Time Attack AMG GTS

• Thread starter fortbo
  • 2 comments
United States
Chicago
fortbo
fortbo
I think it’s about time this car gets its own thread. As some of you know, I’ve been racing this car for the past year or so in time attack, with my previous car being a B7 S4 to the same rule set.
That car has had about 6 years or so of track time and it was pretty maxed out on what it could be so around 2 years ago I was looking at options for the ultimate road legal time attack car since one of the major rules in the class I race in is that the car has to be registered for road use.

After going through numerous options I ended up going with an AMG GTS for a few different reasons. It’s very easy to get power with this platform, it handles incredibly and in my opinion the best performance and performance potential for the price point. On top of that, I’m all about unique track builds and the AMG GTS, even though capable, is something you rarely see being tracked let alone in a competition setting.
CBA743AE-C323-4A9C-BAA0-B72ED5932163.jpeg

Starting out with a blank canvas last October, the first thing to focus on was getting together a game plan as to what the car exactly needed in order to be competitive that coming spring once the season started. Initially the plan was to run the car mostly stock but that plan changed very quickly. I knew in order to be even remotely competitive, we needed downforce, better suspension, power, tires, and brakes.

Having seen that APR makes a wing for this car, I got in contact with them and they were more than happy to be apart of the build, so not only were we able to get the rear down force sorted, they also supplied us with a custom front splitter and carbon GTR Pro vents. So we combined that with a set of splitter diffusers from Professional Awesome Racing. Things at this point were looking much more promising for a competitive first season.
878A1E00-DDE6-4B30-8005-4900E794B122.jpeg

With the aero sorted, the next step was suspension, personally my favorite part about the car. Verkline helped out with their tubular front subframe and KW made us a set of custom competition coilovers, essentially the same setup the GT4 car uses but built to our tire and downforce specs, although those weren’t on the car by the first event in February at Circuit of the Americas due to supply chain issues.
640DB1F5-4A9D-4B50-BB39-CFE69883084A.jpeg

163E5D4C-CB0F-4411-AC0C-2CE69FA8415A.jpeg

After cota, we were able to get the new livery put on, new downpipes, a full custom straight piped exhaust, a custom tune from eurocharged putting the car close to 600 whp, and finally the KW suspension on the car.
0A15A960-0402-4FC1-BC62-0135B5783BE8.jpeg

Recently, the car received new Titan 7 TS5 wheels, a new intake, and a new tune to run the car on E30 putting it right around 630 WHP. In the coming months it will have new turbos in order to get the car in the 720 WHP range.
So as the build list goes, it’s on KW Competition 2A coilovers, a Verkline subframe, APR aero, Titan 7 wheels, 285 rear RE71RS tires and 275 fronts, chromoly cage from Studio RSR, Girodisc brake rotors, Counter Space Garage brake pads, and a Black Boost intake.
Here’s some more pictures of the car!
1180595F-8674-4C41-AC4B-7D0D25DB82FC.jpeg

9C5B31B4-4E7F-4B5C-A4BA-2D58A60C5DAB.jpeg

795DB720-0359-4B97-895B-4790C8B56AAF.jpeg

70F22F2C-8321-46C0-A6DE-B91DD6DFD4F8.jpeg

Last edited:
It looks like a real performer! And love how much work you and your team put in the car!
Thanks! It was definitely a lot of work and long nights to get it to this point. The car is already going to be getting some major aero revisions and power upgrades this off-season. We’re within a few seconds of GT4 car pace and we’ll be right there if not faster next year while still on semi slick 200TW tires.

Last edited:
Back