Thrustmaster T-GT phantom shift unresponsive shifts

• Thread starter zero2sixty
  • 4 comments
United States
United States
For my first post to the forum, this one is a challenging.

I have scoured the web to find anyone else with this issue or a resolution and so far I'm coming up with nothing. So I'm posing this question to you.

I own a Thrustmaster T-GT wheel and it randomly, during a race, will upshift without any input from me. Additionally, when I attempt to then downshift the phantom upshift, the right paddle intermittently is unresponsive. At the moment, it only appears to happen while playing GT Sport. The issue persists regardless of if I have the device in GT or Other mode. For a few weeks after I got it (Christmas 2018) it had this flaw but then automagically cleared up. It's returned with a vengeance about the same time as last year.

Has anyone experienced this with the T-GT and PS4 playing GT Sport?

Hi:) Had similar problems with the t-gt rim. After few weeks, buttons pressed autonomous be itself, causes weird moves like paused the game ect. Happends most of the time while the steering axle is in a position arround 100-130°
I checked the rim, i opened it, looked at all, no issues found. Realy tight up the quikrelease and fix it with screw, also didnt help. I noticed there is some flex in the whole contruction of the rim. I think that causes that problem. The rim is a fail construction, overloaded with multifunction buttons. So often happend that i switched things while driving, just by hitting one of the 4 big knobs. When fast movement is required, you have high chance to hit one them. But thats just beside that random ghost button pressing. I have checked other rims and there is no problem. The t-gt base is nice. The t-gt rim is crap.

Only thing that will help you is getting a other rim. 28-30cm diameter works fine. 32cm like the rally rim is already to big, t-gt base is not strong enought for bigger diameter rims.

Hi:) Had similar problems with the t-gt rim. After few weeks, buttons pressed autonomous be itself, causes weird moves like paused the game ect. Happends most of the time while the steering axle is in a position arround 100-130°
I checked the rim, i opened it, looked at all, no issues found. Realy tight up the quikrelease and fix it with screw, also didnt help. I noticed there is some flex in the whole contruction of the rim. I think that causes that problem. The rim is a fail construction, overloaded with multifunction buttons. So often happend that i switched things while driving, just by hitting one of the 4 big knobs. When fast movement is required, you have high chance to hit one them. But thats just beside that random ghost button pressing. I have checked other rims and there is no problem. The t-gt base is nice. The t-gt rim is crap.

Only thing that will help you is getting a other rim. 28-30cm diameter works fine. 32cm like the rally rim is already to big, t-gt base is not strong enought for bigger diameter rims.

Thanks Zipperface for that feedback. I hadn't thought of replacing the Rim but it might be necessary. I've put in a support request with Thrustmaster. I hope they are aware of similar issues and can provide some solid direction, otherwise, I will be replacing this unit. Most likely with a Fanatec if there are no other options.

I have same problem as this. In GTS sometimes when turning the wheel it just randomly pauses the game, or worse goes out to the XMB and takes random screenshots. Have tightened up all the screws around the rim, sprayed the connectors with contact cleaners, no improvement. Probably lasts 1 day before the problem starts again. I do notice how even with all screws tight there are still panel gaps in the rim, so epic fail construction as you said. Honestly buying the T-GT has put me off buying another TM product ever again. Crappy pedals, rims peeling off and random button presses are just some of the issues I've had in less than 2 years of owning. Totally unacceptable for a premium product costing $1000 here. PD should be ashamed and ditch them for Fanatec next gen.

Honestly if it weren't for the 4 rotary buttons being so useful in FIA races, I'd have swapped to a simpler rim a long time ago.

I have same problem as this. In GTS sometimes when turning the wheel it just randomly pauses the game, or worse goes out to the XMB and takes random screenshots. Have tightened up all the screws around the rim, sprayed the connectors with contact cleaners, no improvement. Probably lasts 1 day before the problem starts again. I do notice how even with all screws tight there are still panel gaps in the rim, so epic fail construction as you said. Honestly buying the T-GT has put me off buying another TM product ever again. Crappy pedals, rims peeling off and random button presses are just some of the issues I've had in less than 2 years of owning. Totally unacceptable for a premium product costing $1000 here. PD should be ashamed and ditch them for Fanatec next gen.

Honestly if it weren't for the 4 rotary buttons being so useful in FIA races, I'd have swapped to a simpler rim a long time ago.

Dude ... I know exactly how you feel. It will be the last TM product that I own. I've tried everything and what's worse is that the problem is intermittent. As soon as I think the issue is resolved, it rears its ugly head again and pisses me off to no end.

IF Fanatec could confirm that the Podium DD wheel was compatible with the PS5, I would just go ahead and ditch the T-GT and get a real wheel. Now I have to wait until probably the holiday season before any confirmation of compatibility comes out. So I'm stuck with dealing with the T-GT until then. And TM support is the absolute worse. Nothing good to share here, but thanks for confirming that I'm not the only one in the world frustrated with this wheel.

Back