Thread losing their bookmark after a while

• Thread starter LeGeNd-1
  • 8 comments

LeGeNd-1

Premium
Australia
Australia
GTP_LeGeNd-1
I have a question regarding clicking on a thread in GTP. Normally if you click a thread title it takes you automatically to the last unread post (marked by a "NEW" beside the post date). However, if you've been away from GTP for a while, or logged in but not have clicked that thread for a while (around 1 month), when you click on the title it takes you to the first post.

If you scroll through the thread you will come across your last unread post and see that it's marked with NEW. So the info is actually still stored in your account. My question is, why does clicking on the thread title not bring up the last unread post after a period of time, even though the bookmark is still there? I haven't cleared my browser history either. Is this a limitation with forum software, or am I missing something? I haven't tried the "Watch Thread" option either (not sure if it will solve my problem though).

I could just scroll through but in big threads it takes a lot of time. Clicking on the last page and scrolling back doesn't work either because the NEW disappears as soon as you click the 2nd last page (because it counts as you have read the last page inclusive of every page before it).

If Jordan or any other admins can give some input that will be much appreciated :)

If a thread has new posts and you haven't visited it in more than 30 days, it will take you to the first post in the thread.

To jump to the first unread post from there, just click the yellow "Go to First Unread" button next to the page navigation links.

If a thread has new posts and you haven't visited it in more than 30 days, it will take you to the first post in the thread.

To jump to the first unread post from there, just click the yellow "Go to First Unread" button next to the page navigation links.

Oh my god...I feel like such a dunce for missing a button that big :dunce: Thanks Jordan! 👍

Incidentally, I just passed my 10 Years Anniversary on this website. How time flies. Here's to another 10 years :cheers:

Is there a button on mobile for this? Or do I have to use a URL?

Another question Jordan: say I visit GTP on Sep 1 and click on a thread up to the last post at that time. I came back to GTP on Sep 15 but I did not view that thread at all. Then I came back again on Sep 30 and clicked on last unread post in that thread. Will it take me to Sep 1's last post or Sep 15's?

Also, is there a way to mark a thread as "read" (title not highlighted) without actually going into the thread?

Another question Jordan: say I visit GTP on Sep 1 and click on a thread up to the last post at that time. I came back to GTP on Sep 15 but I did not view that thread at all. Then I came back again on Sep 30 and clicked on last unread post in that thread. Will it take me to Sep 1's last post or Sep 15's?
It will take you to the first unread post, which in this example would be the one from September 1st.
Also, is there a way to mark a thread as "read" (title not highlighted) without actually going into the thread?
You can't mark an individual thread as "read" without "reading" it, but you can mark threads as "read" on a forum- or site-wide basis. Open your user account menu (next to your Inbox and Alerts menu) and select "Mark Forum Read".

It will take you to the first unread post, which in this example would be the one from September 1st.

Good to know. I could've sworn if you haven't opened a thread in more than 1 month the bookmark shifts to the date of last visit. But if you say so then I'll take your word for it :)

You can't mark an individual thread as "read" without "reading" it, but you can mark threads as "read" on a forum- or site-wide basis. Open your user account menu (next to your Inbox and Alerts menu) and select "Mark Forum Read".

If I "mark forum read" will this be permanent? Take the Assetto Corsa forum for example: there's only about 2-3 threads there that I want to follow regularly, and I want to un-highlight the other threads quickly without going to every one of them. If I "mark forum read" after I've read the 2-3 threads, the next time I visit would those 2-3 threads be un-highlighted as well?

If I "mark forum read" will this be permanent? Take the Assetto Corsa forum for example: there's only about 2-3 threads there that I want to follow regularly, and I want to un-highlight the other threads quickly without going to every one of them. If I "mark forum read" after I've read the 2-3 threads, the next time I visit would those 2-3 threads be un-highlighted as well?
If those 2-3 threads have not received any new posts in them since you last read them, they will be un-highlighted when you return. If they do have new posts, they will be highlighted.

Back