Thrustmaster Reveals $650 T818 Direct Drive Wheel Base

• Thread starter Famine
  • 29 comments
Having recently side-mounted my Fanatec DD Pro, I’m becoming more aware of how many bases don’t have that as an option; surprised this is one of them with those forces.

Chassis aside, the rest of the info about the wheel base looks good though; I’m sure it’ll be a nice upgrade for anyone already in the ecosystem.

Last edited:
"none of which were purple, so points deducted there" :lol:

I agree with @PJTierney about the lack of side mount option, it's a great feature to have.

Still nice to see more competition in the market though especially for those in the Thrustmaster ecosystem giving them a nice upgrade path.

Finally it happened. Having a whole Thrustmaster ecosystem, I'm waiting for the PC+PS version. Meanwhile, I hope to find honest reviews about the new product.

"none of which were purple, so points deducted there" :lol:

I agree with @PJTierney about the lack of side mount option, it's a great feature to have.

Still nice to see more competition in the market though especially for those in the Thrustmaster ecosystem giving them a nice upgrade path.
According to the article, This is only compatible with ‘next gen’ rims and all rims that include a quick release. Meaning for most of us, its no good. My recently purchased sf1000 rim was a waste of money. However, the tm website says it’s compatible with existing rims. So iam a little confused. Looking closely at it, I can’t see how you would attach an existing rim.

Last edited:
According to the article, This is only compatible with ‘next gen’ rims and all rims that include a quick release. Meaning for most of us, its no good. My recently purchased sf1000 rim was a waste of money. However, the tm website says it’s compatible with existing rims. So iam a little confused. Looking closely at it, I can’t see how you would attach an existing rim.
The base comes with an adapter that attaches to your existing wheel.

Edit: tree’d

Last edited:
So now at £635 including the adapter. Wait another year (probably )for the console version with the rate of inflation means i best start saving up the £700 odd now then 😂

Looks visually like a high-quality product.

If i can use it with my SF1000 - i will buy it !

I love the TM eco-system: T-LCM pedals, BT LED Display, SF1000 or Open Wheel, my T-GT II ... great stuff

Last edited:
I will be excited once they release the PS5 version. I would be very interested in a comparison between this and the Logitech. From Jordan's review, it already seems that the Logitech is better than the Fanatec. I already have a bunch of stuff from the Thrustmaster ecosystem, but I also like Logitech's products.

Be cool if the ps5 version had the butt kicker built in with a 30cm t-gt wheel.
I'm pretty much leaning towards the Logitech since every design choice they made is good.
I really like the built in dual clutches. But wish it had dual analog sticks and a console-like button layout, that with a fully rounded wheel would be perfect.
But if thrustmaster makes good choices and decides to keep prices competitive....

The fact that Thrustmaster did the wheel DD only for PC is simply ridicolous. If Fanatec and Logitech did also for Playstatrion and Xbox, is something more serious.

The fact that Thrustmaster did the wheel DD only for PC is simply ridicolous. If Fanatec and Logitech did also for Playstatrion and Xbox, is something more serious.
Pc to start. They said there are plans for console versions in the future.

I believe this is the first review of the wheelbase.

One on my big concerns was play in the QR since we’ll have to use an adapter. But in this video it seems like the connection is rock solid.

Last edited:

Traxion's review is quite good and favourable.

Personally I've started to dismiss any direct drive base that doesn't have side/front mounting solutions (look how much vertical flex is put on the rig in that video and you'll see why), but it seems the base itself is a good one for those who are already in the Thrustmaster ecosystem.

Last edited:
Looking at TM's mounting manual:
TS-XW/TS-PC(and I know this is the same as T500-RS): 135mm M6 spacing
The Desk/cockpit mount kit for T818: 135mm M6 spacing
Good news for me that I don't need to redrill my adapter plate on my modified Obutto...

Hi ! I just received a t818 today (i was on TGT2 before) and i can't tell you that difference is just fantastic. It's my first direct drive it's Magic ! But not again compatible with Ps5 yet for Gran turismo 7. maybe with the next update of drivehub 🤓😲 i can't wait to play at Gran turismo 7 with this fabulous Direct drive by Thrustmaster. Ciao 👍😃

I'm curious about if someone will make a "plain" collar adapter to just let you use your own rim as well like today. I am sure it'll happen...might be harder just 3D print to make it strong enough.
I have a BT wireless wheel as well as just plain big OD no button rim to use outside of just normal TM wheels...

Sold Out

$699 for the base and the SF1000 wheel

bhphoto still let me 'buy' it at $699 and apparently they'll ship it when it's back in stock. We'll see.

EDIT: WOW. They changed the price back to $1,099 a couple of minutes after I bought it

I've wanted this wheel base for a few days now, but I always felt the price was too high. It's comparable to a Moza R9 from everything I've read and seen, which is about $200 cheaper. But with this deal, it was a no brainer.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back