Thrustmaster T500rs calibration problem help!

Australia
Sydney
DJBLITKRIEG
Hi there'

I hve purchased the new T500rs wheel less than three days ago and already there is an issue. When I quit the game it seemed to stop at around 10 degrees to the left of the center position.

I downloaded the latest firmware upgrade, the problem seemed to have been resolved, but later on again. After exiting the game same thing happened.

Is anyone else finding this problem with their wheel.

Many thanks
George

I am not of help here as I don't have the T500rs but I need to comment. Wow that is how close to real the T500rs is!!! Just like a real car when you park it you turn it about 10 degrees or so to get the steering lock engage:)

I have experienced something similar with mine. Turned everything off and re-booted and the wheel re-calibrated itself.
I've had my T500rs for about a week now and I like it better than my G27. HTH

* PROCEDURE TO PERFECTLY CENTER THE WHEEL
1) Once the wheel is connected (and after the wheel has calibrated itself), turn the wheel completely to the left and then completely to the right.
2) Next, move the wheel to its perfectly centered position.
3) Simultaneously press and then release the “START + SELECT + MODE” buttons.
4) The wheel’s new central value is automatically and permanently saved in the wheel’s internal Flash memory
(note: do not repeat this procedure each time you reconnect the wheel).
IMPORTANT: Be sure not to not use this procedure too often, since there are a limited number of times that changes can be written to the wheel’s internal Flash memory.
= This procedure must be used only to modify the factory setting of the wheel’s central value.

left888
* PROCEDURE TO PERFECTLY CENTER THE WHEEL
1) Once the wheel is connected (and after the wheel has calibrated itself), turn the wheel completely to the left and then completely to the right.
2) Next, move the wheel to its perfectly centered position.
3) Simultaneously press and then release the “START + SELECT + MODE” buttons.
4) The wheel’s new central value is automatically and permanently saved in the wheel’s internal Flash memory
(note: do not repeat this procedure each time you reconnect the wheel).
IMPORTANT: Be sure not to not use this procedure too often, since there are a limited number of times that changes can be written to the wheel’s internal Flash memory.
= This procedure must be used only to modify the factory setting of the wheel’s central value.

I know about this. But this is totally unacceptable. I did not pay close to aud $800 for something which I need to calibrate by hand. Also this is not really accurate as you are setting the central zone off by hand. They better fix this quick smart.

I do not really understand the question. Is the complaint about the wheel being left in a non-centered position only when you quit the game or turn the system off?

If so, that behavior seems to be routine. it doesn't appear to be a problem because calibration is performed every time on startup.

Is your game playing affected in any way, or do you just dislike that it is not centered when the wheel turns off?

I missed your earlier post, my bad. However it doesn't sound like he needs to do that procedure, as the complaint was only about the wheel position after quitting the game. perhaps OP can come back in here to clarify. no need to get aggressive.

I build and sell racing simulators and often use (and sell) a lot of THRUSTMASTER T500RS.

The last order brought me many problems since all the wheels started to be aligned in the center position more or less 10º to the left.

The first one started to do this before Christmas, the last one was today...

I've disassembled one of the units and found out a few broken plastic parts, they are really cheap plastic and this is the problem.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

I build and sell racing simulators and often use (and sell) a lot of THRUSTMASTER T500RS.

The last order brought me many problems since all the wheels started to be aligned in the center position more or less 10º to the left.

The first one started to do this before Christmas, the last one was today...

I've disassembled one of the units and found out a few broken plastic parts, they are really cheap plastic and this is the problem.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

After some disassembling and cleaning the problem was detected but could not be resolved since the plastic parts were worn'd out to a level of non turning back...

dsc040901036957.jpg

dsc040911048992.jpg

dsc040921058236.jpg

dsc040931067721.jpg

dsc040941078269.jpg

dsc040951088790.jpg

dsc040961100154.jpg

dsc040971110510.jpg

Last edited:
Update on this:

After trying to solve the problem, using special glue and some washers to fill the gaps of the worn plastic, the wheel was re-assembled and re-connected to see if everything was OK.

After a self calibrating (as usual) the wheel stopped again with a 10º (more or less) difference to the left of the center position.

The problem is (you can check this by yourselves) when it goes to the far left position it turns more than to the far right position, then it divides the total length of the course by two and center's itself on that half a lenght.

Looking at the pictures you're not able to see where's the top left and top right of the total length but for sure it's missing some plastic part.

Don't get me wrong, THRUSTMASTER T500RS is a fine wheel. The precision for driving is awesome and everything works as suposed.

The issue here is because of the materials used for some parts that are simply not strong enough for it's own strenght. Everybody will have this issue on his wheel, regardless of the kind of driving, the good usage or anything else.

Everytime it calibrates it's contributing to the problem, therefore...

Last edited:
Great pics tweeter, looks like Thrustmaster is going to have some 'splaining to do.

Update on this:

After trying to solve the problem, using special glue and some washers to fill the gaps of the worn plastic, the wheel was re-assembled and re-connected to see if everything was OK.

After a self calibrating (as usual) the wheel stopped again with a 10º (more or less) difference to the left of the center position.

The problem is (you can check this by yourselves) when it goes to the far left position it turns more than to the far right position, then it divides the total length of the course by two and center's itself on that half a lenght.

Looking at the pictures you're not able to see where's the top left and top right of the total length but for sure it's missing some plastic part.

Don't get me wrong, THRUSTMASTER T500RS is a fine wheel. The precision for driving is awesome and everything works as suposed.

The issue here is because of the materials used for some parts that are simply not strong enough for it's own strenght. Everybody will have this issue on his wheel, regardless of the kind of driving, the good usage or anything else.

Everytime it calibrates it's contributing to the problem, therefore...

Obviously the issue the OP experienced has nothing to do with what you've just brought up. His is less than a week old and from what I can see and read in your post, the problem you're showing is more due to worn out parts.

Still, it's good to know. We'll see if this will affect all T500RS users.

Obviously the issue the OP experienced has nothing to do with what you've just brought up. His is less than a week old and from what I can see and read in your post, the problem you're showing is more due to worn out parts.

Still, it's good to know. We'll see if this will affect all T500RS users.

Not so sure if it's not the same problem.

What I've found out (because I tried a new one out of the box) is that when it's self calibrating for the first time it look's like if it has some springs on the left and right end, the wheel goes left, jumps to the right and then rests in the center.

The one from the pics goes to the left, sits there for a half second, turns to the right, another half second and then to the center, with the 10º off axis to the left.

What I've found out (because I tried a new one out of the box) is that when it's self calibrating for the first time it look's like if it has some springs on the left and right end, the wheel goes left, jumps to the right and then rests in the center.

The one from the pics goes to the left, sits there for a half second, turns to the right, another half second and then to the center, with the 10º off axis to the left.

Are you saying that the photos you've posted were from a T500RS that's less than a week old?

Are you saying that the photos you've posted were from a T500RS that's less than a week old?

Well, I've sold it for Christmas and was delivered on the Friday before.

It's not a week old but do the math, it's 15 days...

tweeter

You must have received a refurbished unit. Because my V1 looks nothing like that greasy ass mess inside. That thing looks 10 yrs old.

You must have received a refurbished unit. Because my V1 looks nothing like that greasy ass mess inside. That thing looks 10 yrs old.

Could be possible but everything's in the box look brand new, so I don't think it's refurbished.

Anyway, my THRUSTMASTER reseller and THRUSTMASTER have always replaced the bad units without any questions.

As I've said before the T500 is a great wheel and this is probably some minor problem with a plastic part that will be easy replaced for a metal one at the factory in future units.

I am having same trouble with my one, centre is off and by looking at pictures I can see how this is doing it. thanks to tweeter for posting pictures of internal damage I havent dismantle my one. but I have measured turns as per instruction and mine is different, so much be damage at lower end bearing.

Dam shame as I really like this wheel!

needs to be made of stronger material.

I had this very issue with my T500 after about 1 month use. I was in touch with TM support the same day and we tried all available solutions to them. After 2 weeks of back and forth emails, they concluded it was a faulty PCB holding the flash memory that stores the wheels calibration information.

They offered to send me a replacement PCB to re-wire myself but I declined that as I am no where near technical enough to perform that myself, and they immediately sent me a replacement unit (in the box - pedals and all) from the Australian supplier. I had to get the faulty unit back to the supplier at my own cost but they cover the return shiping (luckily the AU supplier is within 80km from me so I opted to drop the old one off and pick my new unit up personally)

I would offer this advice - any issues with your unit contact TM support immediately, be polite and offer all information you have available i.e. pictures, short video and very detailed explanations, and they will be more than helpful with your problem.

The new unit I recieved has had zero issues with calibration or fan noise and I recommend this wheel to anyone looking for a totally immersive experience in their sim racing hobby/lifestyle :)

Thanks, Ben.

I have 2 T500's and they are getting used almost everyday and I have no such issue.

I just got wheel but problem with the crew for ps4 when I turn the wheel it doesn't in the game your help will be appreciated

Hi, Happy T500 user/modder here. The only thing.. mine was always 2-3 degrees off centre... Got rid of the problem -made an adapter plate (for third party rims tho) that allows +-20 deg adjustments. Not a solution for everyone, but maybe some of you'll find it usefull. Check ignitioncontrols.com (product AP002).

Can anyone tell me how to calibrate the pedals? Seems my brakes just recently only started using 25% of the throw. even when i push the pedal all the way down, it only registers 25%. i updated firmware, and updated the software, and did all that. Is there a way to calibrate the pedals?

Back