Time Trials BUNK!! GTP_ effort.

  • Thread starter Thread starter sxboyd
  • 29 comments
  • 2,234 views

sxboyd

Premium
Messages
94
Messages
GTP_SeniorL8R
Messages
Maybe one day - PS rules
Come on PD, get it together. After working several nights to break into the top 20 in every venue, both Standard and Professional) with the Acura NSX, I got into another car and started to try the same - it is a quest.

After driving around several laps at the High Speed Ring in the Alfa 147, I was unable to get into the top 30, still more than 3 seconds off the time I need.

So I go to the Time Trial Rankings and check out the Replay for the top 10 times and was VERY frustrated because ALL of them had used the wall hard in turn 2 with out braking at all, then ricocheted back onto the track to continue without penalty - com'on!!! They also rode the berm all the way around the last turn coming onto the front straight - what the hey?!

I guess this means if we are going to get more GTP_ names up on the Time Trial Rankings, we are going to have to abandon our better driving skills and learn to drive like morons bouncing off the walls and making these "realistic" cars act like the auto-physics of NeedforSpeed and other arcade.

I will keep working to put up times in the top 20, but it looks like I'm gonna have to learn some wall striking and berm riding skills.
 
Agreed, it's quite unfair. I would assume Polyphony has access to all the time trial replays, and if so, they'd better review and disqualify any of the top times that use wall-riding techniques until they find the fastest clean race.
 
Shouldn't be necessary to implement after-the-fact disqualification: just programme: NO CONTACT of any sort in TTs allowed.

I don't even bother with HSR.
 
A better idea: avoid high-speed ring entirely and don't drive like a jerk just to get your name on a list. Other tracks are lacking this problem. Hopefully PD will fix it.
 
I've had the same problem with the Daytona Oval time trial. I have a great setup for that track with the Tuned Corvette, but can I get near the top times on the table? Can I hell!!! I've even downloaded the ghost for the fastest times, and on several occasions have been faster, but not with the wall riding. Well, its not actually wall riding at Daytona. Somehow, they have managed to ricochet off the wall, without penalty!

Like yourself, I have found myself having to compete against the 'cancer' that afflicts Gran Turismo. This again, is why I rarely race online. Gran Turismo is not a game of skill, but a haven for cheaters!
 
Well at least if you do Eiger time trials you will not have this problem.
 
I have moaned about T2 at the HSR before. Not only for TTs but when racing, it is even worse when you get rammed from behind because you are the only one braking. It is quite simple PD need to implement a 10sec penalty for hitting the walls in certain places at various tracks.
Actually there is a glitch in the Eiger R which my son found when getting his braking all wrong coming out of the tunnel - though I am not sure what this translates into for a full lap.
 
My best to date is the Mustang at Daytona road course. 17th:tup: 22nd with the GT40
 
The lancia delta on london reverse is very easy to get into the top 20
 
It is a simple problem to fix.
A) Delete the records from HSR @ The Oval (sadly)
B) Imply the same contact rule that is enforced on the drifting trials. :) ..
 
This is why we avoid HSR because its simply pointless trying to go for a lap.

Speaking of time trials I must admit to finding myself rather half hearted recently when going for them. The reason for this is because at first we were tempted to go for top 10 times on every track (except HSR) using all the cars on both standard & Pro physics. However am I right in assuming that whenever the next update arrives this will completely wipe the boards? If this is true then its a shame they can't find a way of updating without wiping the boards because im sure many more racers would go for them.
 
They should ban the cheaters from all the leaderboads.
What id HSR?
 
Depending on the car used you can break into the top 20 and higher without bashing the wall on the Speedway and HSR

Sometimes these idiots just bash the wall because everyone else is. I've noticed that on the HSR, depending on the car, if you run the turn to the bridge cleanly you actually can get a decent time as you're not having to recover. You won't get top ten more than likely, but you can break top 20 for sure. Same with the Superspeedway.

Gran Turismo is not a game of skill, but a haven for cheaters!

Again, I don't blame the 'cheaters' PD coded this stuff into their game, its an easy fix. They obviously leave it in for a reason. Not sure what the hell that would be, but if they are giving you a time penalty for hitting the barrier, it would be just as easy to terminate your run and have it quit to the menu. Simple.
 
What bugs me at Eiger is the way you BONK into the wire fence! I live for the day when doing this results in taking out a couple of spectators & plunging to utter destruction in the valley below. :)
 
What bugs me at Eiger is the way you BONK into the wire fence! I live for the day when doing this results in taking out a couple of spectators & plunging to utter destruction in the valley below. :)

+1

Especially when those scumbags "boo" me in drift trials and I'm, like "yeah if it wasn't for that magical car proof plastic I'd get y'all for that"
 
Ya those invisible barriers are soooooooooooooo hokey.

What truly bothers me on the Eiger is that you are getting time penalties for taking what is CLEARLY a legit racing line. 🤬:mad:
 
What truly bothers me on the Eiger is that you are getting time penalties for taking what is CLEARLY a legit racing line. 🤬:mad:

I'm curious about this comment, as I've only gotten a penalty at Eiger when I either touch the wall (*ahem*, fence) or put all 4 wheels off.

Where is this legit line that nets you a penalty?
 
Where is this legit line that nets you a penalty?

Like everywhere! If you cut most corners and drop a wheel of the track in most cases you'll get a penalty. Sorry but there is no way that should happen. For instance cutting to the inside coming to the start/finish if you cut too fine you'll get the time penalty and the next lap one as well.

It's not soft sand or gavel, it's hard packed dirt that is definitely drivable without causing you to wreck. 👍
 
Like everywhere! If you cut most corners and drop a wheel of the track in most cases you'll get a penalty. Sorry but there is no way that should happen. For instance cutting to the inside coming to the start/finish if you cut too fine you'll get the time penalty and the next lap one as well.

Ah, I see what you are talking about. 4 wheels off-track at any time is generally considered a no-no, so any of the points you consider to be legit, I would consider to be a disqualifying shortcut.

At Eiger, the main places where this was consistently done in GT-HD were the right hand bend right before the bridge (which is still allowed, btw), "wall riding" the long right hander after the tunnel (which is not), bouncing off the back of the final hairpin (not allowed), or getting all 4 wheels off-road on the left hand side of the track before the start/finish line (not allowed).

I'd much rather have the penalties be too picky than too permissive. Adding penalties to all of the above actions (and a few others) have drastically improved the quality of the TT competition at this track.

For additional thoughts on this matter, check out this thread, and the standard clean race rules from the WRS:
Standard clean OLR rules:

* 2 wheels on (or vertically in line with) the track at all times
* rumble/ripple strips are part of the track
* no contact with walls or objects, visible or invisible
* if you're not 100% sure that your lap is clean, then consider it dirty
(first 4 rules quoted, for brevity and emphasis)
 
Ah, I see what you are talking about. 4 wheels off-track at any time is generally considered a no-no, so any of the points you consider to be legit, I would consider to be a disqualifying shortcut.

K, well I'm not putting 4 wheels into the dirt. I'm not even sure you can get the whole car off the track there. I know in the other places, the second HP for instance I think it is, I know there is no way to get all 4 off the track. And that's not what I'm into anyway, if you're trying to run your car off the track totally then you're more or less trying to cheat. I'm talking about shaving corners and running a straighter line in some cases.

I've been on the forum long enough to know about making clean runs on the honor system and backing it up with video.(300mph board). 👍
 
K, well I'm not putting 4 wheels into the dirt. I'm not even sure you can get the whole car off the track there. I know in the other places, the second HP for instance I think it is, I know there is no way to get all 4 off the track. And that's not what I'm into anyway, if you're trying to run your car off the track totally then you're more or less trying to cheat. I'm talking about shaving corners and running a straighter line in some cases.

I've run several hundred laps here in GT-HD, and another couple hundred in GT5p. I've never been assessed a penalty I thought was undeserved.

Truth be told, that doesn't mean that it's not possible: it just means I'm not trying to shave time/space in those areas. I've noticed that some areas are tagged "oddly", but make sense when considering the reverse direction of the track. You may be running afoul of this.

Bottom line, from where I sit, is that I'd rather have the penalties be more restrictive than less.

I've been on the forum long enough to know about making clean runs on the honor system and backing it up with video.(300mph board). 👍

I know you've been here longer than I, and I respect that. No disrespect was intended.
 
I think the penalty system works just fine on Eiger. I have several top times there in pro physics, and the only laps I've been penalized on are ones where I pushed way too hard and smacked a wall, or cut deeply through the dirt.

I think I'd like a no-touching-dirt TT of Eiger too. Makes the corkscrew and the last turn a little more technical.

Diving off the edge instead of slamming an invisible barrier would be pretty cool. :D I'd like to see wide-eyed onlookers scatter and bail when they see your car about to plunge through.

Edit: Thinking back on it, I can see your point on the section of dirt right before the finish. It can be difficult to gauge just how much you can get into the dirt there without suffering a penalty until you get used to it. Still, the laps on Eiger are much cleaner as a result of the penalties. GTHD top times can get pretty dirty.
 
No disrespect was intended

None taken. I just meant that I'm used to the way the TT's and such are set up here when it comes to 'clean' runs and such. That's one thing I like about the whole 'video confirmation' part of the 300 mph board. You know you can't post a speed if you did something stupid, you'll get burned and everyone will stomp on your head. :)

Well I get nabbed in three places specifically. S/F (I stopped cutting it as it was not worth the hassle.) The second HP in the corkscrew and the coming into the tight RH before the S/F on the left side. Am I cutting it close? Sure, just don't think it's that bad. But hey, whatever....;)
 
I just avoid HSR and the oval. Apart from anything else, they bore me.

I've plenty of top twenty times on Daytona Road and Suzuka on both pro and standard in a variety of cars though (quite a random variety, and nothing very fast so far - fastest is probably the Audi R8 of the cars I've done).
 
I have moaned about T2 at the HSR before. Not only for TTs but when racing, it is even worse when you get rammed from behind because you are the only one braking. It is quite simple PD need to implement a 10sec penalty for hitting the walls in certain places at various tracks.
Actually there is a glitch in the Eiger R which my son found when getting his braking all wrong coming out of the tunnel - though I am not sure what this translates into for a full lap.

If you check the Time Trial Ranking for Eiger, you will see that the tip time for the M3 Coupe uses the fence at the end of the tunnel to get his car turned through the hard left hander. However, if you notice the time posted by the Japanese driver that WAS in 2nd place, you will see that it can be done with superior driving without using the ricochet effect.
 
They should ban the cheaters from all the leaderboads.
What id HSR?

HSR = High Speed Ring

BTW. After being frustrated by the times posted by the other drivers that were striking the fences and riding the berms, I yielded to the needs of my weak male ego to excell using the same code of driving. I posted a 3rd place at the HSR and a 1st place time at the HSR Reverse in the Alfa Romeo 147 TI. Now ain't that a ________?!

Don't worry. I will never use these tactics in offline or online races.

BTW. PS. I raced someone on line the other night that cut through the infild at Suzuka from the exit of Turn 1 to the entrance of the second S Curve. His user name was Baltimore 80. He wasn't rally that good though, because we would catch up with him about halfway through the lap, and after we put enough pressure on him (NO CONTACT), he ran off in one of the turns and fell back to about 5th position at the beginning of the last lap. Guess what? He quit before the race ended. Yes, Baltimore80, some of us do pay attention to these things.

I even keep a log of best drivers, most fun, worst drivers, cheaters, and apologies that I need to make/have made.
 
^
Awesome!​

You're so good....You're actually....Very Good!​

Bravo!​
 
Again, I don't blame the 'cheaters' PD coded this stuff into their game, its an easy fix. They obviously leave it in for a reason. Not sure what the hell that would be, but if they are giving you a time penalty for hitting the barrier, it would be just as easy to terminate your run and have it quit to the menu. Simple.

Yeah PD have programmed this into the game, but I can't believe they would let it lie like they do. The only reason I can possibly think that PD WOULD let it lie is so that they can get the cheaters to show them all the possible shortcuts, wall rides, and nasty tactics etc, and then blitz them all with the autumn update. They seriously have to be looking at the situation, or GT5 will be a right stinker!
 
Back