Thoughts on (taking inspiration / taking ideas / giving credit) and other morally grey areas.

Canada
Ottawa
Pyano1132
I’m sure we’re all well aware that GT Sport’s Livery Editor section holds no written copyright or theft laws, so anyone can get away with pretty much anything they want to from stealing other people’s designs to claiming they own an SVG file. Technically, people don’t even own their original designs.

Since there are no rules out there, it usually boils down to morality whether somebody is willing to give credit or commit a certain action. But sometimes actions can seem morally grey or questionable at times.

What inspired me to start this dialogue was this livery I made for my Audi R8 based on the anime Wake Up Girls. I had designed most of the livery but couldn’t get anything down for the sides of the car. So I went on the discover tab for designs that would fit my livery and I came across this other R8 with a split design I liked, so I replicated it. The top is mine, the bottom is the image I found on the discover tab.

CC4BABA7-F572-40E2-9F35-53C5C37CC7DA.jpeg
D16548CB-D2B1-4591-BE28-7752F2156EB4.jpeg

So what you’re seeing here is the finished livery I created with help from the ideas of the livery below. It’s about 80% my own ideas and 20% the one below if I had to assign percentages. I have since given credit and a download link to the livery whose ideas I borrowed from in my main thread.

On another note, some guy came to my page on GT Sport one time a while ago after I made a Gulf decaled version of a replica of the Lambda Performance Ford GT3 I had made and proudly exclaimed he made his own version of it and everyone should go check it out. If he wasnt aware of the original version, he might have thought he was stealing my idea, but It wasn’t really my idea in the first place because it was an alternate version of a replica livery of a real car. As you can see, it can get quite confusing sometimes.

So, should the guy who made his own version of my version of a replica livery be linking Lamda Performance’s Facebook page in his GTS description?

In your opinion, what actions in the livery editor and its surrounding community would you constitute as morally wrong? Is it wrong to use others SVG files without permission? Is it wrong to use designs from graphics designers on the internet without credit? Should we all just be allowed to do whatever? I’d like to hear from you down below.

Personally, I do take ideas from other liveries from time to time but I always make sure I reference the original source in a spoiler. It was just late last night so I forgot to do that for the last update post I made.

Last edited:
Unless the livery is blatantly the same and the author says that the idea was 100% his own, i don't really see anything wrong with it.
There is no real competition on the GT Sport site for liveries, most of what we make comes from our own will and want to make something, most times for ourselves, so maybe there is no real point in wondering if it's wrong to get inspiration from someone else and getting a close result, somebody must have designed every single livery we replicate.

Eitherway we're not making money so copyright isn't really a thing.

I made a livery for the GT3 650 McLaren inspired by Teo Martin Racing of the same car from a couple of years ago. And I mention that in the description when I share the livery :)

I’m sure we’re all well aware that GT Sport’s Livery Editor section holds no written copyright or theft laws, so anyone can get away with pretty much anything they want to from stealing other people’s designs to claiming they own an SVG file. Technically, people don’t even own their original designs.

Since there are no rules out there, it usually boils down to morality whether somebody is willing to give credit or commit a certain action. But sometimes actions can seem morally grey or questionable at times.

What inspired me to start this dialogue was this livery I made for my Audi R8 based on the anime Wake Up Girls. I had designed most of the livery but couldn’t get anything down for the sides of the car. So I went on the discover tab for designs that would fit my livery and I came across this other R8 with a split design I liked, so I replicated it. The top is mine, the bottom is the image I found on the discover tab.

View attachment 809793
View attachment 809794

So what you’re seeing here is the finished livery I created with help from the ideas of the livery below. It’s about 80% my own ideas and 20% the one below if I had to assign percentages. I have since given credit and a download link to the livery whose ideas I borrowed from in my main thread.

On another note, some guy came to my page on GT Sport one time a while ago after I made a Gulf decaled version of a replica of the Lambda Performance Ford GT3 I had made and proudly exclaimed he made his own version of it and everyone should go check it out. If he wasnt aware of the original version, he might have thought he was stealing my idea, but It wasn’t really my idea in the first place because it was an alternate version of a replica livery of a real car. As you can see, it can get quite confusing sometimes.

So, should the guy who made his own version of my version of a replica livery be linking Lamda Performance’s Facebook page in his GTS description?

In your opinion, what actions in the livery editor and its surrounding community would you constitute as morally wrong? Is it wrong to use others SVG files without permission? Is it wrong to use designs from graphics designers on the internet without credit? Should we all just be allowed to do whatever? I’d like to hear from you down below.

Personally, I do take ideas from other liveries from time to time but I always make sure I reference the original source in a spoiler. It was just late last night so I forgot to do that for the last update post I made.

I take inspiration all the time from user created liveries! Mainly colours and shapes, but still...

As for using others SVG files... Isn't that the whole point in sharing them?? So that others can use them?? - or have i missed your point??

I get the part about using designers ones from the internet without credit though, but similarly, its in the public domain so should be fair game (IMO)

Yesterday when looking through my Activity screen i noticed that there was a livery there that look a lot like the wrap I had made. After reading what that person had put in the comment sections, he stated that he downloaded the wrap from my gallery. This was the first time I've seen someone do that and I must say I thought it was pretty dame cool for him to do that. For me I enjoy creating decals/logo and livery's and try to upload new ones as often as I can. The thing that bothers me is "what's the reason to repost it because hardly anybody does it. Today I keep track and there was about 400 to 600 (24hr) of decals downloaded from my gallery and out of all those people less than 20 people reposted one. Its like if you download it from someone gallery you must like it right? Then why not repost it. The button right there matter of fact you have to go over that button to select the button to hit the download button. I really wish more people would give more comments because I like to know how I'm doing whether it good or bad. Gives me a little inspiration to keep creating them.

garystevens64

I really wish more people would give more comments because I like to know how I'm doing whether it good or bad. Gives me a little inspiration to keep creating them.

I find comments on GT Sport irritatingly fake. I'm more referring to photos because I'm horrible at liveries and so I don't share them, but any time I get comments on my photos, they always say the same thing, being some version of "wow great photo L+R." To this day I've never received a comment with some kind of constructive criticism or even any kind of criticism which is hugely frustrating, because it becomes very difficult to improve your skills without people pointing out what can be improved.

As for the OP, anyone who is decent at using the livery editor is probably well aware of how sharing works, and therefore should be aware of the risk of their design being copied. For me, I find that as long as anyone who makes a copy of an original livery puts their own spin on the livery, or makes any kind of adjustment that changes the livery to make it look obviously different to the original, then that is ok. It is when people start blatantly copying your livery and reuploading it as their own, that is when I would have a problem.

That said, I am ok with creating replicas of real life liveries, but I think that's obvious and one purpose of the livery creator in this game. For me it definitely gives GT Sport an edge over other racing games where you cannot accurately create real life liveries.

I find comments on GT Sport irritatingly fake. I'm more referring to photos because I'm horrible at liveries and so I don't share them, but any time I get comments on my photos, they always say the same thing, being some version of "wow great photo L+R." To this day I've never received a comment with some kind of constructive criticism or even any kind of criticism which is hugely frustrating, because it becomes very difficult to improve your skills without people pointing out what can be improved.

As for the OP, anyone who is decent at using the livery editor is probably well aware of how sharing works, and therefore should be aware of the risk of their design being copied. For me, I find that as long as anyone who makes a copy of an original livery puts their own spin on the livery, or makes any kind of adjustment that changes the livery to make it look obviously different to the original, then that is ok. It is when people start blatantly copying your livery and reuploading it as their own, that is when I would have a problem.

That said, I am ok with creating replicas of real life liveries, but I think that's obvious and one purpose of the livery creator in this game. For me it definitely gives GT Sport an edge over other racing games where you cannot accurately create real life liveries.
Link to your profile? I’ll give you criticism if you want? :nervous::lol:

I agree with everything you said. It would be nice if more people would give some sort of responce. Like you said its hard to improve your skills if nobody gives you any criticism. I don't care if it good or bad just give me something or tell me how I might improve it.

garystevens64

Back