Time Trial NTSC vs PAL GT4

  • Thread starter Thread starter ishuffle
  • 19 comments
  • 1,581 views
Messages
1
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone could help me on this.

We are doing a Time Trial battle online (Sharing times).

My question is...

Would the times be different on a PAL system vs NTSC system?

The guys are all using PAL consoles with PAL GT4 copies. Mines also a PAL but for some reason (LOL) it can play NTSC games :p. Just got a NTSC copy of GT4.

Thanks
 
It will be different. The game performs differently in PAL and the physics model was rebuilt for it.
 
I dont think so Lapdog, the graphics are better yes but that has to do with PAL itself.

The times should relitivly be the same
 
I don't see why there would be any difference. 1 second = 1 second, regardless of where you are.

On some games, this may be the case, since a lot of companies get lazy with the frame-rate conversion and simply slow down or speed up the entire game to get it to match up. But PD didn't do that with GT4.. that's part of the "optimization" they did for PAL, so that it would still display at exactly the same speed, even though it was a different frame-rate.
 
i agree with jedi.
 
So my question is: which (PAL or NTSC) is more difficult??

I read somewhere that the times (the minimum time you need to get to pass a certain test) are different between the 2 systems. :confused:
 
There's no difference in times! Why would you think that? Same game!
The graphics are a bit better on NTSC tho.
 
I guess you're a yank? (Whoever posted last post) Because it has been stated PAL graphics are better than NTSC, even though I have not tested this myself, it looks to be the case from photos.

And yes, some licence times are also different apparently. Not sure of this either though.
 
There used to be a difference with the times on NTSC and PAL versions,but i don't know if it affects this game.

And the Pal version doesn't have HD so i don't know how the gfx could be better.
 
ok, the gold time for liscenses are different from NTSC to PAL, PAL have the faster time, PAL have better graphics, if you dont understand why research what NTSC is and then what PAL is.
 
On Mariokart on the snes,the difference in 50hz and 60hz meant there was a difference in the lap times.This was the same in most other games.Even fighting games played slower than their 60hz counterparts.

And you're saying that the Pal version will look better than the Hi-def pic i'm getting on my NTSC version through my projector?
 
lol the european people are just mad they cant get it on 1080i. :sly:
 
The Japanese and Yanks need slower times for golds because they need their ego's boosting even though they suck at the game on average? :p

jk
 
Not with GT4. The times should be identical and all achievable regardless of NTSC or PAL version.

I know that some games like Mario Kart 64 had different timing for NTSC and PAL. It was weird. NTSC could get times around 4 seconds faster than PAL.
 
look mate, how many times do we have to tell you, Gold times are different for PAL, we have it faster.

db.granturismo.de has all the liscense times in PAL, go cross reference the gold times with your NTSC version.
 
Small_Fryz
look mate, how many times do we have to tell you, Gold times are different for PAL, we have it faster.

db.granturismo.de has all the liscense times in PAL, go cross reference the gold times with your NTSC version.


backing up what small_fryz said: the S-16 license is listed as 7:00.700 on that site, but gold for my NTSC version is 7:07.700 - a difference of 7 seconds. I'm sure there are many other examples but I'm too lazy to look.

HOWEVER, 3rdgenracerX has the fastest time (over a second faster than anyone else) and he is using the US version. This is not to say that the US version can get better lap times, more likely it is just that 3rdgenracerX can get better lap times :P
 
I wondered about a difference in physics between PAL and NTSC and took the same car round the 'Ring in both versions. There was less than 10 seconds in it and I was marginally more untidy on the slower run (can't remember which was which) which probably accounts for the difference.
 
wolf8218
lol the european people are just mad they cant get it on 1080i. :sly:

Nope, wrong!!! I am European and I'm not mad because my LCD monitor (with composite and S-video connectors) doesn't support 1080i. :dopey:

I really don't care if I can get 1080i or not.
 
A couple of days ago I posted a thread with all the licences times of the PAL version, to compare them with the NTSC version. This thread isn't allowed by the moderators. I was wondering where I can find a list with the NTSC licences times???
 
Back