

However...

If we all use the same car because it's the best, what can PD get from that? They'll nerf it for sure, but by how much? With such poor data (everyone using the same car) it will be hard to get it 'just right'.
*oh look, a 911 won against 19 other 911's, how do we balance this with the Merc?*
So really for everyone's benefit we should ideally all just use any car we fancy rather than flocking to the BoP car of the week in a hope it papers over the cracks in our ability (it won't).
That way we would make BoP balancing easier with more relevant data.

Finally
Stop taking "winning" so seriously, have fun in the mid-pack, and get some clean racing under your belt. Your DR will move where ever it moves, DR:S isn't the aim, the aim is to have fun. DR:S is only there for people that require that level of opponent. Do you?
Winning all the time is actually pretty boring (random Lobbies generally).

Last edited:
Just some thoughts on current events, my take on Sport Mode and the point of it in general.
Might be worth a thread for discussion :)

Sport Mode

Sport mode and it's DR-SR rankings is designed so you don't win all the time. As you get faster so do your opponents.
So by design you're not going to win all the time unless you're right up at the top of the S ranks with no one / very few ahead of you.
So why is everyone using the Porsche?

The 911 and BoP skewing
By flocking to the car of the moment, not only are you potentially bumping your DR higher than it should be (and then when BoP sorts itself out you'll get absolutely smashed, frantically looking for the next BoP car), you're helping to skew the results for that car and the next BoP update won't be as accurate as it could be.
If we all stuck to the car we just generally like, rather than the one that's "the best at the moment" BoP will update over time and even everything out.

However...

If we all use the same car because it's the best, what can PD get from that? They'll nerf it for sure, but by how much? With such poor data (everyone using the same car) it will be hard to get it 'just right'.
*oh look, a 911 won against 19 other 911's, how do we balance this with the Merc?*
If we all just used any car we fancied rather than flocking to the BoP car of the week in a hope it papers over the cracks in our ability (it won't) we're actively making BoP balancing easier with more relevant data.

Finally
Stop taking "winning" so seriously, have fun in the mid-pack, and get some clean racing under your belt. Your DR will move where ever it moves, DR:S isn't the aim, the aim is to have fun. DR:S is only there for people that require that level of opponent. Do you?
Winning all the time is actually pretty boring (random Lobbies generally).

I use the porsche to race the people around me because if i qualify 7th i would like to be competitive for top 6.

And while more data for PD is better than less, I think you are overstating the use of the 911. At most 1/3-1/2 of the people i race at any given time are using the porsche. Plus over time all the cars will have qualifying times submitted for them and the top times can be gathered and ranked accordingly. People like you ensure this happens :cheers:

I use the porsche to race the people around me because if i qualify 7th i would like to be competitive for top 6.

And while more data for PD is better than less, I think you are overstating the use of the 911. At most 1/3-1/2 of the people i race at any given time are using the porsche. Plus over time all the cars will have qualifying times submitted for them and the top times can be gathered and ranked accordingly. People like you ensure this happens :cheers:
It's hard to make it clear but I really have no problem with people using the RSR, it's an awesome car. It's just (literally now) 17 RSRS, me in a GTR, 1 other guy in a merc and a Corvette. Almost every time. Might be different at higher / lower DR/SR's and different tracks maybe, but recently it's been crazy :P

Back