Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 25,599 comments
As a fan/player of Gran Turismo games since the start, GT7 has reached a point where it accurately reflects real motorsport insofar as you need to have money to compete. If you don't have PS5, you're at a massive disadvantage. Even then, if you don't have a decent wheel and pedals set-up, you're still not on a level playing field.

This time trial basically reflects how tilted the game has become. How can it possibly be right that people playing on PS4/DS4 are being measured in absolute terms against players using completely different hardware. And that the game then awards credits on that basis? There is nothing in the game literature or marketing material that clearly states that PS4 users are at an immediate disadvantage and will not be able to "compete" in the way that PD imply they will.

Players I used to regularly beat when we were on PS4 are 1-1.5 seconds a lap faster now. And much of that is because they've bought new hardware.

I wonder how the leaderboards would look for PS4/DS4 vs PS4/Wheel vs PS5/DS5 vs PS5/Wheel.

Post update PS4 players can't race online due to the weird warping issue. And we're at a massive hardware disadvantage on this time trial combo, too.

Good numbers. Per above, can you split that by hardware?
While the warping/lag issue sucks it’s a technical issue. People don’t suddenly gain a second because they got a PS5. To add to that, DS4 and DualSense controllers are perfectly fine and competitive in time trials.

How exactly am I at a disadvantage here if I’m on a DualSense? That said, I wouldn’t mind seeing inputs next to names on the leaderboards, that’d be pretty cool.

DS4 user here and I'm starting to bite my fingers... I had every gold so far, so giving up is not an option right now. Currently stuck at 1:01.0xx, and I'm about to try TC1 to see where I can gain some time with it. I read about someone having success with it a few posts ago... Good luck to all, as the gold time keeps dropping 😵

DS4 user here and I'm starting to bite my fingers... I had every gold so far, so giving up is not an option right now. Currently stuck at 1:01.0xx, and I'm about to try TC1 to see where I can gain some time with it. I read about someone having success with it a few posts ago... Good luck to all, as the gold time keeps dropping 😵
You've golded everything on a DualShock? Then you should be able to get this one! Props to you man.

You've golded everything on a DualShock? Then you should be able to get this one! Props to you man.
For me Dualshock is no disadvantage most of the time, and I'm quite quick with it, but this one is on another level.
Very frustrating, but I like the fact that maby I'm just to slow to gold it, don't know if it's a DS4 problem or my 41 yo brain that can't handel the speed 🤣
I'll keep fighting 😁

For me Dualshock is no disadvantage most of the time, and I'm quite quick with it, but this one is on another level.
Very frustrating, but I like the fact that maby I'm just to slow to gold it, don't know if it's a DS4 problem or my 41 yo brain that can't handel the speed 🤣
I'll keep fighting 😁
Your words resume my thoughts, and I'm only 30 :lol: Keep on fighting man, we'll get through it eventually!

While the warping/lag issue sucks it’s a technical issue. People don’t suddenly gain a second because they got a PS5. To add to that, DS4 and DualSense controllers are perfectly fine and competitive in time trials.

How exactly am I at a disadvantage here if I’m on a DualSense? That said, I wouldn’t mind seeing inputs next to names on the leaderboards, that’d be pretty cool.
You're at an advantage on the DualSense Vs DS4. The PS5 controller has functionality that the PS4 controller does not. The benefit of that is real, but variable based on car/track. Based on my friends, on the current time trial, it's worth about a second.

Previous versions of the game did show control input device.

I'll keep fighting 😁

Come on, that's not a valid excuse. When you've come to my age, we can talk.🤣

You're at an advantage on the DualSense Vs DS4. The PS5 controller has functionality that the PS4 controller does not. The benefit of that is real, but variable based on car/track. Based on my friends, on the current time trial, it's worth about a second.

Previous versions of the game did show control input device.
I’m aware the DS4 feels slightly different than the DualSense, I have north of 3,600 hours on GT Sport. But I didn’t gain this kind of time you’re talking about after switching controller, absolutely not. The claim is quite absurd to be frank.

What’s your time on the current TT so far, then?

I managed a 1:00.216, 59s are possible for me if I string the sectors together but I'm pretty hit and miss most of the lapaand with the way times are dropping I feel as though it'll need to be improved
On the PS4, using DS4
Have you saved the replay ? I would love to have a glimpse at this one if possible. I just improved slightly at 1:00.9xx, but now I'm really hitting a wall with my ds4. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I usually don't struggle that much with getting gold :dunce:

Also, amazing work on that lap time! I'm pretty confident you are safe with this one. Well done - It shows everyone it can be done on a good ol' pad 😎 It just takes a bit of skill and a lot of patience...

I don't think I'm getting the gold for this one. I played for almost 3 hours last night and I barely improved. It's the mind games which suck, much like the Lewis Hamilton challenge. You get really good at the first sector because you do it more than any other, which gives you confidence heading into the next sector. You think "Oh I'm on a good lap here" and then immediately stuff up the next corner because you've gone in too hot and given away the time you gained beforehand. When you don't do sectors 2 and 3 as often as 1, you're more likely to make a mistake later in the lap. I don't if I can be bothered wasting 3 hours a night for the next week trying to crack this. I have better things to do.

I don't understand it sometimes. Yesterday I could not improve on my best time from my first session (the 1:02.202 mentioned a couple pages back). Tonight I was struggling to do the same. Every time I thought I might get close, I would jack up the exit of the chicane. I was about to call it quits for the night after my umpteenth time sliding into the barriers from going wide in turn 1, even exiting the time trial. But then I decided to go in for one more try. First lap: 1:01.9 - new personal best. Lap 2: 1:01.694. Lap 3: Went off track in turn 1. Lap 4: 1:01.431. Silver out of nowhere. :confused:

I mean, I'll take it. I just have no idea where the improvement suddenly came from after so much struggling. I will keep watching to see if I'm in danger of losing silver. I don't have another second in me to reach gold, at least not with my skill using the DS4. Major props to those who can run in the 1:00's. Even more so to the aliens running sub 1:00. 👽

Sitting on a 1.00.429, sees that the #1 time has dropped to a 1.00.506 😬

I gave it a good 2-3 hrs, so this one's not worth more effort, especially when that lap I pretty much got 3 good sectors together as well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221211-114755~3.png
    Screenshot_20221211-114755~3.png
    66.9 KB · Views: 7
Decided to give it another shot and pulled off a 1:00.3 in about 15 minutes, which surprised me. Not sure what I did differently but uh.. I'll take it.

Using DualSense - though I've switched between PS4/PS5 a fair few times as I've moved between places and I don't think there's much time difference between the two controllers, it's mostly just what you're used to and what you prefer. There's probably about a tenth or two in it between them across a lap.

Seems to be all about sector 1 for me. Have to carry so much more speed than is comfortable and get on the grass. Think I would have preferred stricter track limits. Sector 2 and 3 i can cruise through with relative safety and not lose more than a few tenths which I'm ok with in order to ensure I bank a lap after a good sector 1 since that only happens once in a blue moon.

I've been downshifting to 4th before upshifting to 5th again in the corners on sector 1. Not sure if just doing it all in 5th would be faster, or if it only works if you're carrying a lot of speed.

And everytime I nail sector one ( for my beeing) I **** up some other corner....., fastest sector one was 21.4xx this morning, that would have been a real PB.....but shifted to 5th instead of 4th at the first corner of sector 2 😭😭🤣
I think a 21.4 is just enough for gold.

But my problem is I get so much less opportunity to practice sectors 2 and 3 due to crashing that I've decided my strategy is to just go balls to the wall on sector 1 and aim for a 21.1 or 2 and then not take any unnecessary risk on sector 2 and 3 and see what happens.

Have you saved the replay ? I would love to have a glimpse at this one if possible. I just improved slightly at 1:00.9xx, but now I'm really hitting a wall with my ds4. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I usually don't struggle that much with getting gold :dunce:

Also, amazing work on that lap time! I'm pretty confident you are safe with this one. Well done - It shows everyone it can be done on a good ol' pad 😎 It just takes a bit of skill and a lot of patience...
I did actually record my session so I've uploaded it below, lost at least 2 tenths at T3 and 4 from braking slightly too late and losing the rear on exit (going off my S1 times on later laps), my sector 2 was pretty good as I struggled to match it on later laps and the chicane I think I could've gone slightly quicker

If you want to view in game just add to your collection from here

RoadAtlanta2017.png

How I was going about the lap was: The lap starts at the chicane so firstly make sure you get a good exit out of there, T1 is flat, just turn in when you get to the grass on the left.
For T3 I was using the first set of dashed lines as a braking reference, as you pass them, brake, drop down to 5th, throw the car in when you get to the kerb on the left and floor it out.
For T5 the start of the kerb was the brake reference and once again dropping down to 5th and throwing it in.
For T6 you can use the electrical post on the right as a reference and you want to exit T7 in 4th gear to avoid wheelspin
For T10 brake just before the 2nd set of dashed lines, drop to 3rd for the first apex then upshift to 4th for the exit

Though saying that it was mostly just chucking it in and hoping the kerbs didn't spit me out. :lol:

I've golded everything on DS4, apart from the Suzuka challenge when someone set a fast lap near the end of the trial, which dropped my time into Silver and I didn't notice.
I'll keep fighting 😁
Similar. Whereas you can normally replicate what you can see on replays, I haven't gotten to a setting which lets me get anything like the steering response.
What are you struggling with? Friends I have spoken to have said it's like playing a different game.
I’m aware the DS4 feels slightly different than the DualSense, I have north of 3,600 hours on GT Sport. But I didn’t gain this kind of time you’re talking about after switching controller, absolutely not. The claim is quite absurd to be frank.

What’s your time on the current TT so far, then?
I've not put much time into it yet, but currently 1:02. PS5 friends I'd previously be comparable to are straight in at 59.5-1:00.3
I need to spend a while getting the settings right.
I managed a 1:00.216, 59s are possible for me if I string the sectors together but I'm pretty hit and miss most of the lapaand with the way times are dropping I feel as though it'll need to be improved
On the PS4, using DS4
How I was going about the lap was: The lap starts at the chicane so firstly make sure you get a good exit out of there, T1 is flat, just turn in when you get to the grass on the left.
For T3 I was using the first set of dashed lines as a braking reference, as you pass them, brake, drop down to 5th, throw the car in when you get to the kerb on the left and floor it out.
For T5 the start of the kerb was the brake reference and once again dropping down to 5th and throwing it in.
For T6 you can use the electrical post on the right as a reference and you want to exit T7 in 4th gear to avoid wheelspin
For T10 brake just before the 2nd set of dashed lines, drop to 3rd for the first apex then upshift to 4th for the exit

Though saying that it was mostly just chucking it in and hoping the kerbs didn't spit me out. :lol:
What settings are you using please?

The "throw" bit, I just don't have. T10 in particular, the front end just does nothing.

Back