Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 29,362 comments
As one Dave Mustaine would say, I got the certificate by the Skin o' My Teeth! :crazy:

dave mustaine guitar GIF
Welcome to the Club! :cheers:

Last edited:
I'm 1:39.808 and I am having the hardest time even getting within a second of that again. 😂😂😂 it's frustrating. I can get about the same time no matter what car I drive.
Before I was stuck at 39.9 thinking that's it.
Tried a few other cars that were very slippery, went back to RSR and it felt like glued (well, not quite but in comparison...)
Now I'm stuck at 39.1 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Welcome to the Club! :cheers:
Thanks! It's a tough one to get into! :cheers:
Awaiting your mystery merical lap that gets you into the 43s 🤣
I could have been in the low-mid 44s, but mistakes were made. I nearly stuffed it in the right hander before the carousel. My butt puckered as I slid to the outside of the turn. :nervous: I lost probably a couple tenths in Flugplatz getting my left wheels slightly onto the grass on exit. Then took it too easy coming into Aremberg. Sectors 3 and 4 felt amazing, though!

Thanks! It's a tough one to get into! :cheers:

I could have been in the low-mid 44s, but mistakes were made. I nearly stuffed it in the right hander before the carousel. My butt puckered as I slid to the outside of the turn. :nervous: I lost probably a couple tenths in Flugplatz getting my left wheels slightly onto the grass on exit. Then took it too easy coming into Aremberg. Sectors 3 and 4 felt amazing, though!
Such is the nature of the ring 🫠 The lap before my 44.3 was a 44.5....and that was after I messed up the twisty part between the carousels, losing nearly a full second. Ahh well ...I'm sure we will get it right eventually 🫡

Wow, I didn’t expect to get a near sub 1:01 on the Tsukuba TT so quickly, especially after hearing about how this Civic handles. I’m honestly a bit tempted to come back to this later to attempt to get into the one minute range.

023C88F3-8090-4898-94CB-7AF6C04E6464.png

As for the Nürburgring TT, I'll try to give it a go next week.

Last edited:
Managed to achieve a fabled sub 1:01 with the Civic around Tsukuba. 1:00.789 puts me in 132nd currently with at least another 0.15 in the optimal time. I may come back to this and try to break into the top 100, but finding the extra tenth required will likely be quite a challenge. I've always enjoyed lapping Tsukuba and I love myself a small lightweight Honda, however this car really needs sports softs as a minimum tyre, it will light the front tyres up way too easily with mediums.

Also gave the FL5 CTR a go around the Nurburging. Only doing 2 laps I wasn't expecting too much so will happily take a 7:47.518. This time puts me 1055th, exactly one place behind @Dan_Tes in 1054th on the global leaderboard. Once I start devoting more time to learning the car on the the Ring, I'm sure I will be able to find the 3 seconds I need to beat the lap record time. I really enjoyed the FL5 around here, its really a pleasure to drive and the suspension has obviously been dialled exactly for the ring. I will be devoting as much of my GT7 time to getting that 7:44.881 as I can, I really want that certificate from Honda :lol:

The only TT I ever quite "struggled" to get gold was the Olympic one. I just don't understand that freaking RCR Civic! It just keeps understeering mid corner even off the throttle at slow speeds... When I'm using ghosts from some gold times, I don't know how they find the rotation on slow corners. It's quite frustrating.

Edit : Turns out my own Civic's handling is broken because of my custom wheels setup? I rented one just to see and I beaten my best time by 0.7 seconds on the second lap. Now I don't have that ridiculous slow speed understeer.

Second edit : My bad, I shaved 1.7 seconds** on the second lap! I'm at 1.00.807, good for the 145th time. So yeah, if you feel that you struggle more than you should for that one, make sure you put the stock wheels size. I don't think the wheel diameter changes something in that case, but the wider wheels is a no no.

Last edited:
Had a quick go at the ‘Ring this evening. Just over 50 miles driven and just over half a second found, putting me on a 7:48.015. Given that my initial target was to get a ‘48, my current lap has some mistakes, and there are still a few days before we go on vacation, I’m going to push for a 7’46! Crack on!

Last edited:
@Evilmuffin this i kind of a whole different game fallowing another ghost, i normally only use my own ghost ( if i even have to use one ) but it's quite fun!, quite rewarding, and sometimes quite frustrating.
i completely hammer you in S1 ....., problem is there are a gazliilion others.... :lol:
sometimes i can keep up with your old ghost fairly good, and i drive towards you gaining, so you if you have a tidy lap, 43 easy

Had one lap that was it, 100% but invalidated on the LAST corner exit, tried again, dit lower my time but i'm not there yet.
realy do know my flaws now here so i know what to work on.

Downhills like Eschbach are killing me everytime, i have no idea how to enter, 3th? 4th?, and if i think, yeah, this is it, i go way to wide for lineup Brunnchen.

The struggle....... :lol::lol:

Tomorrow morning a new day ( again alarm at 6 just to drive the damn ring 🤣)

18af44ff97d8-screenshotUrl.jpg

lol

You may be right, I'm quite new to this, but it doesn't seem to work that way very often in TTs from my experience. The fastest times get established quite quickly and then you might see incremental improvements but not massive gains after the initial rush. I've not looked at it in detail, that's just how it seems to me from a few attempts. At no point have I posted a time (whether that be gold or silver) and then lost it at the last minute.

lol

You may be right, I'm quite new to this, but it doesn't seem to work that way very often in TTs from my experience. The fastest times get established quite quickly and then you might see incremental improvements but not massive gains after the initial rush. I've not looked at it in detail, that's just how it seems to me from a few attempts. At no point have I posted a time (whether that be gold or silver) and then lost it at the last minute.
There were a few times when the aliens flocked in late, dropping the WR considerably multiple times right before closing time. This cost me gold in at least 2 instances as I was either to slow to react or on track.

@Evilmuffin this i kind of a whole different game fallowing another ghost, i normally only use my own ghost ( if i even have to use one ) but it's quite fun!, quite rewarding, and sometimes quite frustrating.
i completely hammer you in S1 ....., problem is there are a gazliilion others.... :lol:
sometimes i can keep up with your old ghost fairly good, and i drive towards you gaining, so you if you have a tidy lap, 43 easy

Had one lap that was it, 100% but invalidated on the LAST corner exit, tried again, dit lower my time but i'm not there yet.
realy do know my flaws now here so i know what to work on.

Downhills like Eschbach are killing me everytime, i have no idea how to enter, 3th? 4th?, and if i think, yeah, this is it, i go way to wide for lineup Brunnchen.

The struggle....... :lol::lol:

Tomorrow morning a new day ( again alarm at 6 just to drive the damn ring 🤣)

View attachment 1292155
Sector one is always my week point. I know I can do 48.6 but I always stuff it up somewhere.

Spent 5 minutes on Tsukuba yesterday and managed an incredibly scruffy banker lap of 1:02:3. I’ve seen a lot about how tricky it is to thread a clean lap together in the Civic, and to an extent I’d agree (all of my 3 bankers were very messy!), but it certainly doesn’t seem like a tricky car to get a good time out of. As long as you’re not trying to drive it like a Group 3 car and you’re aware that it’s a mid 90’s front wheel drive hatchback with a whopper turbo and drive accordingly, it shouldn’t be too hard to get a superb time.

I’ll try again after work this evening, fingers crossed I actually manage to hit more than one apex per lap this time!

Back