Thrustmaster T500RS Wheel Settings

• Thread starter b3b4b5b6b7
  • 16 comments
Netherlands
Deest, Nijmegen
b3b4b5b6b7
Hello,

I've recently bought a Thrustmaster T500RS wheel with the TH8RS Shifter and I must say it's deffinitly worth the money I've spend on it. I love playing LFS and rFactor with the wheel but Gran Turismo 5 I find the wheel spinning very slow compared to the other games.

I've tried several different settings like turning powersteering off/on and changing the FFB level but the FFB doesn't feel right when drifting. On transititons it just doesn't spin fast eneugh for some reason.

Is there anyone on here that know some settings which makes it feel good or something like that?

Thanks,
Spitsy

Hey, I use a g27 and I know others recommend having it on simulation, powersteeing off, and ffb as high as you like. If you need any other help let me know, as I am a big fan of your vidoes. I also was in one of your live stremes on forza.

The simulation setting has no effect on any wheel with more than 200 degrees of rotation..

I've set the steering to simulation, powersteering off and I use the max FFB level. The FFB effects are really nice for example when you drive through the grass or crash into something but with drifting it doesn't seem to spin fast eneugh. It should be able spin atleast twice as fast as it does now, since it does it on other games perfectly.

I used to drift with a Fanatec GT2 wheel on GT5 and that almost spins faster then the T500RS does now on GT5...

Hi spitsy, welcome to :gtplanet:

I totally get your frustration, as im using T500RS for drift too.
Theres a big difference in "Wheel feel" from car to car, the setup also has alot to say. The BMW 3 series have another wheel feel compared to the Nissan S-series, so find a car that gives you what you are looking for and give it a tune afterwards. Personally i most use the germans, but also love them Japanese´s. I feel it like the 3-series have a more hard/"quick" steering and the S-series have a more soft/"slow" steering input. (Quick/slow not the right expression but try both)

Regarding making the Wheel spin as fast as in LFS, im sad to repport that its a lost wish 👎 altho I think every (GT5) T500RS drifters clearly would wish for more Wheel spin 👍 You can fool around with Wheel settings, but I recommend ffb 7-10 and powersteering on/off depeending on the stability of your rig and your ability to catch/correct the Wheel fast enough when a drift messes up or needs correction :)

GT5 Update 2.10 included special driver updates for the T500RS wheel, make sure your GT is Up to Date.

I learned to drift in GT5 with this setup and CJDA9GTP´s how to vid´s witch gave me great personal results after i got the hang of it 👍

Hope this can help you abit
Regards Mikael

Btw: After I learned drift in GT5, my ps3 was out off reach for a short time, and I was in a hard need for some sideways sucking then I remembered LFS, so decided to get the free demo - 30 min. in it i was almost tear full because of the extreme Wheel spin speed my T500RS suddenly threw at me! :scared: Bought the full S2 not much later, could have cryed for weeks a 10year old pc game "almost" beated my beloved GT. In LFS you will have to use gloves with its extreme power, in GT you gonna use them because of the long endurrance sessions. <--- In Case you have a T500RS and you havent tryed LFS Drifting with it GO GET THE DEMO HERE, but warning you, GT will never be the same. More Wheel rotation speed YOU are so greatly missed in Gran Turismo :guilty:

BBTW: I stil have have my rFactor virginity, so cant say anything about it.

Last edited:
In GT and LFS, Theres not much difference in rotation spin speed with G25/G27, but if you are on a T500RS in LFS it has so much more power and spins so freaking fast it can almost cut your finger-tips off ;)

Thanks for clearing that up :) Atleast I know now there is nothing I can do to make it spin faster. LFS indeed can rip your hands/finger/arms off if you don't pay attention for a second with the T500RS :P It's insane but at the same time very realistic!

I'm now using the following settings on GT5:

Powersteering: ON
FFB Level: 10

For me that feels by far the best. At first it feels really sloppy but after drifting for about an hour it actually feels really nice... but again it's a shame the wheel doesn't spin fast eneugh.

rFactor has about the same FFB strenght as LFS does, I think LFS is a bit stronger and better but rFactor still feels really nice.

Have you tried turning power steering off? I've never heard of a drifter using that setting..

I use a g27 witch spins slower than the t500 and it spins fast enough for me. I use FFB7 and power steering off. Don't forget the physics in gt5 are a lot different to LFS. I can't really see how you can think the wheel don't spin fast enough lol.

I've tried turning power steering off but it doesn't make it feel better at all. I used to use a Fanatec GT2 wheel on GT5 and powersteering ON, on that wheel felt like crap but on the Thrustmaster it just feels completly different to me.

@Reddee, tust me... If you have played GT5 and LFS with the thrustmaster you will exactly know what I mean lol. Not even joking, the T500RS spins about 3x as fast on LFS then it does on GT5.

I wouldn't really mind it tbh, but I like playing different racing/drifting all over the day and when you switch from e.g. LFS to GT5, Gran Turismo 5 feels like ****. Not because the physics just purely because of the bad FFB effects when drifting. I can drift fine on GT5 aswell after getting used to the wheel spinning slower but it's just not how it should be feeling.

And I'm pretty sure the G27 doesn't spin any slower then the T500RS on Gran Turismo 5.

I've tried turning power steering off but it doesn't make it feel better at all. I used to use a Fanatec GT2 wheel on GT5 and powersteering ON, on that wheel felt like crap but on the Thrustmaster it just feels completly different to me.

@Reddee, tust me... If you have played GT5 and LFS with the thrustmaster you will exactly know what I mean lol. Not even joking, the T500RS spins about 3x as fast on LFS then it does on GT5.

I wouldn't really mind it tbh, but I like playing different racing/drifting all over the day and when you switch from e.g. LFS to GT5, Gran Turismo 5 feels like ****. Not because the physics just purely because of the bad FFB effects when drifting. I can drift fine on GT5 aswell after getting used to the wheel spinning slower but it's just not how it should be feeling.

And I'm pretty sure the G27 doesn't spin any slower then the T500RS on Gran Turismo 5.

I have been told it does but I wouldn't know as I haven't owned a t500.

Here is a quick guestion, I have heard people talk about steering sensitivity on a wheel affects it. Has anyone noticed this?

Here is a quick guestion, I have heard people talk about steering sensitivity on a wheel affects it. Has anyone noticed this?

There was thread about it once. Many drifters claimed it to be true? Problem is PD clearly states it's not true. Steering sensitivity only effects the DS3.

When people say things like.."I think I feel a slight difference"???? It's placebo effect. If it were really happening the difference between 1 and 7 would be very noticeable.

I can guarantee you it does nothing on my T500rs.

Read the description of "controller steering sensitivity" & it clearly says it affects the sensitivity of the front wheels/steering when using a D-pad or analogue stick, since a wheel is neither it doesnt affect it, With wheels in GT5 max rotation cant be changed it depends on your wheel.

To the O.P I use G27 but find power steering OFF & FFB 10 the best setup to drift on, power steering ON will dampen the FFB making it move slower, Also using a grippier tyre compound might make your wheel move faster try CM,CS or even SH tyres to drift & see what they feel like.

Back