• Thread starter PeterJB
  • 13 comments

PeterJB

Compulsive Handwasher
Premium
United Kingdom
Corsham
lipming
Over the past few weeks when I've been clicking the button to view the first unread message, as I usually do, it hasn't then been un-highlighting the thread link when I've read all the messages, or at least it has only some of the time. It's not a massive disaster, just really annoying.

I've not seen any problems. Are you sure there are no new posts in the thread? If you refresh the page, do the posts then show as read, as expected?

A lot of the time there is only one new post since I last viewed whatever thread. It sometimes takes two or three attempts for it to show as read. If I leave the thread and then refresh the page it makes no difference.

I'm not quite sure I understand; if there's a new post since you last viewed the thread, it will be marked as unread.

Yes, but about 80% of the time when I view said post(s) and then leave the thread the thread title is still bold as if to suggest there are unread posts in it.

I don't click back, but on the link to the section of the site the thread is in, but I have noticed today that when I leave a thread and then refresh the page, it then marks it as read.

I've been having this problem as well. It happens if you don't scroll up/down the page or refresh it before your leave the thread. And it only happens when there's one unread post. You didn't have to scroll up/down the page before.

I'm also experiencing the same issue intermittently, and it seems like what GranTurismo916 said will do it. If I ignore that the thread, (let's call it thread A) is still marked as unread and go to another thread (thread B), then click back out, thread A that was marked as unread before will now be marked as read. This started happening with the previous site update (the one that also incorporated the picture resizing feature).

I'm on OS X 10.9.5 and Safari 7.1.2

Safari does seem to be doing some additional page caching; just make sure that you hit refresh to ensure you're viewing the latest version of the page.

I'm having the same exact issue as described by PeterJB.

I've been having this problem as well. It happens if you don't scroll up/down the page or refresh it before your leave the thread. And it only happens when there's one unread post. You didn't have to scroll up/down the page before.

Scrolling has no effect on it for me.

Safari does seem to be doing some additional page caching; just make sure that you hit refresh to ensure you're viewing the latest version of the page.

I'm running Chrome/Windows 8.1. So I don't think it's just a weird Safari caching issue.

There is an edge case which might be causing some confusion. Let's say you view an unread thread which has two pages of new posts - when clicking the thread, you'll be taken to the first unread post on the next-to-last page. If you don't go to the last page, and instead click back to the forum, it will still show as "unread" because there is, indeed, an "unread" page of posts which you haven't seen yet (clicking the thread again should then take you to the last page).

There is an edge case which might be causing some confusion. Let's say you view an unread thread which has two pages of new posts - when clicking the thread, you'll be taken to the first unread post on the next-to-last page. If you don't go to the last page, and instead click back to the forum, it will still show as "unread" because there is, indeed, an "unread" page of posts which you haven't seen yet (clicking the thread again should then take you to the last page).

I know that that does happen and may be what some people are experiencing, but that's certainly not the case for me, as a simple refreshing the page (command-R) in Safari will then mark that thread as read when before the page refresh, the thread would be marked as unread still.

Probably something to do with how Safari is handling caching, as you said above.

Yes, that occurs in Chrome as well. If a refresh shows the thread marked as you expect, then it's a browser caching issue.

Latest Posts

Back