Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 29,370 comments
I don't think it does, because I've not experienced that sort of variance or seen overhead conditions change.

But should be easy to test. In Tidgney's video you see clearly how cloud cover changes. Do a few restarts in TT mode and see if overhead conditions change.
no need to check the sky, I can put laps consistently with in 2tenths in a session. Reset the tt and be 5 tenths slower, while still be consistent. So this problem is most definetly also in the TT's

Same thing happens in the online TT's.
The conditions do not change is online time trials (no wind, static clouds, no changes in air/track temperatures, no time progression) so what do you think could possibly cause this? In Daily Race sessions it's somewhat understandable because some sessions are cloudier (and colder?) than others but in online time trials all sessions are exactly the same when it comes to track/weather conditions.

Edit: My lap times are usually quite consistent (can get within 0.1-0.2 sec each lap) and I have not noticed any differences between sessions in online time trials.

Last edited:
Interesting reply's here, i'll let you boys handle this, cause you are all to damn fast, we would prob not even notice it in laptime :lol: :lol:

Altho i'm def going to say that i had a lot of sidewind at the Catalunya sausage on my PB lap!! :lol::lol:

Any thought on the next one?....

I smell a Civic at Tsukuba :banghead::lol:

Thank you @Tidgney for making this, hope that this will be fixed fast.
I have been saying this for a long time, but I'm just the "guy with a tin foil hat" soooo... :lol: :cheers:

I saw the video indeed, if it is true ( and it seems like it, because he is kind of very consistent in his driving ) this is a big deal?!!
And does the same apply to the online time trials??
I personally haven't seen much difference in time trials but I've not been as hard at them as the practice sessions so I may dig into that a bit more as that could arguably be more relevant for those on the border of silver/gold and bronze/silver.

But in terms of the evidence, I've been trying to get it for awhile and I've either forgotten or it's not been as important (Changing session). Both of the pieces of footage I did show restarting the session where save gameplays rather than live recording (Basically the same thing it's just the Playstation records X amount of previous live time) as that's when I remembered. The Sardegna one I nearly forgot as I jumped into a race and was like "Oh No" but fortunately it was within the 1 hour. But the critical part of the evidence was the time spent before hand so watkins you can see the increase in mileage and then suddenly 1 restart and I beat the lap 3 times in a row. That's not normal, and the speed difference is so obvious with that footage it was mad to me.

Glad I could bring it to the attention of those that had the thought or were wondering what was going on sometimes.

I personally haven't seen much difference in time trials but I've not been as hard at them as the practice sessions so I may dig into that a bit more as that could arguably be more relevant for those on the border of silver/gold and bronze/silver.

But in terms of the evidence, I've been trying to get it for awhile and I've either forgotten or it's not been as important (Changing session). Both of the pieces of footage I did show restarting the session where save gameplays rather than live recording (Basically the same thing it's just the Playstation records X amount of previous live time) as that's when I remembered. The Sardegna one I nearly forgot as I jumped into a race and was like "Oh No" but fortunately it was within the 1 hour. But the critical part of the evidence was the time spent before hand so watkins you can see the increase in mileage and then suddenly 1 restart and I beat the lap 3 times in a row. That's not normal, and the speed difference is so obvious with that footage it was mad to me.

Glad I could bring it to the attention of those that had the thought or were wondering what was going on sometimes.
There sometimes is a lot thrown on the table but now it's clearly visible, so that's good!
I never knew, i'm only doing timetrials and almost nothing else so maby that's why i didn't know :lol:
you top guys are far more consistent so you'll notice it far more often and sooner, if i'm 2 tenths off on 4 laps in a row i think ",... damn, not my day" throw my pad on the couch and try again later. :lol:

But Qualifying, trial, or whenever, it shouldn't be happening, so great job pointing this out mate!

Interesting reply's here, i'll let you boys handle this, cause you are all to damn fast, we would prob not even notice it in laptime :lol: :lol:

Altho i'm def going to say that i had a lot of sidewind at the Catalunya sausage on my PB lap!! :lol::lol:

Any thought on the next one?....

I smell a Civic at Tsukuba :banghead::lol:
Would be fun if they put that tuned civic on tokyo expressway... but a lot of us will probably screem bloody murder (me included) 🤣 🤣

Last edited:
Would be fun if they put that tuned civic on tokyo expressway... but a lit of us will probably screem bloody murder (me included) 🤣 🤣

Out of curiosity: Has there already been a time trial with the only time attack car in the game, the Isle of Man Subaru? I have never used it so far for anything.

The same ist for the cup cars of Renault and Mazda. I would like to give them a try.

New test today at Dragon and new improvement at 1'39'044 with optimal time at 1'38'711 with again Mercedes-AMG GT3 .
At this pace maybe I would manage to be under 1'39 before the end of the TT or no !!!!🤣🤣🤣

16956515939052944901033549075741.jpg

I'm too inconsistent to be able to do a systematic study of this myself, but I have suspected that there was something up a few times.

Goodwood is a recent example. I was really struggling with this, and did the old 'come back tomorrow and start fresh', which usually goes well. I was pretty shocked to see that I couldn't get anywhere near my own best time, let alone improve to a Gold.

I got the gold in the end, and I reckon it was down to simply getting better at the track - but it's the 'backward' session that had me suspicious.

-

Also, is time progression a thing in TTs, and does that potentially affect your chances i.e. if it starts to get late, does the track slow down?

-

Great work @Tidgney, good to see someone with the skill and consistency needed to obtain this kind of evidence to actually bother to systematically investigate it 👍

Last edited:
I tried the Porsche today for DTS, and did 1:39.8 with an optimal of 1:39.4, improving on the 1:40.0 I'd done with the Nissan GTR. I found it a lot more enjoyable to drive than the Nissan. I'm still not sure it's worth spending the time on it, given the absence of any credit return per lap driven (unlike Forza rivals, for example), but I'll probably have another try before it finishes, maybe with the '18 Supra which seems like it must be the fastest option given its domination of the top of the leaderboard.

Till now I've not driven everyone's preferred Supra. I tried a few Gr.3 cars. The RSR is kind of stable & doesn't twitch on stepping up the gas.

As of now, I've upped my best time to 1:39:1xx in the Hurican Gr.3 '15 car. It's so stable & doesn't oversteer as most of the cars.

I even tried the Supra '18 which is the preferred car but the car does twitch upon hitting the gas on slow turn exits. Why is this car the preferred car? Is it because of the hard suspension which makes it a breeze to travel over the kerbs?

I had even tried the AMG '20 car. It was a little stiff but I enjoyed driving this car as it was very responsive through the turns & the death chicane. Apart from the Hurican, this car was the best for me through that chicane. In fact, the AMG handles better through the death chicane but the Hurican is a better car overall.

The conditions do not change is online time trials (no wind, static clouds, no changes in air/track temperatures, no time progression) so what do you think could possibly cause this? In Daily Race sessions it's somewhat understandable because some sessions are cloudier (and colder?) than others but in online time trials all sessions are exactly the same when it comes to track/weather conditions.

Edit: My lap times are usually quite consistent (can get within 0.1-0.2 sec each lap) and I have not noticed any differences between sessions in online time trials.
Tested the GR3 TT today, even thou I hate end chicane :lol: Got 1:44.8 with the Ferrari.
What you are saying about the sky I do agree. But for me, there is a change in the overall grip when I restart the session.

Now that you know this is possibility, even if you dont believe it, could you test it? See if the restarting the session change anything.
But do it like in the vid, so exit the session and restart it that way.

Back to time trialing business!

Started with long overdue movie TT.
Gold in around an hour of work (and 90% red laps)? I'll take it!

RedBullRingMovieTT-almost.jpg

Expected a lot more fight with this, being a little rusty and all... There is room for improvement in that lap. With a lot more laps invested the 29s could be doable. Not sure I'm ready to invest yet, will tackle Catalunya first and then we'll see...

Good to be back. :cheers:

View attachment 1290027

Expected a lot more fight with this, being a little rusty and all... There is room for improvement in that lap. With a lot more laps invested the 29s could be doable. Not sure I'm ready to invest yet, will tackle Catalunya first and then we'll see...

Very happy to see you here again after a long time !!!!🥳🥳🥳🤣🤣. Yes it's a good back !!!!👏👏👏 bravo mon ami !!!!

View attachment 1290027

Congratulations! I had a similar experience getting into the gold today. Cheers

Last edited:
Dragon Trail is a tough one! I was stuck at 1:39.249 for awhile, trying the 911, 650S, Huracan, GT-R, Supra, AMG, and finally with the 458 I was able to get into the 1:38s! Hope it holds up over the next 9 days, because it sure wasn't easy to get to.

Attachments

• 18ace0069bd26-screenshotUrl.png
    18ace0069bd26-screenshotUrl.png
    290.4 KB · Views: 9
I'm struggling with the Dragon Trail TT, although I can see from the replays that my definition of 'Track Limit' is clearly not the case here.

I suck at this circuit anyway (as evinced by my failure to gold to CE so far), however it does appear that it is necessary to almost literally cut every corner at this track to have any chance of a gold. I guess the track limit here is all four wheels over the outer edge of the rumble strip??

I'm struggling with the Dragon Trail TT, although I can see from the replays that my definition of 'Track Limit' is clearly not the case here.

I suck at this circuit anyway (as evinced by my failure to gold to CE so far), however it does appear that it is necessary to almost literally cut every corner at this track to have any chance of a gold. I guess the track limit here is all four wheels over the outer edge of the rumble strip??
Pretty much....but be very careful when braking while you are on the rumble strip. It can unsettle the car. You can definitely get gold or even well below without braking on the strip, but you do need to cut the curbs to widen the entry.

Last edited:
Ofcourse, no problem, I'm still having trouble with the GTR, it has real potential but I think it's not the easiest 🤣

I saved a few replays with I think a 38.8/38.7/38.6 named DGSGTR or username ofcourse 😁

More and faster will come when I have a bit of time 😁
Thanks @Gomario JSP
Following your ghost in today session I had a very minor pb improvement (2/100), but a huge one in ideal (9/10).
Now my ideal is 39.7x
I just need to nail the whole thing and don't mess it up at the you-know-where turn

Woot! Into the 1:37's at Dragon Trail. This, despite a subpar sector 1 where I was over a tenth off of the best I know I can do there (tops I can get through with a 33.3xx). I know exactly where I went wrong, though, failing to get over the inside curbing coming out of the first chicane. Running wide I'm sure cost me a tenth. And it was a butt puckering experience going through the COD on this lap!

IMG_2400.jpg

Curse you, sector 1! :lol:
IMG_2399.jpg

Woot! Into the 1:37's at Dragon Trail. This, despite a subpar sector 1 where I was over a tenth off of the best I know I can do there (tops I can get through with a 33.3xx). I know exactly where I went wrong, though, failing to get over the inside curbing coming out of the first chicane. Running wide I'm sure cost me a tenth. And it was a butt puckering experience going through the COD on this lap!

View attachment 1290078

View attachment 1290077

Looking at your replay, I can match your 1st and 2nd sector....it was the cod where I'm losing out. My PB lap I was only sorta got it right...pretty sure I can get into the 37s if I somehow managed to nail it.

Didn't play GT7 today at all (stupid armor core 6 boss), maybe I can give it another go tomorrow.

Finally started the GT film TT and the Catalunya one. Red Bull Ring is an achilles’ heel of mine so I’m satisfied with a 1’28.748 even though there was potential for a bit more. Turn 6 was quite scruffy for example. Definitely not returning though. I struggle finding pleasure in this track. And I hope we can be spared of RBR for a really good while now given that this was the fourth TT apperance of RBR.

Then I thought I should give Catalunya a run as well since that one’s almost over already before I head to bed. Pulled out a nice lap to bank on in the AMG ’20 which I had as an active car at that moment and gave it a try which felt good, 1’44.639. Will be returning to this one! I suppose the 458 is an obvious car to try as well. Any other favourites of the crowd here?

Kinda comical that in a short time span in both these TT’s I put myself 205th and 206th. At least I thought so. :D

18acf2d94911-screenshotUrl.png
18acf2dfc5287-screenshotUrl.png

18acf2e1f721-screenshotUrl.png

Last edited:
Finally started the GT film TT and the Catalunya one. Red Bull Ring is an achilles’ heel of mine so I’m satisfied with a 1’28.748 even though there was potential for a bit more. Turn 6 was quite scruffy for example. Definitely not returning though. I struggle finding pleasure in this track. And I hope we can be spared of RBR for a really good while now given that this was the fourth TT apperance of RBR.

Then I thought I should give Catalunya a run as well since that one’s almost over already before I head to bed. Pulled out a nice lap to bank on in the AMG ’20 which I had as an active car at that moment and gave it a try which felt good, 1’44.639. Will be returning to this one! I suppose the 458 is an obvious car to try as well. Any other favourites of the crowd here?

Kinda comical that in a short time span in both these TT’s I put myself 205th and 206th. At least I thought so. :D

View attachment 1290107View attachment 1290109

View attachment 1290108

You are clearly fast and based on the input you're doing it on a pad which is amazing. But I can't help noticing that you're coasting a bit before braking in both turns 2 and 3, or is that due to replay lag i'm not aware of ? When I used a pad I always used the analog stick for throttle/braking which could lead to a bit of coasting whenever I brake. Is this the case with your situation?
Either way fantastic driving !

zjn
Thanks @Gomario JSP
Following your ghost in today session I had a very minor pb improvement (2/100), but a huge one in ideal (9/10).
Now my ideal is 39.7x
I just need to nail the whole thing and don't mess it up at the you-know-where turn
No problem mate anytime, i have the same most of the time but here on Dragons it's more than ever....., glue it all together is quite hard because of the CoD, if you have a good 1th and 2nd sector my brain wants to take it easy and secure my lap thru the CoD, but the time you miss on the straight after that is killing.
But practise makes perfect ( altho.... we hope it's going to be perfect )
What is do notice is that the 911 is far more easy to drive imo compared to the GTR, it's worth a try!

Congrats man!, it's possible for me, but it's not that easy this time :lol: :lol:
i'm struggling with my inconsistency in the first sectors already, and then we still have the Cod to full send otherwise that 37 is hell no getting there.
it's so frustrating, like this morning i had multiple 38.1, 38.2 and 38.3's but always invalid so my .309 is still live :banghead::irked:

Nice example....

This sums up my morning, S1 and S2 bad........ S3 fire and less paint on the car.....
nice laptime......, should have been a different colour tho :lol:

Realy thought i was going to make it but apparently scraped on entry :irked:

Last edited:
Back