Ti(y)re choice and other newb questions

• Thread starter Sander 001
  • 18 comments
Hi everybody,
New to PC2 and I’d like to use soft slicks but also have it so that it sets Automatic by Weather. How do I do this?

Also, I’m doing the German GT3 championship and I picked the McLaren. Bad car? I don’t see many record times with it, it’s mostly the Ferrari.

Thanks everybody

Automatic by weather in edit setup. Will probably only set tires to soft when it's 20 ° Celsius or lower, using sifts above that the tires will lose grip fast. Hards work best in most conditions above 20-25° C in the 1.75-1.8 bar tire pressure range for gt3 cars. The 650s gt3 has been slow since patch3, I stopped using it.

Automatic by weather has always been a bit dodgy when it comes to deciding hard or softs depending on track temps and race distance.

And it certainly doesn't seem to have been tinkered with after the new slick tire models came out.

Doing rd.1 of the UK GT3 championships at Oulton Park in the 488 Ferrari and I cannot get the tire temperatures up, not even after 9 laps and getting the brakes to 900C. Also, I'm fishtailing nearly through every corner.

It's on Automatic by Weather and it refuses to put on softs, even though it's 16C weather.

So frustrated

Doing rd.1 of the UK GT3 championships at Oulton Park in the 488 Ferrari and I cannot get the tire temperatures up, not even after 9 laps and getting the brakes to 900C. Also, I'm fishtailing nearly through every corner.

It's on Automatic by Weather and it refuses to put on softs, even though it's 16C weather.

So frustrated
You have to manually save your setup if you only change your tyres (a little bug), then go back into setup & select your saved profile.

Last edited:
Did an online yesterday round Zolder, cloudy going into heavy rain. Rain started lightly, went into pits with 'Automatic by weather' selected as strategy, watched the pit crew put on wets (with the little dots on them, so no doubt they were wets) went out on track and proceeded to act like a Zamboni..! Checked the tires, they were soft slicks :crazy: Pitted again as it rained even harder, watched them put wets, went out again, this time they were wets.

What the Fangio?!

Just have a wet tire pit strategy instead of automatic by weather. If it's raining lightly do real life drivers always choose wets? No, they bank on the chance it doesn't saturate the track completely or stops all together and will stay on slicks. 'Recommended doesn't mean 'mind reader pit crew '.

Hi again

I'm playing at 58 AI difficulty (don't judge) and I'm much faster than the AI in slow speed corners and the AI is much faster than me in high speed corners.

Is that normal or am I doing something wrong?

Just have a wet tire pit strategy instead of automatic by weather. If it's raining lightly do real life drivers always choose wets? No, they bank on the chance it doesn't saturate the track completely or stops all together and will stay on slicks. 'Recommended doesn't mean 'mind reader pit crew '.

No, I think you missed the issue. I watched the pit crew put on wets. But once on track, they mysteriously turned into slicks.

And the weather is preset. The game KNOWS the second half of the race is full-on wet. Don't need a mind reader... IRL a crew chief can look at the radar just like anyone can. Race was set from dry cloudy to full driving rain. But why were wets put on visually, but not put on by the game..?

Project Bugs2, LOL

No, I think you missed the issue. I watched the pit crew put on wets. But once on track, they mysteriously turned into slicks.

And the weather is preset. The game KNOWS the second half of the race is full-on wet. Don't need a mind reader... IRL a crew chief can look at the radar just like anyone can. Race was set from dry cloudy to full driving rain. But why were wets put on visually, but not put on by the game..?

Project Bugs2, LOL

No, I understand the issue. Yes it graphically showed grooved tires, that's a bug. But recommended tires shouldn't be trusted for what's upcoming, but how the track condition currently is. You knew it was going to rain, that one's one you.

Use common senseLOL

A bug would be having something called Automatic by Weather, and it NOT putting on tires automatically by weather!

Yes, it is on me. I failed to memorize the War and Peace length list of bugs that plague the game. I failed to understand that, even when the game SHOWS you something, you can't trust it being so. I failed to remember that this game was coded by secondary school dropouts. LOL

A bug would be having something called Automatic by Weather, and it NOT putting on tires automatically by weather!

Yes, it is on me. I failed to memorize the War and Peace length list of bugs that plague the game. I failed to understand that, even when the game SHOWS you something, you can't trust it being so. I failed to remember that this game was coded by secondary school dropouts. LOL

I don't know how you continue to fail at understanding a simple point. You originally stated you change tires when light rain started, why assume the game would put on wets automatically? Are full on wets necessary with light rain just starting? Just because you have rain slotted as showing up soon? What kind of stupid game design decision would that be having the game choose tires for you based on what track conditions would turn into eventually instead of what's needed now. Just choose wets.

And so what if the game graphically shows grooved tires instead of slicks? Yes, shame it's graphically inaccurate but you can't do anything about it once the pit stop starts anyway.

Calling the developers secondary school dropouts? How mature and insightful of you. And good job posting in every thread possible pushing your agenda of derailing every conversation into bashing the game.

Obviously your invested enough in a game coded by secondary school dropouts to pull this crap here and the official forums as well.

I guess the guys in other games that don't screw up the visual difference between slicks and wets must be college professors, then? LOL

When a race has only two weather slots, cloudy and full rain, you don't NEED to guess when to put wets on. You put them on at the first sign of rain. I guess I went to college, right?

SMS's pit bugs are numerous and amateur. Watch a race against AI quickly become a race against yourself as none of them pit correctly. Watch the pit crew correctly assume you need wets, put them on visually, and then you find out they can't even get the visuals to match what they did. By your reckoning, if light rain doesn't deserve wets, it doesn't deserve wets being put on visually EITHER. Unless incompetently programmed.

You can't have it both ways...

What’s the deal with these manufacturer testing grounds or invite events? I tried the Porsche and McLaren events and when it starts to rain, it becomes an absolute disaster. I can’t even keep the car straight on the straightaway! Braking distances increase 10 fold. I tried different tires but there’s no wet option (because these are all weather road tires I guess)

All that might be oke if it were not for the fact that the AI seems not bothered by the rain at all!

I guess the guys in other games that don't screw up the visual difference between slicks and wets must be college professors, then? LOL

When a race has only two weather slots, cloudy and full rain, you don't NEED to guess when to put wets on. You put them on at the first sign of rain. I guess I went to college, right?

SMS's pit bugs are numerous and amateur. Watch a race against AI quickly become a race against yourself as none of them pit correctly. Watch the pit crew correctly assume you need wets, put them on visually, and then you find out they can't even get the visuals to match what they did. By your reckoning, if light rain doesn't deserve wets, it doesn't deserve wets being put on visually EITHER. Unless incompetently programmed.

You can't have it both ways...

The guys in the other games screw up bigger than visual bugs, there's other matters at hand.

Watch any endurance race you do not necessarily put wets on at the first sight of rain. You base it on forecast, when the heavy rain will come (if it even will), how much it will saturate the track, and what tires your opponents are on or if they're even going to pit for wets. It's a game of strategy. Don't let the game decide your fate. Micromanage your race strategy, you know how temperamental racing simulations can be.

The a.i. pit correctly in my game (most of the time), care to elaborate?

So frustrated

Just go with a soft set-up. The rule of thumb is if the temps are below 100 F use softs and if above go with hard unless you are going to do one or two hot laps.

I avoid letting the game make a choice for me as it will screw you up if you don't pay attention.

Tire temps have been an issue from day 1 in this game.

After hundreds of online races, and now beginning to do lengthy single player races, I’ve figured out what works for with tires.

My default is to use Soft Tires for everything (this is mostly GT3 and GT4). The only time I use hard tires is if the track temp (not ambient) is above 30’C, and even then, only on some circuits.

Circuits with high load corners, such as Watkins Glen, Sonoma, Brno, Silverstone, Road America, COTA, Hockenheim, Algarve, Dubai, etc, these are where I’ll use Hard Tires above 30’C. Circuits like Monza, Imola, Long Beach, Zhuhai, Bathurst, Daytona, Fuji, etc, I’ll usually run Soft Tires unless it’s like 50’C track temp. Even then, at Monza, it’s softs all day every day.

The only issue I ever have with tires is overheating the loaded front tire. Never have any issues with the rear tires, other than sometimes they’re too cold.

In all my miles, I have noticed the tires, across almost al catagories, follow a bit of a pattern. Perhaps a bit realistic, but imo they over simplified things for the game.

Basically, it goes like this. Lap 1, everything is a little bit greasy. Not a lot, just a bit. By lap 3, once temps are up, you get maximum grip from the tires. From lap 3-6/7ish, things start to get really greasy. In most online races, this is where most people lose it, crash, then quit. After lap 7/8, with some fuel burnt off and rubber layed down, the tires come back to you, and you get near perfect grip levels for the last few laps.

I just did a 30min Super Trofeo race last night, same pattern. Little greasy, good grip, very greasy and slick, great grip to the finish.

The middle stage where the tires temporarily go off, this is the key phase of the race. If you can maintain a reasonable pace, but more importantly keep your tire temps in check through this phase (very easy to over drive and cook the fronts here), then the second half of the race becomes a breeze.

I’ve noticed the exact same pattern, online and offline, short races, long races, on both the hard and soft tires.

The guys in the other games screw up bigger than visual bugs, there's other matters at hand.

Watch any endurance race you do not necessarily put wets on at the first sight of rain. You base it on forecast, when the heavy rain will come (if it even will), how much it will saturate the track, and what tires your opponents are on or if they're even going to pit for wets. It's a game of strategy. Don't let the game decide your fate. Micromanage your race strategy, you know how temperamental racing simulations can be.

The a.i. pit correctly in my game (most of the time), care to elaborate?

PC2's bug list is pages long, it's not like inconsistency between tires in pit changes and tires actually put on is PC2's biggest bug by any stretch of the imagination. Asturbo's thread at SMS's forum should be required reading. All in all, I dare say you would be hard pressed to find a buggier racing game. No, other games have problems, but that doesn't excuse SMS. Biting off more than they can chew seems to be their modus operandi...

And no, when the forecast (read 'weather slot') is driving rain (not 'random') you don't need a meteorologist to tell you to put on wets. Plain and simple, it's raining, it's going to keep raining, I go into the pits on Automatic by Weather, I see the pit crew put on wets, I should have wets on when I leave.

Racing games aren't temperamental. The designers of racing games are temperamental. Six months of listening to their customers (yes, we PAID for the features that don't work) and they hide their heads in the sand and refuse to talk to their customers any more, refuse to provide detailed patch notes even after release, and cower behind a wall of silence as each patch fixes some things and introduces other newer bugs.

And it's people rushing to their defense when their flaws are pointed out that enables them. Don't be an enabler...

Back