Thrustmaster TX Wheel + GTE RIM $400

• Thread starter Khyber
  • 22 comments
Wow, that's an awesome deal! I'd like to hear any feedback you may have on the GTE wheel over the stock 458 wheel.

got my wheel today!

OMG forza is like a new game. I don't know why people bitch about this wheel and the ffb. I think it's simply amazing especially for a console game!

Gotta get some new pedals and dammit thrustmaster release the shifter. at least i can use my g27 pedals and shifter on pc for now.

got my wheel today!

OMG forza is like a new game. I don't know why people bitch about this wheel and the ffb. I think it's simply amazing especially for a console game!

Gotta get some new pedals and dammit thrustmaster release the shifter. at least i can use my g27 pedals and shifter on pc for now.

You really need to keep an eye on Thrustmaster facebook page. The shifter is on its way, judging by the activity on there.

https://www.facebook.com/ThrustmasterXTeam?fref=ts

Also, the T3pa pedals are already out; those are the ones with clutch. The T500RS pedals work on the TX wheel base, and there is also a Basherboards plug in adaptor, which allows the use of fanatec pedals with the TX wheel base. So there are some options there for you.

When I get mine I will go most probably for Fanatec elite pedals else the T500 if I get a set in reasonable price. The T3PA are a waste of resources imo they should just give T500 pedals independently....

When I get mine I will go most probably for Fanatec elite pedals else the T500 if I get a set in reasonable price. The T3PA are a waste of resources imo they should just give T500 pedals independently....

Nothing wrong with the T3PA pedals unless you want to invert them.

got my wheel today!

I don't have any complaints about the FFB using the TX, its absolutely outstanding on PC racing sims, but the FFB in Forza 5 just doesn't feel right. If you play any PC racing sims, try rFactor 2, iRacing, Assetto Corsa, Game Stock Car Extreme, GTR2, and then try playing Forza 5 and you'll immediately notice how strange it feels.

I don't have any complaints about the FFB using the TX, its absolutely outstanding on PC racing sims, but the FFB in Forza 5 just doesn't feel right. If you play any PC racing sims, try rFactor 2, iRacing, Assetto Corsa, Game Stock Car Extreme, GTR2, and then try playing Forza 5 and you'll immediately notice how strange it feels.
I've heard this before. How would you describe the difference?

i mean there is more types of ffb in asetto corsa but i think the feedback in forza is pretty darn good...especially compared to previous gen.

far as pedals go. i was looking at t3pa because they are the cheapest, but finding them in stock is next to impossible right now. Finding t500 pedals is a challenge so far and the cpx adapter for fanatec pedals is next to impossible too.

You know I am big fan of Forza but I've been playing Asssetto Corsa for the past few days and the FFB with the TX Wheel is amazing on PC. You get a better sense of the car in relation to the track.

I've order the T3PA pedals before they went out of stock on amazon. I should get it by the end of the month.

I really want to get into PC sim racing, but I'm one of those people that wouldn't be happy with a bare-minimum or mid-grade PC. I'd HAVE to go all out and get some overpowered beast with full racing rig with 3-monitor setup.

I really want to get into PC sim racing, but I'm one of those people that wouldn't be happy with a bare-minimum or mid-grade PC. I'd HAVE to go all out and get some overpowered beast with full racing rig with 3-monitor setup.

Take a walk on the dark side :-). I don't have a rig but I have a pretty beefy pc and triple screen setup.

Well first of all, there's a distinct lack of force feedback in the center so if you're going straight, it feels like a deadzone but its not actually a deadzone. You can move the wheel and the car will respond but there's absolutely ZERO feed back for a few degrees around center which just takes the immersion right out. No other PC racing sim or even GT5 or GT6 is this way, its just completely lifeless around the center. I also don't like that as you start to lose grip the force feedback just goes away. I assume that they were trying to simulate the tires losing traction and sliding but to have no feedback at all, the wheel just goes limp, sliding or not there's going to be some friction. Then I don't like that the car feels like its trying to do the opposite of what you're telling it do, it almost feels like the FFB is inverted but not quite to that extreme. I'm guessing they were trying to simulate the physics of the car rolling but it feels very wrong compared to all other sims and even Gran Turismo so either Forza 5 is the only game that got FFB right and all other sims got it wrong, or Forza 5 got it wrong. Being that is feels completely counter-intuitive, I'm inclined to believe Forza 5 is wrong which is a shame because its hard to go back to using a gamepad controller after you've been using a wheel for a while and I use a wheel for most all driving games and all sims.

And its clearly not the Thrustmaster TX wheel because that wheel is just outstanding on all of the PC racing sims, even better than my T500RS.

Wow, that's an awesome deal! I'd like to hear any feedback you may have on the GTE wheel over the stock 458 wheel.

I have the GTE rim on my TX. I like it a lot better than the stock 458 Italia rim. That being said, there are pros and cons to both. The stock Italia rims feels and looks cheap however the part of the rim that you actually grip, the sides are rubber coated and feels just fine, its only when you touch any of the buttons, the center of the rim or the very top and bottom of the rim that you feel the cheapness of the plastic. It also flexes just a little under heavy FFB which was probably my biggest reason for going with the GTE rim. The GTE rim is heavy and strong, I like the size of it, just slightly smaller than the GT rim on the T500RS and about the same size as the Italia rim. It feels extremely solid in your hands which I like a lot. The downside to the GTE rim is lack of buttons, the stock Italia wheel has twice as many buttons and its great having all of those buttons at your fingertips to map for so many functions. The last thing is that because the GTE rim is heavier, it does affect the FFB slightly. The stock Italia rim feels lightning quick to change directions and provides the most subtle feedback, the GTE rim feels a little more damped due to the added weight. I hated this at first but after I got used to it, I wouldn't go back to the stock Italia rim. The extra buttons are really the only thing I miss from the stock Italia rim.

Last edited:
You got an excellent wheel to start, might as well go the extra mile - you only live once 👍

Well first of all, there's a distinct lack of force feedback in the center so if you're going straight, it feels like a deadzone but its not actually a deadzone. You can move the wheel and the car will respond but there's absolutely ZERO feed back for a few degrees around center which just takes the immersion right out. No other PC racing sim or even GT5 or GT6 is this way, its just completely lifeless around the center. I also don't like that as you start to lose grip the force feedback just goes away. I assume that they were trying to simulate the tires losing traction and sliding but to have no feedback at all, the wheel just goes limp, sliding or not there's going to be some friction. Then I don't like that the car feels like its trying to do the opposite of what you're telling it do, it almost feels like the FFB is inverted but not quite to that extreme. I'm guessing they were trying to simulate the physics of the car rolling but it feels very wrong compared to all other sims and even Gran Turismo so either Forza 5 is the only game that got FFB right and all other sims got it wrong, or Forza 5 got it wrong. Being that is feels completely counter-intuitive, I'm inclined to believe Forza 5 is wrong which is a shame because its hard to go back to using a gamepad controller after you've been using a wheel for a while and I use a wheel for most all driving games and all sims.

And its clearly not the Thrustmaster TX wheel because that wheel is just outstanding on all of the PC racing sims, even better than my T500RS.

Just wanted to add an update. While I do still think that there's a bit of a FFB deadzone around center, it can be reduced some by lowering the degree of rotation of the wheel in the controller setup menu. Its better, but still not as good as I would like.

But here's the real reason I wanted to update this post. A few nights ago, I decided to try adjusting some of the vehicle settings to see how the FFB reacted and I was just about floored that the vehicles settings make a HUGE difference in the way the FFB feels. Adjusting the differential on a vehicle can totally change the way the car feels through FFB, unfortunately for many vehicles this requires you to purchase the race differential so that you have full adjustability. What I found was that my complaints with most vehicles in the FFB area and how it feels like the cars are pulling the opposite direction than they should seem to have a lot do with differential lock-up. For instance in a rear diff car, when you lower the rear differential deceleration setting, it almost completely eliminates lift-throttle oversteer. It states this specifically in the description but its something I've never noticed with a standard controller. With a wheel though, it makes a world of difference. Apparently what was happening is that the deceleration diff setting was often too high causing the diff to lock-up under deceleration thus causing the car to lose control.

Anyway, I just wanted to update this because when the diff settings are adjusted, you can totally change the feel of the vehicle and the FFB actually becomes very good. I've been enjoying the Hell out of this game since discovering this. I never would have thought that the diff settings had such a strong impact on the FFB of the wheel but it certainly does. I recommend anyone with a TX try playing with the vehicle diff settings and see how much it changes the way the car feels through the wheel.

Just wanted to add an update. While I do still think that there's a bit of a FFB deadzone around center, it can be reduced some by lowering the degree of rotation of the wheel in the controller setup menu. Its better, but still not as good as I would like.

But here's the real reason I wanted to update this post. A few nights ago, I decided to try adjusting some of the vehicle settings to see how the FFB reacted and I was just about floored that the vehicles settings make a HUGE difference in the way the FFB feels. Adjusting the differential on a vehicle can totally change the way the car feels through FFB, unfortunately for many vehicles this requires you to purchase the race differential so that you have full adjustability. What I found was that my complaints with most vehicles in the FFB area and how it feels like the cars are pulling the opposite direction than they should seem to have a lot do with differential lock-up. For instance in a rear diff car, when you lower the rear differential deceleration setting, it almost completely eliminates lift-throttle oversteer. It states this specifically in the description but its something I've never noticed with a standard controller. With a wheel though, it makes a world of difference. Apparently what was happening is that the deceleration diff setting was often too high causing the diff to lock-up under deceleration thus causing the car to lose control.

Anyway, I just wanted to update this because when the diff settings are adjusted, you can totally change the feel of the vehicle and the FFB actually becomes very good. I've been enjoying the Hell out of this game since discovering this. I never would have thought that the diff settings had such a strong impact on the FFB of the wheel but it certainly does. I recommend anyone with a TX try playing with the vehicle diff settings and see how much it changes the way the car feels through the wheel.
Worth a try as I haven't played FM5 in ages, just didn't feel good with a wheel after getting use to PC sims. What car and settings have to tried, I'd like to give it a shot (thinking of selling my XB1)?

Worth a try as I haven't played FM5 in ages, just didn't feel good with a wheel after getting use to PC sims. What car and settings have to tried, I'd like to give it a shot (thinking of selling my XB1)?

I agree that its not going to be quite as good as most PC sims, but like I said, its a world of difference once you change the differential settings and lower the wheel rotation. I also noticed this game is pretty brutal in regards to tires. Each tire upgrade makes a huge difference when driving with a wheel.

Any car will work just fine, just upgrade to race differential so you can have complete control over the diff. I'd recommend starting with something in a D or C class so that the power is manageable and you can actually feel what's going on.

Before you sell the XBO, you might consider Forza Horizon 2 is coming next month and I would just about bet my house we'll get Forza 6 next year.

My wheel )

Attachments

• DSC04266.JPG
    DSC04266.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
  • DSC04255.JPG
    DSC04255.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
Back