Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 29,391 comments
Guys who has advice how to keep mental focus and shield off all external things that can influence lap so I can set best lap time possible. Example if I go in state of mind that I will give everything to beat PB then I kinda get stressed or excited and can make small mistakes of turning too early or too late and hence lose valuable time. But if my mind is relaxed then I can focus better and get faster time. Example here I hit sausage on very first lap and delete lap time and then I know next lap will not count, then I totally relax knowing that then I actually set much faster time. ( I do not watch sector times if someone wonders. ) Is there any article on web that someone can recommend?
View attachment 1331936
Drink wine!!

Seriously though it’s a real skill to keep calm and focus; all the fastest drivers seem to just be completely immune to pressure and it’s an amazing skill that maybe just can’t be learnt!

I sometimes get the heart pumping, arms stiffening up sensation especially when I start really improving my times significantly but I find it largely subsides the more and more I practice a TT to the point where most corners as fast as I can take them feel routine.

Actually this TT at DTG has been one of the worst for me for choking in the third sector mainly because it’s the most technical and also the one most likely to result in a random skid/spin/multiple roll disaster…

Just a polite reminder though @Barareklam that you are regularly one of the fastest drivers here and therefore one of the least in need of advice from the rest of us 😂😂

Today was largely frustrating but I FINALLY TIED IT ALL TOGETHER! I was in a slightly less comatose state you’ll be happy to know @Gomario JSP and got my super duper time which will do me now as hopefully it’s top 100 worthy 🙌🏽 (currently P69, giggidy)

IMG_5727.jpeg

IMG_5728.jpeg

Lost a bit of time going careful through the final corner after bafflingly binning it there many many many times but proper chuffed with that!!

Last edited:
Loving this time trial at Grand Valley. Looks like GTPlanet is dominating the leaderboards.

@P-Courty, talk about a photo finish:

View attachment 1331978
That's amazing.

You just need to keep pushing to gain 0.001 now, but that's all, no more than that is allowed ok? 😂

That goes for all of you on here, slow down please, it's not like it's a race or anything 🤣

This car is so unfriendly for the buttons input it's not even funny!
Yet I did manage to slide it inside those 3%... just.
View attachment 1331974
There is a bit of margin left there I feel and my frustration level is still low, so I'll try to improve on this result before the end.
I feel like this is going to be the same scenario as at the last TT on Mount Panorama !!!!
terrified-7.gif

You're going to overtake me on the last day and I'm not going to see you again !!!! 🤣🤣🤣
depassement-gold-coast.gif

Bravo mon ami !!!!!👏👏👏👏💪💪💪

This car is so unfriendly for the buttons input it's not even funny!
Yet I did manage to slide it inside those 3%... just.
View attachment 1331974
There is a bit of margin left there I feel and my frustration level is still low, so I'll try to improve on this result before the end.
Well my frustration is high here, still stuck at 1'58.429. I'm happy for your time though. You got just under the gold time!
Does anyone have a good replay where I can see where I'm losing time, it brakes kind of bad, it's a job trying to turn it the way I want it to. Lol, how many records does Jeddah have? I'm curious to know.

I'll post several videos of my best laps, that's all I can do so you all can look and give me good advice. I trust you all.

Seeing everyone enjoying the new TT. I think I'll move on from DTG, I'm pretty satisfied with my time there.

So time to hop in the Deuce!

I only planned on doing about 10 laps, but I was having a lot of fun. Pushed it a little longer. No ghosts other than my own. No lap guides or anything. Pretty pleased with my results.

View attachment 1331296View attachment 1331297

I wonder how much quicker I can get!
You’re literally only 3 thousandths ahead of me on the board lol. And no doubt that’s like 10 places at least. 😂

Well my frustration is high here, still stuck at 1'58.429. I'm happy for your time though. You got just under the gold time!
Does anyone have a good replay where I can see where I'm losing time, it brakes kind of bad, it's a job trying to turn it the way I want it to. Lol, how many records does Jeddah have? I'm curious to know.

I'll post several videos of my best laps, that's all I can do so you all can look and give me good advice. I trust you all.
It took me ages to get into the 58.2’s and I’m JUST into the gold times now and I THINK I’m safe… ☠️

The quickest drivers all seem to be absolute lunatics around here. Is that the actual way to drive it that quickly?? The last sequence of corners the guy was literally throwing it around like a ragdoll.

I tried the same thing and the next thing I know I’m up on two wheels and rolling the bloody thing! Was a cool thing to watch on the replay! 😂

Bravo my friend, very nice score (and lovely livery) :bowdown:
Thanks my friend. This TT is very enjoyable. The most time to be made is on that final turn leading up to the straight. Its really difficult to get it right. The ghosts just pull away from me. Clueless as to how its done so perfectly!

Credit to the person who created the livery and shared in showcase. Its the Tamiya branded livery.

Thanks my friend. This TT is very enjoyable.
Completly agree :)
The most time to be made is on that final turn leading up to the straight.
Absolutly agree ;)
Its really difficult to get it right.
100% agree :dopey:
The ghosts just pull away from me. Clueless as to how its done so perfectly!
Can't agree more :D
Credit to the person who created the livery and shared in showcase. Its the Tamiya branded livery.
I'm fascinated by all these creations and as a non-creative person, totally admirative to these creators. Kudos and thanks to them!

Last edited:
@Dan_Tes Yes whine!, i'll try that tomorrow morning at O- sixhundred 👍 :) :bowdown::bowdown::lol::lol:
Epic laps you are putting in mate, you make it look easy, very jaleouse!
( good to hear this wasn't all coma-state ..... makes me feel a bit better :lol::lol:)

I had a few Grand Valley laps this morning without the wine, i thought " the whiskey yesterday evening was prob enough )
For an hour i didn't hit a turn and could not get below .7xx's frustrated but kept going hoping for that window of focus.

Then the S2 kept getting better but left it on the table at S1.... always the same...

But had a decent run in the end, but with a VERY good example of cramping up

S2 @ .120 :confused:;);)......... but yeah.... again that freaking last turn, shoulders felt like concreet and just got to nerveouse.

Did ran a PB, but this one should have been in the .4xx....

Place 65 for now.... still no Muffin-territory.... @Evilmuffin

18de9851b0011-screenshotUrl.jpg

You’re literally only 3 thousandths ahead of me on the board lol. And no doubt that’s like 10 places at least. 😂
It's funny how that works. If you're not too deep into Gold territory, a couple tenths is worth thousands of places. But after my most recent session at Grand Valley, 2 tenths would move up about 100 places. Generally that's why I try to push beyond simply clearing Gold in most of the Time Trails.

Guilty as charged :D (even though it wasn't directed at me).

Here's a little something I've been working on for myself (I teased it a few weeks ago but I have since improved and automated it a bit).

View attachment 1331875

It tracks my progress over all TTs. Basically the same info as the personal results that @half_sourly sends out on request, only in graphical form. The dotted lines show the percentage of all players reaching gold, silver and bronze (so, lower equals harder) and the black line is my own performance.

Maybe we can make this available as a self-service in the future, but for now, if you're interested in your performance, just let me know. And don't hesitate, it literally only takes seconds of my time.
I've been doing something similar. I have different graph the on XLS (%position in the overall leaderbord, %delta time againstWR among those) and I'm working on a trend that should answer the question "Am I improving over the long run?".
It takes into a weighed consideration PersonalBest, Ideal, Overall ranking, Laps to reach the PB.
What I would basically like to see coming from this trend is "how easy" a reached a certain result and the fact that the given "certain result" is slowly improving.
Example: one year ago my typical TT of average difficulty started in bronze to slowly progress into safe silver. Now i start in dangerous silver to reach maybe 103,5% and it takes me less KM to do it.
The formula is still not as good as I like. May be the weight, may be the terms, who knows...

1709021429596.png

If you are interested we can leverage each other material.

I'm not expetcing everyone to understad or appreciate, this is exacly part of the plan

1709021729016.png

Just a polite reminder though @Barareklam that you are regularly one of the fastest drivers here and therefore one of the least in need of advice from the rest of us 😂😂
Yes please, nobody gives him a way to remain cool and focus, he is already fast enough 😅 imagine if he can master his emotions ? Half of the players who regularly get gold will have to be content with silver 🤣 (and I'll be in bronze for the rest of times)

You're going to overtake me on the last day and I'm not going to see you again !!!! 🤣🤣🤣

Ha ha, thank you, but this time it will be much harder as my optimal is around 53.2.
In theory I know where I'm loosing, but didn't yet figure out how to execute decent run without sliding away into oblivion, especially in this multi-apex horror corner, beside that there is still hairpin and two salamis on the way...

See Ya Goodbye GIF by MotorTrend

Dog Slide GIF by MOODMAN

Thanks everyone who replied and suggested how to keep mental focus to get best lap times.
I opened Formula1.com today and there is a new article, just about that how to keep mental focus.
If someone is interested, it is there. It does ask to log in, I have F1 TV subscription so it is unlocked for me, but I think you can register for free to read article.

Hope it helps more of us to get even better times.

Thanks everyone who replied and suggested how to keep mental focus to get best lap times.
I opened Formula1.com today and there is a new article, just about that how to keep mental focus.
If someone is interested, it is there. It does ask to log in, I have F1 TV subscription so it is unlocked for me, but I think you can register for free to read article.

Hope it helps more of us to get even better times.

That is very interesting mate!, i'll check it out asap, happen to have a subscription :)
maby we can learn something from it and dethrone Ebarhim for once :lol::lol:

Thanks!

Guys who has advice how to keep mental focus and shield off all external things that can influence lap so I can set best lap time possible. Example if I go in state of mind that I will give everything to beat PB then I kinda get stressed or excited and can make small mistakes of turning too early or too late and hence lose valuable time. But if my mind is relaxed then I can focus better and get faster time. Example here I hit sausage on very first lap and delete lap time and then I know next lap will not count, then I totally relax knowing that then I actually set much faster time. ( I do not watch sector times if someone wonders. ) Is there any article on web that someone can recommend?
we should all learn from the legendary Tarell Owens with his autogenic training tidbits....

you can find on youtube here at second 25 https://www. youtube. com/watch?v=LE0JF4wwkZg

"Who can make the play?" 🤣

All joking aside, I haven't read the article yet, but I wanted to say that very often for me it all starts with managing expectations and the goal.
Let me explain:
if I go into a session thinking that I have to get to a certain time, maybe even by a certain hour, which is then dinner time or bedtime, then that tends to be the antechamber of failure.

The "pursuit of confirmation" of the "pursuit of the goal" actually becomes the new goal (excuse the pun that may not render in English). In short, I spend my minute and a half of the lap on the track mentally checking if I am executing, and that is distracting.

I am much more successful when I go into a session thinking 1) that I can improve the time (and that is not a goal but an assertion), only if 2) I execute some small and very specific things.
point 2) comes from a cold analysis of where I need to improve (ex: break earlier there, use that trajectory there...)

In this way the time I am "distracted" from the goal pursuit is much more limited in the handful of seconds where through those specific goals. I think the duration of the goal-check effort also determines its characteristics. Prolonged effort leads to stress and distraction, short effort leads to focus and eventual reward for success and creates positive energy.

Last edited:
Back