Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 29,386 comments
Last edited:
Bit embarrassed to ask but what is trail breaking? ๐Ÿค” ๐Ÿ™ˆ
Trail braking is a driving and motorcycle riding technique where the brakes are used beyond the entrance to a turn, and then gradually released. Depending on a number of factors, the driver fully releases brake pressure at any point between turn-in and the apex of the turn.

Source: Wikipedia

It's a tough one to learn because too much turning angle will create understeer and you'll go barreling off the track. But if you nail your nail angle speed and brake release simultaneously, you'll float through corners. This technique makes cars on CH and SH tyres a dream to drive.

Last edited:
This mornings improvement. Optimal just under 25. Donโ€™t feel smooth anywhere. Just wrestling it around esp. in the esses. Canโ€™t get a consistent line through the second right hander to the back straight. Tried TCS 0, possible potential to be faster but to heavy footed.
IMG_2618.jpeg
IMG_2619.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, the knee was a stupid, terrible judgement call. I jumped out the bed of a friend's lifted Toyota Hilux (that's what you call them down there right?) and landed wrong. Walked on it for 8 months trying to be tough, until I had to get it fixed.

Second one, I got tackled by a guy who was messing around with me. I stepped back quickly and landed in a rut with my foot twisted behind and he kept driving me over until we were in a pile and my ankle couldn't take the weight. It popped. Spiral fracture about 6 inches long of my fibula because this tough guy kid wanted to see if he was big enough to take me down.

Oh also I broke my left ankle when my foot slipped off the footpeg of my buddy's 230 quadsport when I was 13 and got run over while I was still on the seat. That one hurt.
Reminded me of this:

Let me just say though that trail braking is horrible in GT7. Not very intuitive at all, and it's been one of the biggest struggles I've had in the game.

In the past when I've played sims, trail braking has been natural and easy to pull off when you know how to do it. But GT7 barely allows you to do it, and it's something I've been forced to adapt to, and still occasionally forgetting to lay off the brake.

Old habits die hard. :indiff:

Last edited:
zjn
just out of curiosity... is he still there? Someone please notify him that on Jun 9 there's a Toyota GT Cup there
Please don't!! We're witnessing the world's first perpetual motion machine! And it's even more impressive given the fact he found a way to preserve fuel (and engine life) for all eternity...

Has he also inadvertently solved the problem of the Earth's fuel reserves? :eek:

Last edited:
This mornings improvement. Optimal just under 25. Donโ€™t feel smooth anywhere. Just wrestling it around esp. in the esses. Canโ€™t get a consistent line through the second right hander to the back straight. Tried TCS 0, possible potential to be faster but to heavy footed. View attachment 1345959View attachment 1345961
You're running my exact times here. I ran another 70 laps yesterday evening and had an OPT of 24.992 for the second time now. The esses are a bit of a gamble and that second right-hander before the back straight always feels clunky to me. Nice lap nonetheless!

You got your fastest time on a lap with 0 green sectors. There is more for you out there still!

zjn
just out of curiosity... is he still there? Someone please notify him that on Jun 9 there's a Toyota GT Cup there
As i remember took him significant longer time to start rolling.
It was a past race that i lap a car at la sarthe on my 4th lap and just look the replay from curiosity since i wasn't racing with a fast car .

Never happens again but i think is the limit of humiliation ๐Ÿคฃ
Even on purpose you can't to that .

Thanks Martin , i bet you can't do that .

Last edited:
Another rant at Suzuka (down to a seven-hundreths off silver now, 1.41.541)

1. You can do like 5 laps in a row at best before electric power goes. Not sure if that matters in TT but it's annoying visually and maybe a placebo? Can anyone confirm if it actually matters? As it really impacts the rhythm as well

2. Going off at 130R can sometimes invalidate the next lap despite the fact there's a chicane between that and the straight?

One more lap..... Just one.... (see you all at 9.53pm)

Last edited:
Let me just say though that trail braking is horrible in GT7. Not very intuitive at all, and it's been one of the biggest struggles I've had in the game.

In the past when I've played sims, trail braking has been natural and easy to pull off when you know how to do it. But GT7 barely allows you to do it, and it's something I've been forced to adapt to, and still occasionally forgetting to lay off the brake.

Old habits die hard. :indiff:
I blame the ABS. I found ABS normal is way too strong and it makes the car way too understeery during trail braking. ABS weak is ok, but I still think it is a bit on the strobg side. I've tried no ABS but I can't get it to work in any of the race cars....I just lock the tires right away. In street car with SH tires, it seem to work a lot better.

Is anyone able to extract more time in the KTM TT by engine braking down to 2nd before the last chicane? I noticed that it's quite stable going to 2nd then shifting to 3rd for the left-hander and then up to fourth for the right-hander but I haven't been able to nail it. My fastest time so far involves only going down to third with a longer brake zone.

I didn't think I could do it today but just one last lap before turning off the console and here I am under 1'26 with a time of 1'25'871

View attachment 1345987

Your lines are nice Jeje!, and again gold on the first try ๐Ÿ˜
I think you can maximize your T1 a bit by going wider, that way you can take more speed with you ๐Ÿ˜
And I think you can win some at the start of the S'es by or staying in 4th and lift like you do but staying longer in 4th, or before your liftmoment go to 5th to prevent oversteer, you now have both options ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

This one is all about beeing brave ๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Mr french man hauling with them big boys 1๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Great job Jeje!

Your lines are nice Jeje!, and again gold on the first try ๐Ÿ˜
I think you can maximize your T1 a bit by going wider, that way you can take more speed with you ๐Ÿ˜
And I think you can win some at the start of the S'es by or staying in 4th and lift like you do but staying longer in 4th, or before your liftmoment go to 5th to prevent oversteer, you now have both options ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

This one is all about beeing brave ๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Mr french man hauling with them big boys 1๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Great job Jeje!
Thank you very much my friend:cheers: .
It's thanks to you that I was able to realize this time because I watched your video a lot and the ghost that I am is yours. :bowdown:
I will try your option of staying in 4th in the S and switching to 5th on the descent. As for the first corner, I still have a little trouble being consistent at this point (braking point) and having enough speed on exit.
Bravo to you too for your time and for your beautiful tour my friend.๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘:cheers::cheers:

A quick pre-dinner trip to Atlanta to start off the weekend showed promising results, maybe later tonight I can have a more extended session. ๐Ÿคฉ

1712942668051.png

Unfortunately forgot to save the replay AND exited after having restarted so the replay is unavailable. Reason enough that I have to improve at least once :)

Back